Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How bad are these pollutants?
dog8food Offline

How bad are these pollutants?
My mom lives in an interesting area: There's a small electrical power station about a mile from her house. 2 miles away is an old, covered landfill (with exhaust pipes sticking out of the ground). A mile in the other direction is a small mining site that raises the levels of PM 2.5 in the surrounding area.

I've heard radiation is from power stations and power lines are dangerous. How dangerous are they?

I've read online that unborn children living within 2 miles of an old landfill have a greater chance of birth defects. Is it true?

I've read that PM 2.5 settles deep in the lungs, and is very difficult for the body to expel. What do you think?
09-22-2013 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: How bad are these pollutants?
[quote='dog8food' pid='7761' dateline='1379863513']
My mom lives in an interesting area: There's a small electrical power station about a mile from her house. 2 miles away is an old, covered landfill (with exhaust pipes sticking out of the ground). A mile in the other direction is a small mining site that raises the levels of PM 2.5 in the surrounding area.

I've heard radiation is from power stations and power lines are dangerous. How dangerous are they?

The jury is still out on this. I have not seen any definitive research either way, but it is well known that power lines "leak" electricity. In some parts of the world people will throw electrical wire over these insulated power lines to capture the leaking electricity to power their homes.

Electricity can be used to speed healing of tissues, but electricity can also harm or kill.

Whether or not the electricity, or frequency from high power lines can harm us is still unknown as is how far we can be from a line before there is no effect.

I've read online that unborn children living within 2 miles of an old landfill have a greater chance of birth defects. Is it true?

This would depend on various factors such as what is in the landfill? Is the landfill properly lined? Is the landfill capped? It would be easy to claim that landfills are making children sick if someone chose to base this open landfills in some third world countries. But housing developments have been built on top of properly lined and sealed landfills here in the U.S. without presenting any health issues.

As for the vents, the only time I have ever seen vents on landfills the vents were capped because the gases such as carbon dioxide and methane were being trapped and used for industrial purposes such as aquaculture and energy production.

I've read that PM 2.5 settles deep in the lungs, and is very difficult for the body to expel. What do you think?

It is true that particulate matter 2.5 micrometer in size or smaller can get deeper in to the lungs. I feel the lungs though can clear the particulate. Look at it this way. These particulates come from various sources including automobile exhaust and even the burning of fuels such as wood. So we have been exposed to these particulates all of our life yet we are not dying of respiratory issues. Clearly the lungs, like most of the body has pretty good healing properties.[/undefined]

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
10-02-2013 12:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply