Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sunlight, Wrinkles and Skin Cancer
mtl777 Offline

Sunlight, Wrinkles and Skin Cancer
Hi James, does sunlight really cause wrinkles and skin cancer, or is sunlight actually good and cancer-preventive because it helps produce vitamin D?

If sunlight is good, is it safe to use a UV-B lamp instead whenever sunlight is not available? If yes, is there a particular UV-B lamp product brand that you recommend?

Thanks as always for your most appreciated reply!
12-12-2013 01:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Sunlight, Wrinkles and Skin Cancer
(12-12-2013 01:13 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  Hi James, does sunlight really cause wrinkles and skin cancer, or is sunlight actually good and cancer-preventive because it helps produce vitamin D?

If sunlight is good, is it safe to use a UV-B lamp instead whenever sunlight is not available? If yes, is there a particular UV-B lamp product brand that you recommend?

Thanks as always for your most appreciated reply!

I am not sold on the claim that sunlight causes wrinkles. Wrinkles result from a decline in skin elastin. The loss of elastin leads to a decrease in skin elasticity, which causes the skin to stretch then sag.

Loss of elastin is most often from lack of silica and vitamin C.

I know the medical establishment thinks that free radicals cause wrinkles but there is more to the story. For example, vitamin C happens to be an antioxidant. In fact, smokers are also more prone to wrinkles not because of free radical production, but rather because smoking reduces vitamin C levels leading to elastin loss.

As far as cancer goes, sunlight is not a cause but rather a co-factor. Skin cancer is the result of human papilloma virus (HPV) infections of the skin. Sunlight activates the HPV virus.

This also helps explain in large part why not everyone that spends a lot of time in the sun develops skin cancer. For example, I used to do cross county bicycling and 12-14 hour days in the sun were common. But I never got skin cancer or wrinkles for that matter.

Sun exposure also does increase vitamin D levels, which is anti-cancer.

Lamps are a good alternative. In fact they have a long history of being used to generate vitamin D especially in children in countries who receive little to no sunlight during winter months.

I don't have any recommendations though as I have never really looked in to these lamps.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
02-03-2014 05:14 AM
mtl777 Offline

(02-03-2014 05:14 AM)James Wrote:  I am not sold on the claim that sunlight causes wrinkles. Wrinkles result from a decline in skin elastin. The loss of elastin leads to a decrease in skin elasticity, which causes the skin to stretch then sag.

I know the medical establishment thinks that free radicals cause wrinkles but there is more to the story. For example, vitamin C happens to be an antioxidant. In fact, smokers are also more prone to wrinkles not because of free radical production, but rather because smoking reduces vitamin C levels leading to elastin loss.

As far as cancer goes, sunlight is not a cause but rather a co-factor. Skin cancer is the result of human papilloma virus (HPV) infections of the skin. Sunlight activates the HPV virus.

This also helps explain in large part why not everyone that spends a lot of time in the sun develops skin cancer. For example, I used to do cross county bicycling and 12-14 hour days in the sun were common. But I never got skin cancer or wrinkles for that matter.

Lamps are a good alternative. In fact they have a long history of being used to generate vitamin D especially in children in countries who receive little to no sunlight during winter months.

I don't have any recommendations though as I have never really looked in to these lamps.

Thanks for the great info! I'm not afraid to go out in the sun anymore. Smile

Regarding lamps, which one is better: UV-B or full spectrum?
02-05-2014 02:02 PM
bethsong Offline

Would this be a good lightbulb that would supplement vitamin D?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018OS06S/ref=...B0IYDI4W4J
03-10-2014 12:48 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(02-05-2014 02:02 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 05:14 AM)James Wrote:  I am not sold on the claim that sunlight causes wrinkles. Wrinkles result from a decline in skin elastin. The loss of elastin leads to a decrease in skin elasticity, which causes the skin to stretch then sag.

Thanks for the great info! I'm not afraid to go out in the sun anymore. Smile

Regarding lamps, which one is better: UV-B or full spectrum?

It would depend on what it is being used for. UV-B is going to be better for conditions such as psoriasis and eczema as well as producing vitamin D. But full spectrum would be better for treating seasonal affective disorder.

When using UV-B bulbs though remember not to overdo it since these can burn the skin with excess exposure.

05-04-2014 01:40 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(03-10-2014 12:48 PM)bethsong Wrote:  Would this be a good lightbulb that would supplement vitamin D?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018OS06S/ref=...B0IYDI4W4J

It's hard to say because they don't rally state whether or not the bulb emits UV-B light. Not all "full spectrum" bulbs do.

05-04-2014 01:50 PM