Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Red wine & sleeping bad
Hypo Offline

Red wine & sleeping bad
Hi James

When I drink red wine, anything more than half a glass past 6pm, I have troubles sleeping: troubles getting to sleep and/or having a restless night.

The weird thing is that when I search online for an explanation that only yields websites that claim that red wine is actually super beneficial for getting a good night's sleep (because it supposedly contains melatonin).

Do you have any explanation for why I may have troubles sleeping properly when having consumed red wine?

Thanks and very curious to your thoughts,

Hypo.

PS. FYI; I'm not having this issue when consuming limited amounts of other alcoholic beverages
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 03:05 PM by Hypo.)
01-10-2014 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Red wine & sleeping bad
(01-10-2014 01:52 PM)Hypo Wrote:  Hi James

When I drink red wine, anything more than half a glass past 6pm, I have troubles sleeping: troubles getting to sleep and/or having a restless night.

The weird thing is that when I search online for an explanation that only yields websites that claim that red wine is actually super beneficial for getting a good night's sleep (because it supposedly contains melatonin).

Do you have any explanation for why I may have troubles sleeping properly when having consumed red wine?

Thanks and very curious to your thoughts,

Hypo.

PS. FYI; I'm not having this issue when consuming limited amounts of other alcoholic beverages

I have never seen any evidence that red wine contains melatonin. Only high levels of lead. In fact, I doubt if most California wines would be legal under the California proposition banning consumables containing over a certain amount of lead.

Most likely you are allergic to the sulfites that are commonly found in wines. An allergic response would increase epinephrine (adrenaline) output as a means of countering severe allergic responses. Since epinephrine is a stimulant it would keep you awake.

Alcohol can raise GABA levels in the brain, which is why alcohol is normally calming. You can also raise GABA by taking 1g of the amino acid glycine before bed on an empty stomach.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
02-17-2014 02:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply