Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Adrenals
Bethanyds Offline

Adrenals
Hi James,

In the past I had extreme adrenal fatigue. I was on HC and weaned myself off almost 2 years ago. My adrenals have crashed again and I can tell I'm not producing enough cortisol. My hypoglycemia is severe again. Licorice root helped me in the past, but I'm nursing now, so I can't take that. I'm taking vit b,c, tmg, mag malate, and nettle leaf. what else can I take while nursing to increase cortisol?

I've looked into neurofeedback/biofeedback for help with dealing with stress and anxiety. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks so much for your help!
Bethany
11-01-2013 07:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hypo Offline

RE: Adrenals
Hi Bethany,

I've been struggling with my own adrenal issues for a looong time, and tried all kinds of supplements and dietary changes in the process. I've eventually managed to solve things, and although I'm not fully sure what (combination of) changes have been crucial, I would recommend adding the blow changes to your regimen. (In order of importanceSmile

1. Take Himalaya Herbal Stresscare http://www.iherb.com/Himalaya-Herbal-Hea...-Caps/3748 Simply awesome. I take 4 caps 3 times a day 20 minutes before meals.
  2. Take (more) Vitamin C http://www.iherb.com/Solgar-Vitamin-C-10...-Caps/9235 I now take 3 times 3 caps a day. (I have tried getting enough Vitamin C from natural sources as recommended by James for a very long time, but that just didn't seem to work..)
  3. Spelt bread and/or oats porridge are much better carbohydrate sources than any wheat product (GI- and nutritional wise). If these are changes you can practically effort, do so. Oat porridge with two eggs and a banana makes a great breakfast!
  4. If possible switch from yeast to sourdough bread (better GI effect)
  5. Take Ashwagandha http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Ashwagand...g-Caps/310 I take 1 cap 3 times a day 20 minutes before meals.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

PS. FYI: Like you I'm also taking TMG, magnesium malate and nettle leaf.
PPS. If you're a new customer at iherb you'll get $5 to $10 off on your first order by using this coupon code: OMI448
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 08:53 AM by Hypo.)
11-01-2013 08:37 AM
Charisgal Offline

I'm also dealing with adrenal fatigue (my own diagnosis via symptoms) but I'm confused about cortisol. I read where too much is bad and makes you fat, esp. in the belly and I also read too little is bad and you can't handle stress and have no energy! How would anyone know if they have too much or too little? I have symptoms of both! Isn't cortisol supposed to spike up during stress and drop back down afterwards? Seems like the solution would be to take something that'll help the body find the right cortisol balance. So confusing to me.
11-01-2013 12:09 PM
Bethanyds Offline

Thanks so much! I'll look in to those suggestions. It's hard to know what I can and cannot take while breastfeeding. Thanks for the info on the food, I"ll try that out!
11-03-2013 04:22 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(11-01-2013 07:06 AM)Bethanyds Wrote:  Hi James,

In the past I had extreme adrenal fatigue. I was on HC and weaned myself off almost 2 years ago. My adrenals have crashed again and I can tell I'm not producing enough cortisol. My hypoglycemia is severe again. Licorice root helped me in the past, but I'm nursing now, so I can't take that. I'm taking vit b,c, tmg, mag malate, and nettle leaf. what else can I take while nursing to increase cortisol?

I've looked into neurofeedback/biofeedback for help with dealing with stress and anxiety. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks so much for your help!
Bethany

The most important nutrient there is for the adrenals is vitamin C. Therefore, I would focus primarily on vitamin C rich foods such as papaya, kiwis, peppers, mangoes, etc.

Pantothenic acid is the second most important. If you are not allergic then I recommend pollen, which is the highest herbal source. Nutritional yeast is also a good source.

Ashwagandha can build up the adrenals and has a calming, anti-anxiety effect.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
12-31-2013 06:16 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(11-01-2013 12:09 PM)Charisgal Wrote:  I'm also dealing with adrenal fatigue (my own diagnosis via symptoms) but I'm confused about cortisol. I read where too much is bad and makes you fat, esp. in the belly and I also read too little is bad and you can't handle stress and have no energy! How would anyone know if they have too much or too little? I have symptoms of both! Isn't cortisol supposed to spike up during stress and drop back down afterwards? Seems like the solution would be to take something that'll help the body find the right cortisol balance. So confusing to me.

It is almost impossible to tell your levels since the level is in a constant state of fluctuation. Same reason cortisol testing is not accurate.

Best thing to do is to support the adrenals so the adrenals can properly regulate cortisol output. Supporting the adrenals include avoiding stimulants like caffeine and watching your stress levels. Some herbs that support the adrenals are also naturally calming such as ashwagandha and Chinese (not American) licorice root. American licorice root is slightly stimulatory.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
12-31-2013 06:20 AM