Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Curcumin bioavailability
Irmagart Offline

Curcumin bioavailability
Please let me know if there is a way to increase bioavailability of turmeric. What should I check when buying turmeric pills?. I want to use them as cancer and altzheimer's prevention but there are a lot of claims about their lack of bioavailability.
Is it worth spending money buying turmeric in pill form? What is the ideal dosage for prevention. Thanks for your help...
03-03-2014 07:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scandinavian Offline

RE: Curcumin bioavailability
actually i had the same question, but then yesterday i was listening to this interview by Dr. William LaValley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpADHkUcR...e=youtu.be

where everything is explained.

it seems like when you get the 95-percent concentration orally in a capsule, only 1% of that could be absorbed!!!

that´s not much, so he actually get´s into boiling the capsules and then dissolve them for 10-12 min. and after that the absorption rise to 12%!!

But then they talk about all the mess there would be in the kitchen and on your clothes after this boiling...so it kinds of end there, maybe you have some ideas James
03-04-2014 01:19 AM
stanley Offline

In my opinion the best Turmeric supplement should contain a full spectrum of active and synergistic chemicals in proportion as nature made.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2014 03:43 AM by stanley.)
03-04-2014 03:31 AM
eoeoe69 Offline

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21532153

Also some people says using with black pepper increases absorbtion, but i dont really know...
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2014 02:25 PM by eoeoe69.)
03-24-2014 02:22 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(03-03-2014 07:45 PM)Irmagart Wrote:  Please let me know if there is a way to increase bioavailability of turmeric. What should I check when buying turmeric pills?. I want to use them as cancer and altzheimer's prevention but there are a lot of claims about their lack of bioavailability.
Is it worth spending money buying turmeric in pill form? What is the ideal dosage for prevention. Thanks for your help...

Curcumin from turmeric is poorly absorbed. But that does not mean other compounds in turmeric are all poorly absorbed and curcumin is only one of the active compounds found in turmeric.

Also keep in mind that if a substance is poorly absorbed maybe it is that way for a reason. For example, saponins from plants are not absorbed at all because if they did come in to contact with the blood they would hemolyze the red blood cells. Therefore, they serve their functions in the digestive tract, not inside the blood.

You can increase the absorbability of curcumin by taking it with a little yucca root (Yucca schidegra). But again I would not focus too hard on increasing absorbability without knowing if high doses of curcumin in the blood is safe.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
05-04-2014 10:42 PM