Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sleep disturbance help
celia Offline

Sleep disturbance help
James,

I have a sleep problem where I can usually fall asleep but no matter what time I get to sleep I wake up after about fours of sleep, unable to return to sleep for another three or four hours. It leaves me exhausted during the day. I usually wake up while I’m dreaming (not necessarily a nightmare or disturbing dream, but I should mention that I dream every night extremely vivid dreams). Sometimes I wake up with hunger, no matter when or what I eat during the evening, and other times I’m not hungry but I feel hunger shortly after waking. Often I also feel a pounding heartbeat when awoken.

I have tried exercise, better sleep routines, calming teas before bed, valerian herb, and lecithin.

I have (unfortunately) a long history of dealing with hormonal/neurotransmitters imbalances, and was taking thyroid medication (I tried all types) for nearly a decade, but I have been off them for almost a year, with overall improvement after the initial painful withdraw. When diagnosed, my auto antibodies were extremely high, and have remained so no matter what treatment I used. My T3 and T4 were normal and my TSH fluctuated slightly above normal. However, in my experience, this sleep problem has not been correlated to my thyroid. The one correlation I have noticed though is with sex hormones, in particular estriol. I believe that my underlying problem was a lack of estriol and a sex hormone imbalance (I was on birth control pills when diagnosed with Hashimoto’s). Recent lab tests showed my estradiol, estrone, and progesterone to be optimal, testosterone a little low and estriol very low out of range. In the past when I have addressed my estriol with bio-identical creams or with pueararia mirifica, most of my symptoms disappeared, though the treatment somehow backfired or accumulated over time and I had to stop the supplementation.

At the moment, I can sleep through the night during the days of my menses when estriol is supposed to be low in secretion. I’m not menopausal nor suffer from hot flashes. I do have a slight problem with overall circulation and, I suspect, Congestive Pelvis Syndrome which inflames and brings discomfort to my abdomen and ovaries (though my ovaries seem to be working fine). I have noticed that often when I wake up during the middle of the night, the soles of my feet itch and the circulation in my legs doesn’t seem to flow as well as it should.

Do you have any idea of what is waking me up, estriol/cortisol/neurotransmitters imbalances or something else? I will address the circulation problem with Butcher’s broom and Serrapeptase (both of which I have taken in the past with good results). I was thinking about trying a liquid amino acid supplement (Biotics Research Amino Quick Sorb) to see if it would help me go back to sleep when I wake up. How can I increase my estriol without disturbing my other hormones? I have tried many of the recommended supplements for hormonal balance but they make my symptoms worse, maybe because they encourage progesterone production which I don’t need since I’m not estrogen dominant like many women in menopause/perimenopause.

I’m grateful for any insight or help that you can provide me.

- Celia
12-16-2013 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hypo Offline

RE: Sleep disturbance help
Do you consume caffeine during the day? Coffee and dark chocolate are the worst, but tea counts to (I suspect you are, probably in the evening..)

If so, quit completely, and you'll notice tremendous improvements. :-)
12-17-2013 11:36 AM
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Sleep disturbance help
(12-16-2013 08:29 PM)celia Wrote:  James,

I have a sleep problem where I can usually fall asleep but no matter what time I get to sleep I wake up after about fours of sleep, unable to return to sleep for another three or four hours. It leaves me exhausted during the day. I usually wake up while I’m dreaming (not necessarily a nightmare or disturbing dream, but I should mention that I dream every night extremely vivid dreams). Sometimes I wake up with hunger, no matter when or what I eat during the evening, and other times I’m not hungry but I feel hunger shortly after waking. Often I also feel a pounding heartbeat when awoken.

I have tried exercise, better sleep routines, calming teas before bed, valerian herb, and lecithin.

I have (unfortunately) a long history of dealing with hormonal/neurotransmitters imbalances, and was taking thyroid medication (I tried all types) for nearly a decade, but I have been off them for almost a year, with overall improvement after the initial painful withdraw. When diagnosed, my auto antibodies were extremely high, and have remained so no matter what treatment I used. My T3 and T4 were normal and my TSH fluctuated slightly above normal. However, in my experience, this sleep problem has not been correlated to my thyroid. The one correlation I have noticed though is with sex hormones, in particular estriol. I believe that my underlying problem was a lack of estriol and a sex hormone imbalance (I was on birth control pills when diagnosed with Hashimoto’s). Recent lab tests showed my estradiol, estrone, and progesterone to be optimal, testosterone a little low and estriol very low out of range. In the past when I have addressed my estriol with bio-identical creams or with pueararia mirifica, most of my symptoms disappeared, though the treatment somehow backfired or accumulated over time and I had to stop the supplementation.

At the moment, I can sleep through the night during the days of my menses when estriol is supposed to be low in secretion. I’m not menopausal nor suffer from hot flashes. I do have a slight problem with overall circulation and, I suspect, Congestive Pelvis Syndrome which inflames and brings discomfort to my abdomen and ovaries (though my ovaries seem to be working fine). I have noticed that often when I wake up during the middle of the night, the soles of my feet itch and the circulation in my legs doesn’t seem to flow as well as it should.

Do you have any idea of what is waking me up, estriol/cortisol/neurotransmitters imbalances or something else? I will address the circulation problem with Butcher’s broom and Serrapeptase (both of which I have taken in the past with good results). I was thinking about trying a liquid amino acid supplement (Biotics Research Amino Quick Sorb) to see if it would help me go back to sleep when I wake up. How can I increase my estriol without disturbing my other hormones? I have tried many of the recommended supplements for hormonal balance but they make my symptoms worse, maybe because they encourage progesterone production which I don’t need since I’m not estrogen dominant like many women in menopause/perimenopause.

I’m grateful for any insight or help that you can provide me.

- Celia

That's not a whole lot to go on, but with the hormone imbalances and already existing thyroid issues that your thyroid may be the problem. Hypothyroidism can cause the insomnia.

And elevated estrogen can suppress the thyroid.

The two main areas I recommend focusing on first would be your adrenals, which also affect thyroid function, and your hormones. Here are some links on both:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2462

http://www.medcapsules.com/info/Hormone_Balance.htm

Focus on those for a month or two and see how many of your symptoms disappear first. This will generate a lot more information on what may be going on and other recommendations can be given then if needed.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
02-03-2014 05:40 AM