Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Food Connection to Health
Ice_Drake1 Offline

Food Connection to Health
I have read up on lots of articles mentioning how being "too acidic" is bad and alkaline is a way to go, but no one has really made the connection to how food affects health through the imbalance of pH level. Till I read an article explaining the myth of acid and alkaline balance, it is slowly being clear to me as to what might be connection of foods to pH balancing.

The whole problem starts with this confusion: When someone tell you are "too acidic", you are supposed to eat more alkaline forming foods. When someone tell you are "too alkaline", you are supposed to eat more acidic forming foods. In reality, being “too acidic” supposed to mean “not enough acid” (or hypochlorhydria) and being "too alkaline" supposed to mean "not enough alkaline"; thus, when you are "too acidic", you are supposed to eat more acidic foods or alkaline forming foods to balance out the pH imbalance in the stomach. The stomach needs to be within pH level of 1.5 to 3.5 to digest properly. When you are "too acidic", it means that you eat too much alkaline foods (e.g. junk foods) for your stomach to be able to digest. Thus, it would explain why drinking acidic fluids like lemon or lime helps with digesting. On the other hand, if nothing is done to help the stomach with the digestion, waste acid would be drained from the bowel to balance out the pH level. This will lead to the experience of burping, bloating, heartburn, and if worse, GERD. Fortunately, if you are "too alkaline" meaning that you eat too much acidic foods, your stomach can easily balance the pH level with the help of pancreas and gallbladder.

Going back to the "too acidic" problem, as a result of the waste acid being drained from the bowel, most of the nutrients absorption that supposed to occur in the small intestine doesn’t occur. Over time, this causes malnutrition, which will, in turn, leads to inefficiency of acid excretion. Excess acid would cause the pH level of blood to drop. Of course, to maintain normal operation for the blood, each part of the body would have to make up for the changes in pH level just to keep pH level of blood within the right level. Depending on which part of the body is making up for the changes, negative symptoms would appear in that area. Acnes, for example, would mostly likely occur when the skin cells become too acidic. And the skin cells become acidic due to the fact it is making up the changes in high pH level in blood. Thus, your body works around the pH level of blood.

Going back to the main question at hand "does food affect pH level?", the answer is "yes and no". Food doesn't affect pH level directly, but it does indirectly through a chain of problems later on. This is what I was able to conclude based on the reading I have done. Please correct me if I am wrong.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2014 04:17 PM by Ice_Drake1.)
02-08-2014 04:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply