Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Still in adrenal recovery.
ObeyTheSloth Offline

Still in adrenal recovery.
Hi James,

I was wondering if you could help me with my adrenal recovery.

In Feb. 2010, I was hospitalized due to an adrenal crash related to overuse of caffeine and (without my knowledge) yohimbe. This led to poor immunity, panic attacks, nausea, weakness, brain fog, and general malaise.

I took your advice re: adrenals and slowly built them back up. This summer, I spent two months on vacation, during which I exercised, took lots of vitamin c in the form of fruit and acerola cherry, b vitamins, adrenal-supporting herbs, and got a lot of rest.

I was feeling good, but as soon as it got colder, I got sick again, It's November now and I've already been sick a couple of times, with colds that lasted well over 7 days. I just got sick again today.

Currently, I take: whole-food vitamin c (camu-camu, amla, acerola which is over 1000 mg of vitamin c in split doses), some time-release ascorbic acid, schisandra berry, ashwagandha, nettle leaf, gotu kola, magnesium malate, a cardio tonic similar to the one you used to have, an Ayurvedic immune blend, an 8-mushroom immune complex, a garlic immune complex, astragalus, IP-6, kelp + dulse, and this "Adrenal Optimizer" from Jarrow.

As far as vitamin, etc., I take once per day: this b complex, 2000 IU of vitamin d-3, 25,000 IU of beta-carotene + mixed carotenes, 200 IU of selenium, 200 IU of vitamin e + mixed tocopherols, and 50 mg of zinc picolinate.

I've slowly built up to these things, increasing dosage over time.

As far as I can tell, I am doing most of the necessary things for proper adrenal and immune function. I suspect I may be stressed, partly due to all the sicknesses (I know that recurring infection can atrophy the adrenal glands) and partly due to work, although I do feel I work a stress-free job compared to *most* people, and live a much more stress-free lifestyle that almost anyone I know. My job is more or less 35 hrs/week with lots of vacation, and prior to my hospitalization in 2010 and the subsequent adrenal and immune crash, I'd dealt with far worse without issue.

I do not feel "well" or "normal" much of the time, even though I usually have energy to exercise, eat right, go to work, do my own activities, and the like. I still get mild brain fog and occasional malaise, but by far the worst thing is the immune dysfunction, which causes both physical and psychological stress. There are times, however, when I feel great, although they don't last.

I do not drink coffee, tea, or eat chocolate, eat very little sugar, and drink water kefir that I brew.

Could you please advise what I should try?

Thank you,
Alex.
11-09-2013 07:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hypo Offline

RE: Still in adrenal recovery.
Hi Alex,

Did you see my post here?; http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread....61#pid7961 Especially the Himalaya Herbal Stresscar is really helpful.

And depending on your budget you may want to consider getting one of these: http://www.sperti.com/The-Vitamin-D-Lamp...s/1825.htm (as substitution for the vitamin D caps). Your body can generate 10.000 to 25.000 IU of vitamin D per setting from such lamp. And contrary to oral caps, you can't overdose on vitamin d from UVB exposure. (Since you point out your situation deteriorated as we're moving away from summer, I think vitamin D may likely be a key issue.)

GL

PS. Also, I think you should probably reduce exercising a little bit. Exercise is okay, but definitely not necessary (what is necessary is not being fully sedentary, i.e. 'moving a bit'; perhaps walking, cycling, taking the stairs, etc.). I think most people have a tendency to overdo exercising (especially when it comes to weightlifting, running etc). You may just be fatiguing your body even though you probably do feel more energetic after finishing an exercise. Sleep and rest are crucially more important than exercise.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2013 10:36 AM by Hypo.)
11-10-2013 05:19 AM
ObeyTheSloth Offline

Thanks, I saw it. I actually used StressCare for a couple of months, but never in that dosage -- I used 2 caps, twice daily. Gonna see if adding that would help. Never tried that brand of Ashwagandha.

Also, found a fairly potent chaga extract in my cupboard that I'll take a couple of times a day as a coffee substitute. It's definitely the most dramatic thing I've tried, as far as making me feel "wired" (in a good way) only a few minutes after consumption.
11-11-2013 07:43 AM
stanley Offline

Consider taking Licorice root. It increases your cortisol levels naturally which are low in AF sufferers.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 11:30 AM by stanley.)
11-11-2013 11:28 AM