Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Microwave cooking dangers to health
mtl777 Offline

Microwave cooking dangers to health
Hi James, what do you think of the safety of microwave cooking? The following article is painting a very bad picture of it, and I'd like to know your opinion.

http://www.tbyil.com/Microwave_Cooking_C..._Fassa.htm

Thanks!
11-14-2013 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Whitey Offline

RE: Microwave cooking dangers to health
Personally, I got rid of my microwave in 2001 a couple years after I got online.
I'm too much of a health perfectionist to take a chance on ruining my food by zapping it.
I have a small convection oven and I steam most anything else on my stove top that I want to cook.
12-01-2013 08:22 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(11-14-2013 12:55 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  Hi James, what do you think of the safety of microwave cooking? The following article is painting a very bad picture of it, and I'd like to know your opinion.

http://www.tbyil.com/Microwave_Cooking_C..._Fassa.htm

Thanks!

This is just more bogus propaganda. I actually addressed all these myths and posted evidence it was bogus on a similar Natural News article, but my response was hidden as were other responses exposing misinformation there.

For example, microwaves were never banned in the former Soviet Union. This is just one of the rumors that keep getting repeated because the authors of these types of articles are too lazy to research the facts. So they just repeat what they read on other propaganda sites.

As an example of how ridiculous some of these claims are just look at these two sentences:

"Besides these thermal modifications, there is direct damage to cell walls and genes from microwaves. Gene altering technology, which includes the biotech food industry, alters genes by weakening them with microwaves."

"Thermal modifications"? Just fancy words that mean cooking. Thermal modifications occur with all forms of cooking. Thus thermal referring to heat and modifications referring the chemical changes of cooking. They use the term "thermal modification" just to make the word cooking sound more scientific and scary sounding.

As for damage to cell walls and genes again, this occurs with all forms of cooking. If we were not trying to modify the food then why would we be cooking it in the first place?

The funniest one was the last part. How can genes from an animal or plant that has been killed be weakened? The animal or plant is dead!!! Their genes are no longer functioning.

Then there are these bogus claims:

"The human cells are forced from normal cellular oxidation into the anaerobic energy production of glucose fermentation. This is a cancerous condition. Anaerobic glucose fermentation is how cancer cells survive and thrive when their oxygen respiration is inhibited by internal conditions that create low pH or acidity."

If the author had even the slightest clue of how the body really worked they wold be aware that ALL cells in the body rely on anaerobic glycolysis followed by oxidative phosphorylation for energy production. Therefore, glucose fermentation is used by healthy cells as well as cancer cells for initial energy production. If the author's statement was true then all cells in our body would be cancerous.

The author clearly knows nothing about cancer either. First of all cancer cells are highly reliant on oxygen to survive and function. Cancer cells derive at least 50% of their energy production through oxidative phosphorylation that is oxygen dependent, which is a little lower than healthy cells. Studies though have also shown that cancer cells have a higher affinity for oxygen than healthy cells, which compensates for the lower oxygen levels within tumors due to their highly disorganized vasculature. It is the lack of adequate oxygen levels early on in malignant tumor formation that actually stimulates the formation of blood vessels that increase oxygen levels to the tumor to aid its growth.

And finally, the internal pH of cancer cells is not acidic. Their internal pH is more alkaline than healthy cells. Cancer cells are killed by an acidic internal pH so the cancer cells export acidic hydrogen ions in to the external matrix to protect themselves. This is why one of the therapies being studied to kill cancer cells is to block the ability of cancer cells to export the hydrogen ions. This makes the internal pH of the cancer cells acidic killing the cancer cells.

Studies have also shown that not only do cancer cells need an excessively alkaline internal pH to survive and thrive, bu the excess alkalinity is what converts the conversion of healthy cells in to malignant cells.

Bottom line is that microwaving food does not lead to cancer or diseases. This is just more scare tactic propaganda like the bogus claims about soy and canola that have circulated all over the internet.

I wish I could find my response to the Natural News article they hid because I also posted some research articles showing higher nutrient levels in microwaved food compared to other cooking methods. It is believed that this resulted from the nutrients not being exposed to high heat for such long period of time compared to other cooking forms. Since many nutrients are heat sensitive the longer they are exposed to heat the more of these nutrients get destroyed.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
12-31-2013 05:18 AM
mtl777 Offline

For a while I got scared and stopped using my microwave! Tongue

Thank you so much James for debunking the myth! I won't be afraid to use the microwave anymore, especially now that I know microwaved food retains more nutrients than food cooked with other methods.
12-31-2013 12:34 PM