Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Food Combination
hidden_cow Offline

Food Combination
Good morning everyone!

I have read countless things about food combination. Some say not to eat fruits with vegetables, not to eat fruit with nuts/seeds, not to eat certain vegetables with fruit or with another vegetable high in sugar, and some say not to eat anything with anything else. I understand that listening to one's body is really the only true way of knowing what you should eat with what, but I'm interested in other perspectives as well. In fact, some more scientific reasons would be great.

For example, through common sense, I can see why it's unusual for the body to digest a root vegetable with a summer fruit as they don't naturally grow during the same time. But why is that? Are the fibers some how not compatible? Why is it that certain people have no issue with this?

What about eating a fatty food such as walnuts with fruit? I often have a smoothie with fruit, leafy greens, and chia seed. I understand that macronutrients get broken down at different stages during the digestive process, but does it really have a significant impact?
11-07-2013 08:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Food Combination
(11-07-2013 08:18 AM)hidden_cow Wrote:  Good morning everyone!

I have read countless things about food combination. Some say not to eat fruits with vegetables, not to eat fruit with nuts/seeds, not to eat certain vegetables with fruit or with another vegetable high in sugar, and some say not to eat anything with anything else. I understand that listening to one's body is really the only true way of knowing what you should eat with what, but I'm interested in other perspectives as well. In fact, some more scientific reasons would be great.

For example, through common sense, I can see why it's unusual for the body to digest a root vegetable with a summer fruit as they don't naturally grow during the same time. But why is that? Are the fibers some how not compatible? Why is it that certain people have no issue with this?

What about eating a fatty food such as walnuts with fruit? I often have a smoothie with fruit, leafy greens, and chia seed. I understand that macronutrients get broken down at different stages during the digestive process, but does it really have a significant impact?

I never followed any type of food combining claims. The digestive process is the same year round and digestion of different components of food will still be the same all along the digestive system.

The only thing I can see that would make a difference is I don't recommend combining something like coffee or tea with food since they can block nutrient absorption. And some foods can also block some nutrients. For example, high protein or high oxalate foods can block calcium absorption. Oxalates can also bind iron, which can be good or bad depending on the person.

We could drive ourselves nuts though trying to figure out what can block what and whether or not the blocking is good or bad for each person. It is not worth it. Just let the body do its job like it always has. After all, how did we manage to survive all these decades without separating the foods we ate?

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
01-21-2014 11:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply