Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Some people just don't have a life
James Offline
Administrator

Some people just don't have a life
What is it with some people. Lately it has become a full time job just deleting spammer posts and banning their user names and IP addresses. Just in the last 12 hours I have had to delete over 750 spam posts put up in the last 24 hours, almost all from the same poster.

When I ban the use names of these posters they simply modify their name slightly and start all over. When I ban their e-mail address they do the same thing. When I ban their IP address they change their IP address.

I am moderating posts of suspected spammers so their posts are not going to even show up on the boards unless I approve them. So why do these people keep wasting so much time? Don't they have a real life? And if they are doing this on my forum then how many other forums are they pulling the same thing in wasting everyone's time there as well?

I say a saying the other day that is so fitting of this:

"Trying to understand the behavior of some people is like trying to small the number 9."

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
01-17-2014 04:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eoeoe69 Offline

RE: Some people just don't have a life
its crazy, aren't robots? have you tryed to put some kind of captcha for register?

did u mean "smell the color 9"?

hope they begin to have life soon...

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

J.H
01-21-2014 01:24 PM
Anderson Offline

I believe it's mainly robots.
01-27-2014 02:09 PM
Scandinavian Offline

Hi there James..
Have a look at these plugins:
http://community.mybb.com/thread-110224.html
http://mods.mybb.com/view/goodbye-spammer
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 05:07 PM by Scandinavian.)
02-03-2014 05:05 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(01-21-2014 01:24 PM)eoeoe69 Wrote:  its crazy, aren't robots? have you tryed to put some kind of captcha for register?

did u mean "smell the color 9"?

hope they begin to have life soon...

There is one, but sometimes they still get thorough somehow. It is the same person because all the IP addresses are virtually the same. The person keeps changing one number in the IP address until they find one that works and bypasses approval. So I have had to shorten banned IP numbers, which is unfortunately also blocking legitimate people.

It is so time consuming to deal with these jerks though. The first attack was over 7,000 spam posts in one day. This last one was around 3,000 and I can only erase 20 at a time.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
04-15-2015 12:34 AM
Avi Offline

When I go to work, I take my laptop, because I like to view posts that are up, but recently my ip, *only* while im at work, is banned, actually - which surprised me! Yet, I am able to log in at home without issue [I sent email regarding this issue for my account, yesterday].

For now I will just log in at home, but it did make me wonder. I'm pretty sure no one at my office is interested in creating spam - too busy. But, perhaps somehow I had inadvertantly exposed my wireless connection [at work] to bots, or something [although it is WEP password protected].
04-16-2015 10:52 AM