Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Alkaline water
Guillermo Mujica Offline

Alkaline water
Hi James... I met you on a video where you talk about the myth of alkaline water... Thank you!

I just build an alkalinzer device to fight a problem I have with the Colon... My doctor called it distress colon? Or something like that... In spanish: Colon Irritable... He recommended Probiotics & I wanted to help with the alkaline water.

After watching you video, now I'm confused... Could you please bring some light into this matter?... Thank you very much in advance.

Guillermo
01-21-2014 10:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Alkaline water
(01-21-2014 10:20 PM)Guillermo Mujica Wrote:  Hi James... I met you on a video where you talk about the myth of alkaline water... Thank you!

I just build an alkalinzer device to fight a problem I have with the Colon... My doctor called it distress colon? Or something like that... In spanish: Colon Irritable... He recommended Probiotics & I wanted to help with the alkaline water.

After watching you video, now I'm confused... Could you please bring some light into this matter?... Thank you very much in advance.

Guillermo

It sounds like they are referring to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), which has been linked to low intestinal flora. This can cause alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea.

The best way to deal with IBS is with cultured food such as kefirs, fresh sauerkraut, cultured vegetables, miso, tempeh, etc. This will help to re-establish some of the beneficial bacteria. Increasing fiber intake also helps since the fibers feed the beneficial bacteria.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
01-28-2014 05:35 AM
Guillermo Mujica Offline

Thank's... That's just what I'm been reading on the net... But,
What about drinking alkaline water?... Will it help, or damage the benefitial bacteria?.
Do you know of any scientific study on this matter?
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 08:56 PM by Guillermo Mujica.)
01-29-2014 08:49 PM
Mikus Offline

Hi, I just watched your youtube video as well. Thank you for the great info! I hope it's ok if I add another question in this thread.

For a while now I am trying to find the best water solution for where I live (Adelaide, Australia) but unfortunately I haven't found a source of spring water yet (that is affordable). Because there is flouride added to the tap water here - and I really don't want that in my drinking water - my husband and I opted for a undersink reverse osmosis system with a water ionizer (called 'Ecovortek'). We know that reverse osmosis water is really not that great either, but wanting to get rid of the flouride we really didn't find many options. To remineralize the water we add a few grains of unrefined sea salt, a bit of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar before we drink it. We also realized that the water is very alkaline (we measured a pH of 10)... how 'acidic' should drinking water be? And would adding a bit of lemon/ACV to bring the pH down make the reverse osmosis water an ok choice? (I'd still keep adding the sea salt as well)

Thanks in advance for your response.
02-02-2014 11:21 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(01-29-2014 08:49 PM)Guillermo Mujica Wrote:  Thank's... That's just what I'm been reading on the net... But,
What about drinking alkaline water?... Will it help, or damage the benefitial bacteria?.
Do you know of any scientific study on this matter?

Alkaline water will not affect the flora either way unless it first overwhelms the stomach acid. Anything that reacts with the stomach acid will just form mineral chloride salts. If the water is made alkaline by mineral hydroxides though and the hydroxides overwhelm the stomach acid then the mineral hydroxides can chemically burn the intestinal wall and damage other cells such as the flora.

I have not looked for any studies on this in particular, but as far as the information on hydroxides burning tissues this is all easy to find. Mineral hydroxides are well known for the caustic nature and burning tissues they come in to contact with. An example is magnesium hydroxide, which is sold as the laxative Milk of Magnesia (MOM). MOM works as a laxative by burning the intestinal wall, which causes fluid to flow in to the intestines and increases peristalsis.

There is a study on Medline in regards to the dental use of calcium hydroxide to kill bacteria due to being a strong radical.

02-03-2014 03:11 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(02-02-2014 11:21 PM)Mikus Wrote:  Hi, I just watched your youtube video as well. Thank you for the great info! I hope it's ok if I add another question in this thread.

For a while now I am trying to find the best water solution for where I live (Adelaide, Australia) but unfortunately I haven't found a source of spring water yet (that is affordable). Because there is flouride added to the tap water here - and I really don't want that in my drinking water - my husband and I opted for a undersink reverse osmosis system with a water ionizer (called 'Ecovortek'). We know that reverse osmosis water is really not that great either, but wanting to get rid of the flouride we really didn't find many options. To remineralize the water we add a few grains of unrefined sea salt, a bit of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar before we drink it. We also realized that the water is very alkaline (we measured a pH of 10)... how 'acidic' should drinking water be? And would adding a bit of lemon/ACV to bring the pH down make the reverse osmosis water an ok choice? (I'd still keep adding the sea salt as well)

Thanks in advance for your response.

The water does not really need to be acidic, but neutral to slightly acidic would be good.

By adding the sea salt to the water this will reduce the solvency of the water as will lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. So these are all good to add.

02-03-2014 03:15 AM