Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oat and Rice bran causing constipation? Please help
Shapeshifter Offline

Oat and Rice bran causing constipation? Please help
Hi James,

I am new to your forum and posted earlier in the week but haven't heard back so assume you are busy or away. Smile

I have history of IBS, parasite infection (for real/diagnosed Smile), adrenal fatigue, low thyroid (but underweight because of digestive trouble), and joint pain and bone spurs. (oh and lyme disease, also diagnosed)

So I started with bitters early this week and had immediate relief from gas/bloating I had been having another bad bout of. First day constipation was relieved but a little too much (I started with small doses too) and then regulated over the next few days UNTIL I added oat bran yesterday morning (in the form of hot oat bran cereal at breakfast). And since then I have been constipated quite badly. I drank plenty of water (usually do) and upped the bitters (also am taking zinc once a day and B vitamins) but no relief. I have been gluten free for years (suspected intolerance) and sometimes accidentally ingest and it causes trouble. So this oat bran may have had gluten. I would have used rice but didn't find any at our store (co-op). I had been off grains again just recently as well because I found I wasn't digesting rice (coming out undigested in stool). But since reading about low stomach acid and adding the bitters I thought maybe I could at grains back. Maybe it's just too soon?

I just want help build the flora in my gut. I am drinking coconut based kefir daily now and eating fermented veggies. I ate rice pasta (with rice bran in it) this morning in a soup with eggs, kelp and broth. I feel very tired after eating it and I wonder if it's the carb/starch from the rice pasta? I am still constipated so it's frustrating. Sometimes vit C helps with that but I also was trying to just use natural sources. I started on Amla yesterday or day before but when I take it I sweat my stomach turns and I getting stabbing pain in it. I was using buffered C because of this kind of trouble.. what do you suggest??

I also filled out the email form since I would like to buy some of your supplements but my printer just broke so I was wondering if you did over the phone orders...

Please help, THANK YOU!!!!!
09-20-2013 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Oat and Rice bran causing constipation? Please help
(09-20-2013 09:39 AM)Shapeshifter Wrote:  Hi James,

I am new to your forum and posted earlier in the week but haven't heard back so assume you are busy or away. Smile

Have been busy. Mostly back working on my book so I get it finished before the next century, and I am leaving for Canada in a few days.

I have history of IBS, parasite infection (for real/diagnosed Smile), adrenal fatigue, low thyroid (but underweight because of digestive trouble), and joint pain and bone spurs. (oh and lyme disease, also diagnosed)

IBS has been linked to low levels of beneficial intestinal flora. Cultured foods and fibers to feed the flora are the best for IBS.

Here are links on building the adrenals and the old write up on our Adrenal Tonic:

http://curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1527351#i

http://mountainmistbotanicals.com/formulas/adrenal.htm

And information on the thyroid and for joint health:

http://mountainmistbotanicals.com/formulas/thyroid.htm

http://mountainmistbotanicals.com/formulas/b_j.htm

Lyme can only be truly diagnosed if the characteristic bulls-eye rash is also present. Lyme gets way over diagnosed with the antibody tests, which are garbage.

So I started with bitters early this week and had immediate relief from gas/bloating I had been having another bad bout of.

Yes, bitters help by increasing stomach acid and enzymes to promote digestion and reduce fermentation.

First day constipation was relieved but a little too much (I started with small doses too) and then regulated over the next few days UNTIL I added oat bran yesterday morning (in the form of hot oat bran cereal at breakfast). And since then I have been constipated quite badly. I drank plenty of water (usually do) and upped the bitters (also am taking zinc once a day and B vitamins) but no relief. I have been gluten free for years (suspected intolerance) and sometimes accidentally ingest and it causes trouble. So this oat bran may have had gluten.

Oats do contain a form of gluten so there could be traces in the bran. Some people can tolerate oat gluten even if they cannot tolerate wheat gluten, but some people are sensitive to both. Building up your flora should help reduce your gluten intolerance. Adrenal dysfunction also contributes to gluten intolerance.

I would have used rice but didn't find any at our store (co-op). I had been off grains again just recently as well because I found I wasn't digesting rice (coming out undigested in stool). But since reading about low stomach acid and adding the bitters I thought maybe I could at grains back. Maybe it's just too soon?

The white part of the rice should digest easily. It is the rice bran that is not digested by our digestive system, but can be digested some by the flora.

If you want to avoid the brans you can also use vegetable gums such a konjac (glucomannnan) or guar gum, which are very effective in stimulating flora growth. Fructooiligodsaccharides (FOS) or Jerusalem artichoke are other good options.

I just want help build the flora in my gut. I am drinking coconut based kefir daily now and eating fermented veggies. I ate rice pasta (with rice bran in it) this morning in a soup with eggs, kelp and broth. I feel very tired after eating it and I wonder if it's the carb/starch from the rice pasta?

If you have reactive hypoglycemia your blood sugar can drop after eating carbohydrates.

I am still constipated so it's frustrating. Sometimes vit C helps with that but I also was trying to just use natural sources. I started on Amla yesterday or day before but when I take it I sweat my stomach turns and I getting stabbing pain in it. I was using buffered C because of this kind of trouble.. what do you suggest??

The constipation could be from your thyroid dysfunction or the lack of flora, which are common causes.

I also filled out the email form since I would like to buy some of your supplements but my printer just broke so I was wondering if you did over the phone orders...

Yes, I can do a phone order, or you can send me an e-mail with your order information. I will be heading out Friday afternoon though. The other option is Ebay. There is a company selling our formulas there:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/boulder_health_s...7675.l2562

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
10-01-2013 10:08 PM
Shapeshifter Offline

Thank you James!! Just seeing this after your other responses and replying to those. Smile

This is all very helpful information. I think it's the oat gluten, I noticed issues eating oatmeal before I went off wheat and after as well, good to know that I may be able to tolerate it one day.

Good luck with your book and your travels.. hopefully I can still order some of your formulas soon? I asked in the other longer response toward the end about/if ordering with printed form via post was the only option. If so, fine, but how long is turnaround usually? And which orders (also based on my other response) do you recommend? I am thinking adrenal, thyroid, joint/bone. But let me know if you have another recommend.

PS- On the elcampagne for parasites do you have a dose recommendation? I also saw you posted once about male fern somewhere

Oh and for the lyme, I did in fact have the bulls eye rash and finding and removing the tick and fever. Went to a clinic two days after and they gave me the antibiotics for it without doing blood work since the blood work was going to take too long. I felt better quickly. Ten years later (last year) I had the blood work done which showed that I had the antiboties for it which doctor interpreted as me having had lyme at some point. So IDK. Smile Thanks!
(10-01-2013 10:08 PM)James Wrote:  
(09-20-2013 09:39 AM)Shapeshifter Wrote:  Hi James,

Have been busy. Mostly back working on my book so I get it finished before the next century, and I am leaving for Canada in a few days.

IBS has been linked to low levels of beneficial intestinal flora. Cultured foods and fibers to feed the flora are the best for IBS.

Here are links on building the adrenals and the old write up on our Adrenal Tonic:

http://curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1527351#i

http://mountainmistbotanicals.com/formulas/adrenal.htm

And information on the thyroid and for joint health:

http://mountainmistbotanicals.com/formulas/thyroid.htm

http://mountainmistbotanicals.com/formulas/b_j.htm

Lyme can only be truly diagnosed if the characteristic bulls-eye rash is also present. Lyme gets way over diagnosed with the antibody tests, which are garbage.

So I started with bitters early this week and had immediate relief from gas/bloating I had been having another bad bout of.

Yes, bitters help by increasing stomach acid and enzymes to promote digestion and reduce fermentation.

First day constipation was relieved but a little too much (I started with small doses too) and then regulated over the next few days UNTIL I added oat bran yesterday morning (in the form of hot oat bran cereal at breakfast). And since then I have been constipated quite badly. I drank plenty of water (usually do) and upped the bitters (also am taking zinc once a day and B vitamins) but no relief. I have been gluten free for years (suspected intolerance) and sometimes accidentally ingest and it causes trouble. So this oat bran may have had gluten.

Oats do contain a form of gluten so there could be traces in the bran. Some people can tolerate oat gluten even if they cannot tolerate wheat gluten, but some people are sensitive to both. Building up your flora should help reduce your gluten intolerance. Adrenal dysfunction also contributes to gluten intolerance.

I would have used rice but didn't find any at our store (co-op). I had been off grains again just recently as well because I found I wasn't digesting rice (coming out undigested in stool). But since reading about low stomach acid and adding the bitters I thought maybe I could at grains back. Maybe it's just too soon?

The white part of the rice should digest easily. It is the rice bran that is not digested by our digestive system, but can be digested some by the flora.

If you want to avoid the brans you can also use vegetable gums such a konjac (glucomannnan) or guar gum, which are very effective in stimulating flora growth. Fructooiligodsaccharides (FOS) or Jerusalem artichoke are other good options.

I just want help build the flora in my gut. I am drinking coconut based kefir daily now and eating fermented veggies. I ate rice pasta (with rice bran in it) this morning in a soup with eggs, kelp and broth. I feel very tired after eating it and I wonder if it's the carb/starch from the rice pasta?

If you have reactive hypoglycemia your blood sugar can drop after eating carbohydrates.

I am still constipated so it's frustrating. Sometimes vit C helps with that but I also was trying to just use natural sources. I started on Amla yesterday or day before but when I take it I sweat my stomach turns and I getting stabbing pain in it. I was using buffered C because of this kind of trouble.. what do you suggest??

The constipation could be from your thyroid dysfunction or the lack of flora, which are common causes.

Yes, I can do a phone order, or you can send me an e-mail with your order information. I will be heading out Friday afternoon though. The other option is Ebay. There is a company selling our formulas there:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/boulder_health_s...7675.l2562

10-03-2013 07:16 PM
James Offline
Administrator

Thank you James!! Just seeing this after your other responses and replying to those. Smile

This is all very helpful information. I think it's the oat gluten, I noticed issues eating oatmeal before I went off wheat and after as well, good to know that I may be able to tolerate it one day.

Good luck with your book and your travels.. hopefully I can still order some of your formulas soon? I asked in the other longer response toward the end about/if ordering with printed form via post was the only option. If so, fine, but how long is turnaround usually? And which orders (also based on my other response) do you recommend? I am thinking adrenal, thyroid, joint/bone. But let me know if you have another recommend.

You can fax the order, fill out an order form scan and e-mail it or simply e-mail the information.

I try to get out the orders within a few days at the most.

I recommend the Adrenal Tonic and Bone and Joint primarily. The adrenals help regulate the thyroid, so building up the adrenals can correct thyroid issues in some cases. If not then you could try the Thyroid Tonic.

If you have any remaining symptoms of Lyme then I would also recommend the Live-R-Ight.

PS- On the elcampagne for parasites do you have a dose recommendation?

Recommended dose on elecampane is 1/3 teaspoon 3 times daily at least 20 minutes before meals.

I also saw you posted once about male fern somewhere

Male fern is a little hard to come by and does not directly kill intestinal parasites. It simply weakens them. After several days a strong laxative is taken to flush the weakened parasites out.

Elecampane is easier to come by. So is diatomaceous earth, which is also very effective against intestinal parasites.

Oh and for the lyme, I did in fact have the bulls eye rash and finding and removing the tick and fever. Went to a clinic two days after and they gave me the antibiotics for it without doing blood work since the blood work was going to take too long. I felt better quickly. Ten years later (last year) I had the blood work done which showed that I had the antiboties for it which doctor interpreted as me having had lyme at some point. So IDK. Smile Thanks!

Antibody tests do not prove current or even past infections for that matter. These tests are notoriously inaccurate. Your symptoms though do confirm infection at one time though.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2013 12:32 AM by James.)
10-28-2013 12:32 AM
Shapeshifter Offline

Hi James,

Thank you so much. I got your responses to my other post as well and am just gonna respond here, hope that's okay.

I will email you to order your recommendations. But wondering if I also need thyroid tonic based on the following.. and if I after buying your formulas I could still take any of the herbs listed below that I now have a large supply of (for some of them anyway). Smile

In re. my thyroid/iodine.. I did end up just going off the iodine since I last heard from you (a couple of weeks or so I think). But I have been taking kelp (powdered myself) and black walnut (powder) and coconut oil for iodine. I also had ordered and have been taking (usually twice a day, sometimes three if I am home/remember) : nettles, pau d'arco, yucca, gotu kola, licorice, schizandra, rose hips, amla, elecampane, chaparrel, astragalus and foti (most of them all mixed together equally and taking a tsp each time of the mixture). And also vit E, fish oil, bee pollen and sometimes ginseng tea and ashwaganda before bed (helps me sleep). And yes the DE in water the way you describe for silica. And then grape bitters with most meals and sometimes HCI and/or zinc when I need extra help. I try to remember to take my dolomite and magnesium (I have citrate right now) but often forget those.
(I couldn't tell if my low thyroid symptoms got worse or not going off the iodine, that's why I decided just to stay off, but I think that some of them have gotten worse, like some swelling in my neck and my skin issues listed below..)

I am still having low temps, and low energy issues, as well as dry skin which I have been using diluted citric acid spray (can you tell me the dilution you use again? I remember reading it somewhere but couldn't find it again, I put about a tsp in a hairspray bottle of water) and avocado oil with mango butter which has been helping but just two days ago I started to get an itchy rash again on my legs. I haven't had the ringworm for years now (I had mentioned primarily to explain why I had been put on the high doses of iodine in the first place) but sometimes not sure if it even was ringworm (had an herbalist look at it and diagnose it, plus my partner at the time got some of it as well so it did seem contagious and was in red ring shapes everywhere and extremely itchy). What I have been getting the past few years since then seems to be more like eczema/psoriosis and happens in the late Fall/early winter (now) and can't tell anymore if iodine intake effects it or not. And not sure if it's fungal or dry skin. Sometimes extra oils seem to make it worse or just certain oils (strangely coconut oil has made it worse before so if it was fungal you would think that would not be the case). It seems to start after starting to wear pants and socks a lot (after not having worn them all summer) so the lower part of my legs is where it starts up. I have noticed flax oil help both externally and internally. Maybe it's the EFAs? Or maybe that is counteracts too much iodine? I have wondered if it's 'winter itch' that people with Hashimoto thyroditis get?. Right now my legs are pretty itchy and the little red bumps have been spreading (not in ring formations just all over but in some areas more clumps of them than others, it can break out very quickly, just overnight). I haven't tried flax again, wasn't sure I should since I had gone off the iodine.

Do you recommend I go back on the iodine while I wean off, now that I have been off for a few weeks? If so how much? I could take a pill every other day maybe? (they are 12 mg, I had been taking about 2 a day) Or I could take some lugols drops which I also have. I do feel my thyroid swelling a little bit. Also my temps have been close to 97, or little under. bet 96.5-97. Whats odd is I noticed the left armpit is consistently lower than the right armpit by half a degree. So it seems my right armpit is at about 97, and the left at 96.5 or 96.7. Have you ever heard of this?

I had often wondered if my thyroid issues were auto-immune like hashimoto because of the related ringworm (years back) and now eczema skin issues. I don't know.

FYI, I have gained back close to 5 lbs! Smile I have been using the grape bitters at most meals and sometimes use HCI and zinc if I need. Mostly the gas/bloating is better but sometimes the none of the above works (I am also taking the rice bran and kefir, eating fermented veggies) and I think it's when I eat garlic or spices that can be irritants. Smile

My bone spurs are on my right shoulder (where I had had a joint separation injury many years back) and on my forehead (developed in the last few years, not sure why, might have hit my head there when younger, had it looked at by doctor to confirm it's a spur and not a cyst).

One other question. I have problems with bags under my eyes that I can't seem to alleviate. Not sure if it's linked to adrenal/thyroid or allergies/sinus or kidney function. But seems like I have them when I don't have other allergy symptoms and seem worse in the morning but also sometimes at night (so maybe related to fatigue).

Okay thank you!!!!!
10-29-2013 09:03 AM