Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
anost Offline

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
Hey James,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I understand you're a busy guy, so I appreciate any guidance you can give.

Last October I was diagnosed with HT by blood test. I understand the unreliability of blood tests, but it at least helped me put a name to my collection of symptoms. My thyroid panel came back with optimum levels, with the exception of thyroglobulin antibodies which where at 231 on a reference range of 5-25 ng/mL. I was extremely vitamin D deficient, and I also tested positive for EBV and mononucleosis antibodies. Also worth noting that I caught the early stages of Lymes (bulls eye and all), and was on a round of antibiotics 2 years prior. I know these all can be triggers for autoimmunity.

I found myself at the doctor then because I was experiencing strange symptoms that I'd never dealt with before. I was going through a very stressful period of my life at the time. My symptoms were: Waking up and feeling tired even after more than adequate sleep (I was practically bed ridden for months), coffee and stimulants were no longer working, anxiety attacks (which were new and terrifying) even during calm moments, I became incredibly jumpy at even the slightest noise or movement, I had no energy during the day, my extremities were balding, I was becoming very intolerant to cold, my hands and feet were cold to the touch most of the time, and my outer eyebrows were shedding. Other unrelated symptoms were: A sensitivity to milk (I couldn't keep it down after drinking it, in fact I would vomit up anything with dairy), a feeling of numbness in my feet, particularly my left foot, sporadic and dull nerve pain in my forearms, muscle weakness, blood sugar issues, lower back pain, and leg muscle spasms while I was laying down (magnesium deficiency?).

After my diagnosis (or should I say dismissal? from both my MD and Endo) I frantically took to the internet to learn as best I could about Hashimoto's and leaky gut. I started my journey on a gluten free diet after reading about a connection between HT and gluten insensitivity. When January rolled around I was greeted with another piece of the puzzle.

Like most 20 somethings, I spent my New Years eve drinking. I was gluten free now, so I took to both wine and hard cider that evening. When I awoke the next morning, I was welcomed to the new year with a giant rash that covered my stomach, chest, inner arms and thighs, and spent the next 3 days feeling sick as a dog. I was using a lot of coconut oil at the time, and wonder if this was potentially a Herxheimer reaction? The rash responded well to topical Lotrimin, and cleared within 10 days. I started a strict candida diet after that.

In February I scrounged up all the money that I could to see a local ND that specialized in acupuncture and TCM. While filling out a questionnaire of hers, two questions stuck out to me. Have you ever taken antibiotics? and, have ever taken steroids like Prednisone? I had been on 5 rounds of antibiotics for various maladies starting at 4 years for an ear infection, and ending at 23 years for Lymes. I was on three 10 day prescriptions of Prednisone from the ages of 9-16, all for poison ivy, which I reacted very badly to. I then made the connection that it's more than likely I also have a candida overgrowth. Since I can last remember I've had recurrent thrush that doesn't go away anymore, and bad dandruff that was at it's worst the summer prior to that visit to the doctor. I've also had digestive difficulties for a very long time, major sugar cravings, and a string of food poisoning incidents in the last couple years.

The ND prescribed me expensive UNDA numbers, Candex, and told me I had a spleen deficiency. Though very pleasant and listening, she didn't seem very qualified or knowledgeable. I used up my UNDA numbers and Candex and bumbled around the CZ forums trying just about anything that seemed like it might work. I was feeling very discouraged and at the end of my rope when I came upon your "Truth in Medicine" forum and started your candida protocol.

I started making and drinking my own kefir, about a liter a day now, and preparing fermented oat bran (I eat about 4 cups a day with 10g of inulin added), and make my own capsules of xanthan and gaur gum that I take liberally. I get very gassy, but my digestion is at least mostly regular, and the thrush now almost disappears completely, but keeps coming back. I'm still on the candida diet with the exception I make for berries, occasional potato/sweet potato, and popcorn (I really should stop eating). I've also made the connection between adrenals and candida, but have been bad at staying away from cigarettes when I'm out, which isn't often much anymore.

I've got a feeling that the adrenal issues have spurred from the amount of Prednisone I've been on in my life. During my teenage years I stopped growing like everyone else around me did, my bones are incredibly thin and small for a man, my facial and body hair are very sparse in comparison to all the men in my family and on both sides, I have stubborn fat that I can't lose despite being skinny, dark circles under my eyes, and an ashen complexion, low energy, depression, and an inability to relax. I had a bad coffee habit, almost up to 8 cups a day at one point, subsisted on not much more than sugar, starch, and simple carbs for a long time, I was frequently sick, always stuffy, and had noticeable pollen allergies as well as hives around the mouth when eating watermelon, apples, and carrots (pesticides?). I spent the majority of my 25 years this way and I'm just now making my way out of this. I want to be healthy, I'm wholeheartedly committed to this.

I take daily:

Bitters before or after each meal

5000 mcg Biotin
(2) B Complex 100
60 mg Zinc Citrate (with meal)
2000 mg L-Glutamine (2x daily)
1000 mg L-Tyrosine (2x daily)
(2) Twin Lab Multi Mineral
400 mcg Chromium Polynicotinate (2-3x daily)
1000 mg TMG (with meals)
1000 mg Magnesium Citrate (at night)

(2)Ashwaganda/Amla mixed 00 capsules (3x daily)
(2-3) Yucca (3x daily)
(2) Suma (3x daily)

2 scoops Vibrant Health Green Vibrance (I would like your opinion on this product)
1 tsp local bee pollen
1 tbsp Maca root

Additional Questions:

How does autoimmunity begin? What role do the adrenals play, and where does leaky gut factor in? Can you have autoimmunity without leaky gut?

I'm currently taking nettle, jiaogulan, kava and and licorice blended together as tea, would I find more benefit from powders instead?

Can allergies be eliminated? Will fixing the adrenals alone accomplish this?

What is the relationship between an overgrowth/imbalance of candida and adrenal fatigue?

Do yucca glauca and yucca schidigera have the same qualities?

I eat a lot of dried golden berries (Physalis peruviana), because I have regular access to them. I've read that they're anti fungal, anti inflammatory, stabilize blood sugar, have antioxidant properties, and are a source of pectin. How much is too much? I'm worried about the amount of sugar I'm unwittingly consuming?

Would you mind sending me a few write ups about some of the topics I've asked about? I understand if you decline.

Once again, James, thank you for reading all of this. You're an asset to the health community, and I appreciate your opinion and guidance in these matters.
10-08-2013 06:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
(10-08-2013 06:25 PM)anost Wrote:  Hey James,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I understand you're a busy guy, so I appreciate any guidance you can give.

Last October I was diagnosed with HT by blood test. I understand the unreliability of blood tests, but it at least helped me put a name to my collection of symptoms. My thyroid panel came back with optimum levels, with the exception of thyroglobulin antibodies which where at 231 on a reference range of 5-25 ng/mL. I was extremely vitamin D deficient, and I also tested positive for EBV and mononucleosis antibodies.

Testing positive for viral antibodies does not mean infection or even prior exposure to a virus. These tests are notoriously inaccurate. For example, the HIV test has over 65 known causes for false positives. These are primarily due to serological cross reactivity, which can cause false positives. Exposure without chronic infection also yields false positives on these tests.

Also worth noting that I caught the early stages of Lymes (bulls eye and all), and was on a round of antibiotics 2 years prior. I know these all can be triggers for autoimmunity.

I found myself at the doctor then because I was experiencing strange symptoms that I'd never dealt with before. I was going through a very stressful period of my life at the time. My symptoms were: Waking up and feeling tired even after more than adequate sleep (I was practically bed ridden for months), coffee and stimulants were no longer working, anxiety attacks (which were new and terrifying) even during calm moments, I became incredibly jumpy at even the slightest noise or movement, I had no energy during the day, my extremities were balding, I was becoming very intolerant to cold, my hands and feet were cold to the touch most of the time, and my outer eyebrows were shedding. Other unrelated symptoms were: A sensitivity to milk (I couldn't keep it down after drinking it, in fact I would vomit up anything with dairy), a feeling of numbness in my feet, particularly my left foot, sporadic and dull nerve pain in my forearms, muscle weakness, blood sugar issues, lower back pain, and leg muscle spasms while I was laying down (magnesium deficiency?).

Most of the symptoms you are describing are symptoms of adrenal dysfunction. This can be aggravated by the stimulants you were using , your stress and the Prednisone you were on. Adrenal dysfunction can aggravate thyroid problems, including Hashimoto's thyroidosis.

The muscle spasms though could indicate magnesium deficiency and/or elevated serum calcium.

After my diagnosis (or should I say dismissal? from both my MD and Endo) I frantically took to the internet to learn as best I could about Hashimoto's and leaky gut. I started my journey on a gluten free diet after reading about a connection between HT and gluten insensitivity. When January rolled around I was greeted with another piece of the puzzle.

The connection is that they both involve adrenal dysfunction.

Like most 20 somethings, I spent my New Years eve drinking. I was gluten free now, so I took to both wine and hard cider that evening. When I awoke the next morning, I was welcomed to the new year with a giant rash that covered my stomach, chest, inner arms and thighs, and spent the next 3 days feeling sick as a dog. I was using a lot of coconut oil at the time, and wonder if this was potentially a Herxheimer reaction?

It is hard to say since rashes can have a variety of causes.

The rash responded well to topical Lotrimin, and cleared within 10 days. I started a strict candida diet after that.

It may not have been Candida or other fungi. Most rashes will clear on their own in that period of time.

In February I scrounged up all the money that I could to see a local ND that specialized in acupuncture and TCM. While filling out a questionnaire of hers, two questions stuck out to me. Have you ever taken antibiotics? and, have ever taken steroids like Prednisone? I had been on 5 rounds of antibiotics for various maladies starting at 4 years for an ear infection, and ending at 23 years for Lymes.

Antibiotics will reduce the flora, which can lead to increased intestinal inflammation and leaky gut. This also increases the risk of candidiasis from the shift of the terrain in to an alkaline state. This turns on the Candida growth gene and coverts the Candida from a benign yeast form in to a pathogenic fungal form.

I was on three 10 day prescriptions of Prednisone from the ages of 9-16, all for poison ivy, which I reacted very badly to. I then made the connection that it's more than likely I also have a candida overgrowth. Since I can last remember I've had recurrent thrush that doesn't go away anymore, and bad dandruff that was at it's worst the summer prior to that visit to the doctor. I've also had digestive difficulties for a very long time, major sugar cravings, and a string of food poisoning incidents in the last couple years.

Prednisone not only crashes the adrenal glands, but it also suppresses immune function leaving people open to all sorts of infections.

The ND prescribed me expensive UNDA numbers, Candex, and told me I had a spleen deficiency. Though very pleasant and listening, she didn't seem very qualified or knowledgeable. I used up my UNDA numbers and Candex and bumbled around the CZ forums trying just about anything that seemed like it might work. I was feeling very discouraged and at the end of my rope when I came upon your "Truth in Medicine" forum and started your candida protocol.

In my opinion Candex is garbage. I discuss why here:

http://curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1555407#i

I started making and drinking my own kefir, about a liter a day now, and preparing fermented oat bran (I eat about 4 cups a day with 10g of inulin added), and make my own capsules of xanthan and gaur gum that I take liberally. I get very gassy, but my digestion is at least mostly regular, and the thrush now almost disappears completely, but keeps coming back.

Make sure the kefir ferments long enough to use up all the sugar.

You can also add yucca root powder to reduce the gas and feed the flora. Yucca will also help reduce leaky gut by reducing inflammation.

I'm still on the candida diet with the exception I make for berries, occasional potato/sweet potato, and popcorn (I really should stop eating). I've also made the connection between adrenals and candida, but have been bad at staying away from cigarettes when I'm out, which isn't often much anymore.

I've got a feeling that the adrenal issues have spurred from the amount of Prednisone I've been on in my life. During my teenage years I stopped growing like everyone else around me did, my bones are incredibly thin and small for a man, my facial and body hair are very sparse in comparison to all the men in my family and on both sides, I have stubborn fat that I can't lose despite being skinny, dark circles under my eyes, and an ashen complexion, low energy, depression, and an inability to relax. I had a bad coffee habit, almost up to 8 cups a day at one point, subsisted on not much more than sugar, starch, and simple carbs for a long time, I was frequently sick, always stuffy, and had noticeable pollen allergies as well as hives around the mouth when eating watermelon, apples, and carrots (pesticides?). I spent the majority of my 25 years this way and I'm just now making my way out of this. I want to be healthy, I'm wholeheartedly committed to this.

It definitely sounds like you crashed your adrenals.

I take daily:

Bitters before or after each meal

5000 mcg Biotin
(2) B Complex 100

The body cannot utilize all the B vitamins in a B100. Even a B50, which is half the amount turns the urine bright yellow from all the extra B vitamins the body cannot utilize that are being expelled in the urine. So you definitely are not going to utilize twice the amount. You would be better off breaking a B50 in half and taking half twice a day.

60 mg Zinc Citrate (with meal)
2000 mg L-Glutamine (2x daily)
1000 mg L-Tyrosine (2x daily)
(2) Twin Lab Multi Mineral
400 mcg Chromium Polynicotinate (2-3x daily)
1000 mg TMG (with meals)
1000 mg Magnesium Citrate (at night)

I also recommend splitting your zinc and magnesium in to two doses.

(2)Ashwaganda/Amla mixed 00 capsules (3x daily)
(2-3) Yucca (3x daily)

Make sure you are using the root powder, not the leaf.

(2) Suma (3x daily)

2 scoops Vibrant Health Green Vibrance (I would like your opinion on this product)

It would have been a great product except for several things. First of all they should have left out the enzymes. Especially the cellulase and hemicellulase for the reasons I state in the Candex link. Secondly, the probiotics are not going to do any good when they added enzymes and green tea extract, which are going to destroy them. And the green tea extract is going to bind nutrients making them worthless to the body, and like the flax seed will suppress thyroid function. Although the thyroid suppressing effect will be offset by the iodine in the seaweeds added.

1 tsp local bee pollen
1 tbsp Maca root

You should also add more foods or herbs high in vitamin C to support your adrenals more. I also like schisandra berry for adrenal support. One of the best adaptogens out there. Several other excellent adaptogens are Chinese licorice root and jiaogulan (Gynostemma). The Gynostemma can also help kill fungi due to its high sterol content.

Additional Questions:

How does autoimmunity begin?

I have a write up explaining autoimmunity in depth:

http://www.medcapsules.com/info/Auto_Immunity.htm

What role do the adrenals play, and where does leaky gut factor in?

The role of the adrenals is explained in the write up.

Leaky gut is an inflammatory condition, which makes the gut more permeable. This allows the passage of protein solutes through the intestines in to the bloodstream where they can act as antigens to the immune system. Weak adrenals increase inflammation in the body due to lower levels of anti-inflammatory corticosteroids being released by the adrenals. Weak adrenals also increase the risk overproduction of low affinity (non specific) antibodies also known as "autoantibodies". Autoimmune conditions therefore are not from a hyperactive immune system, but rather immune suppression through the adrenals.

Can you have autoimmunity without leaky gut?

Yes, there are numerous autoimmune disorders that have nothing to do with the intestines. Most autoimmune conditions have been linked to infections and again involve poor adrenal function. So their formation has nothing to do with leaky gut. Leaky gut though can aggravate autoimmune conditions by creating allergic responses to the protein solutes, which in turn taxes the adrenals more.

I'm currently taking nettle, jiaogulan, kava and and licorice blended together as tea, would I find more benefit from powders instead?

Yes, powders will provide more nutrition since many nutrients are heat sensitive. The powders also provide fiber to feed the flora.

Can allergies be eliminated? Will fixing the adrenals alone accomplish this?

Yes, allergies stem from adrenal dysfunction. We are all exposed to the same allergens, but we do not all have allergies. The reason is that when the adrenals are working properly they release sufficient epinephrine and corticosteroids to counter the allergic response. Epinephrine is an antihistamine and antileukotriene. Corticosteroids reduce inflammation and regulate our immune responses.

This is also the reason that children will generally outgrow their allergies around the age of 5. By this age the adrenals will have had time to mature provided the adrenals do not get atrophied from steroidal or stimulatory medications often given for allergies. They may cover up the symptoms, but they also make the underlying condition worse.

What is the relationship between an overgrowth/imbalance of candida and adrenal fatigue?

The only connection is that if the intestines become over alkaline due to a lack of flora the Candida growth gene is turned on and the Candida converts from a benign yeast form to a pathogenic fungal form. In this fungal form the Candida forms finger-like projections known as hyphae. The hyphae allow the Candida fungi to dig in to the tissues causing tissue damage and inflammation. Thus the development of leaky gut. Again, the leaky gut allows the passage of protein solutes in to the blood leading to immune reactions that tax the adrenals.

Do yucca glauca and yucca schidigera have the same qualities?

Yes, they will. But the aerial root of Yucca shidegra provides a higher level of saponins, which are some of the primary medicinal components.

I eat a lot of dried golden berries (Physalis peruviana), because I have regular access to them. I've read that they're anti fungal, anti inflammatory, stabilize blood sugar, have antioxidant properties, and are a source of pectin. How much is too much? I'm worried about the amount of sugar I'm unwittingly consuming?

I have not seen anything anything on toxicity of this berry also known as Cape gooseberry. It is often used in foods such as pies, so it appears you can consume large amounts without toxicity. And it has some other benefits. You may find this interesting:

J Diet Suppl. 2013 Mar;10(1):39-53. doi: 10.3109/19390211.2012.760509.

Chemical composition and biological evaluation of Physalis peruviana root
as hepato-renal protective agent.

El-Gengaihi SE, Hassan EE, Hamed MA, Zahran HG, Mohammed MA.

Author information

Abstract

This study was designed to investigate the potential of Physalis peruviana root as a functional food with hepato-renal protective effects against fibrosis. The chemical composition of the plant root suggested the presence of alkaloids, withanolides and flavonoids. Five compounds were isolated and their structures elucidated by different spectral analysis techniques. One compound was isolated from the roots: cuscohygrine. The biological evaluation was conducted on different animal groups; control rats, control treated with ethanolic root extract, CCl(4) group, CCl(4) treated with root extract, and CCl(4) treated with silymarin as a standard herbal drug. The evaluation used the oxidative stress markers malondialdehyde (MDA), superoxide dismutase (SOD), and nitric oxide (NO). The liver function indices; aspartate and alanine aminotransferases (AST & ALT), alkaline phosphatase (ALP), gamma glutamyl transferase (GGT), bilirubin, and total hepatic protein were also estimated. Kidney disorder biomarkers; creatinine, urea, and serum protein were also evaluated. The results suggested safe administration, and improvement of all the investigated parameters. The liver and kidney histopathological analysis confirmed the results. In conclusion, P. peruviana succeeded in protecting the liver and kidney against fibrosis. Further studies are needed to discern their pharmacological applications and clinical uses.

Would you mind sending me a few write ups about some of the topics I've asked about? I understand if you decline.

Links are included in this response.

Once again, James, thank you for reading all of this. You're an asset to the health community, and I appreciate your opinion and guidance in these matters.

Thanks.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
01-06-2014 01:52 AM
anost Offline

RE: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
James,

I hope you can find some time to field a few more questions, I hope none of these are blatant repeats.

1) Does gum arabic contain enough polysaccharides to be detrimental to one with auto-immunity issues?

2) How do you know when your adrenals are in good enough shape? I'm at the point where I very rarely feel fatigue during the day, I wake up refreshed, and my ability to handle stress is much easier; however, I still can't handle certain foods without getting dark circles, or feeling a numbness in my feet, and the outer third of my eyebrows/hair on the end of my lower arms and legs isn't returning. I'm taking a powdered herb mix of nettle, chinese licorice, yucca, jioagulan, suma, rosehips, amla, and bee pollen, and I consume, on average, two kiwis per day (sometimes papaya as well). Am I missing something?

3) Concerning the numbness in my feet; I get this when I eat problem foods, usually grains like, oatmeal, oat bran, rice bran, and popcorn, but also from milk kefir, and mayonnaise. The onset typically happens very shortly after eating, but sometimes after an hour or so. Could this actually be an early symptom of diabetes (or just related to thyroiditis)? especially if fatigue isn't accompanying?

4) Sometimes I can feel the swelling in my neck after eating the same foods mentioned above. I read in one CZ post of yours that you thought that foreign food proteins were very unlikely to cause adrenal or thyroid inflammation in those with leaky gut, as those proteins would have to match up with the proteins of those organs. Are their certain proteins that would fit that description? Do you think that merely having food particles coming into the bloodstream would stimulate the adrenals to the point that it would aggravate an autoimmune condition?

5) I looked into blending andrographis, pau d'arco, and chaparral as I had read in your autoimmunity write up. I took this mix in powder form, 3 times daily for about three months. Should this be a sufficient amount of time to rid my body of any potential negative microbes?

6) Does inflammation in the gut kill off your beneficial gut flora since your immune system is attacking it?

7) I can't consume oat bran, rice bran, or milk kefir without an adverse reaction, but I desperately need to get my beneficial flora back into balance (I've been having recurring thrush, and exhibiting some IBS symptoms, i.e non formed bowel movements). I've been making coconut milk kefir, and using inulin, beet powder, gum arabic, chia seeds, apple fiber, and yucca as prebiotics, but I can't drink too much coconut milk because of the high fat content. The prebiotics I'm using seem to just be stopping me up.

8) At a recent doctor visit I tested high for ALT levels. I'm not sure why, as I take bitters daily. Maybe the chaparral? At any rate I've been taking turmeric and milk thistle with my adrenal blend as a precaution. Should I be concerned about these levels?

9) I take nettle, chinese licorice, jiaogulan, suma, amla, rose hips, turmeric, milk thistle, chickweed, and yucca at the same time, 3 times daily. Do any of these herbs interact negatively with one another or am I good?

10) Will my food allergies subside, or atleast diminish, once I have enough beneficial flora in my gut? You've mentioned leaky gut is directly related to not having enough good bacteria. What are the specifics on this?

Thank you.

Chris
03-08-2014 05:28 PM