Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Better Digestion
Charisgal Offline

Better Digestion
Ok I need some help with the things I'm taking for better digestion. I do have gallstones, too, which is part of the equation.

I am taking HCL (to increase stomach acid which is low), digestive enzymes (to help break down food unless I am eating some raw veggies with the meal), ox bile (to help aid the gallbladder) & digestive bitters (to stimulate the stomach to produce more acid). I don't take all these at every meal, however. (In other words, I'm not consistent! Big Grin)

My question is when to take these things. For example, since bile is used to make acid alkaline, wouldn't it be better to take that an hour or so AFTER a meal AFTER the food is broken down and read to enter the small intestines? Otherwise, it seems like it would be neutralizing the acid in the stomach that I'm trying to increase.

Do I need HCL at every meal or just those meals with protein? How does HCL work differently than digestive enzymes? Do I need both?

Am I correct that if I eat raw foods with a meal I don't really need to take digestive enzymes too? Don't raw veggies have enzymes?

I take the bitters before I eat to 'get the acidic juices flowing', just enough on the back of the tongue, as you taught me, James.

So, am I on the right track and if not, please help me get on the right track. I'm still dealing with too much bloat, gas, queasiness and food that takes forever to digest.

Thanks!

Marci
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 09:39 AM by Charisgal.)
10-21-2013 09:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Charisgal Offline

RE: Better Digestion
Wow, this forum has turned into a ghost town! Sad
11-01-2013 11:53 AM
vk79 Offline

(10-21-2013 09:38 AM)Charisgal Wrote:  Ok I need some help with the things I'm taking for better digestion. I do have gallstones, too, which is part of the equation.

I am taking HCL (to increase stomach acid which is low), digestive enzymes (to help break down food unless I am eating some raw veggies with the meal), ox bile (to help aid the gallbladder) & digestive bitters (to stimulate the stomach to produce more acid). I don't take all these at every meal, however. (In other words, I'm not consistent! Big Grin)

My question is when to take these things. For example, since bile is used to make acid alkaline, wouldn't it be better to take that an hour or so AFTER a meal AFTER the food is broken down and read to enter the small intestines? Otherwise, it seems like it would be neutralizing the acid in the stomach that I'm trying to increase.

Do I need HCL at every meal or just those meals with protein? How does HCL work differently than digestive enzymes? Do I need both?

Am I correct that if I eat raw foods with a meal I don't really need to take digestive enzymes too? Don't raw veggies have enzymes?

I take the bitters before I eat to 'get the acidic juices flowing', just enough on the back of the tongue, as you taught me, James.

So, am I on the right track and if not, please help me get on the right track. I'm still dealing with too much bloat, gas, queasiness and food that takes forever to digest.

Thanks!

Marci
James does not recommend HCL but recommends using Digestive Bitters and TMG.
Here is what he wrote on HCL:

"I prefer TMG for several reasons. First of all TMG has numerous benefits that you will not find with betaine HCl. The primary reason though is that I do not like substituting for the body's production of anything. This can cause the body to shut down its own production of that substance. Betaine HCl is fine for occasional use or short term use to allow better absorption of the nutrients needed to form the stomach acid as these nutrients are acid dependent for absorption. It is always better to stimulate the body's production rather than substitute for it.

You also have to maintain the intestinal flora, which also help with nutrient absorption. And keep up bile production and release. Still there are some conditions, such as cystic fibrosis that can interfere with nutrient absorption regardless."
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 07:39 AM by vk79.)
11-05-2013 07:38 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(10-21-2013 09:38 AM)Charisgal Wrote:  Ok I need some help with the things I'm taking for better digestion. I do have gallstones, too, which is part of the equation.

Supplementing with lecithin granules also helps with dissolving gallstones. Also make sure you are getting plenty of fiber on your diet.

The bitters are the most important, and these will also help with hormone balancing since estrogen and progesterone both contribute to gallstones.

I don't like supplemental enzymes since they shut down the body's own production of enzymes.

My question is when to take these things. For example, since bile is used to make acid alkaline, wouldn't it be better to take that an hour or so AFTER a meal AFTER the food is broken down and read to enter the small intestines?

Yes, I would take the ox bile away from meals.

Otherwise, it seems like it would be neutralizing the acid in the stomach that I'm trying to increase.

Most anything you eat will have protein. In fact, some plants provide more protein than meats. But bitters are still more beneficial than betaine HCl.

Stomach acid does not digest food. Food is digested by enzymes. The protein digestive enzyme pepsin though requires sufficient stomach acid to function though.

Raw veggies have enzymes, but for the most part they are digested by our digestive system. Bitters increase your own enzyme levels though.

Thanks!

Marci

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
12-31-2013 06:38 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(11-01-2013 11:53 AM)Charisgal Wrote:  Wow, this forum has turned into a ghost town! Sad

Sorry, but I have a whole lot going on right now including dealing with the recent death of my business partner's mother. Also been working on my cancer book, trying to catch up on e-mails and other messages, etc.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
12-31-2013 06:40 AM