Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
MTHFR mutation, is TMG enough?
Anderson Offline

MTHFR mutation, is TMG enough?
Hi James!

I wonder what's your view on the MTHFR issue which seems to be getting more and more attention lately.

This mutation affects methylation and proponents of supplementation protocols to deal with this enzyme defficiency use many things at the same time and make it so complicated. Methylfolate, B6, Methylcobalamine, etc., etc.

I wonder if adding methyl donors alone with TMG for example is enough. I've even seen people saying that if you don't supplement properly you can end up my more problems than before.

And there's also the COMT (catechol-O-methyltransferase) mutation now, which seems to explain anxiety in some people due to poor inactivation of catecholamines like epinephrine, norepineprhine and dopamine.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2013 06:48 AM by Anderson.)
09-19-2013 06:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: MTHFR mutation, is TMG enough?
(09-19-2013 06:46 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Hi James!

I wonder what's your view on the MTHFR issue which seems to be getting more and more attention lately.

This mutation affects methylation and proponents of supplementation protocols to deal with this enzyme defficiency use many things at the same time and make it so complicated. Methylfolate, B6, Methylcobalamine, etc., etc.

I wonder if adding methyl donors alone with TMG for example is enough. I've even seen people saying that if you don't supplement properly you can end up my more problems than before.

And there's also the COMT (catechol-O-methyltransferase) mutation now, which seems to explain anxiety in some people due to poor inactivation of catecholamines like epinephrine, norepineprhine and dopamine.

There are different MTHFR mutations. A single mutation though will not increase cardiovascular problems though, which is most often associated with these mutations. Even with the double mutation associated with cardiovascular disease studies have shown no increased risk if homocysteine levels were kept low. Also high folate levels were found to counter the adverse effects of elevated homocysteine.

In cases of MTHFR mutations though I would personally go with a methyl donor such as TMG over substances such as B12, folate, etc. A problem with the other supplements is that these are dependent on sufficient levels of stomach acid for absorption. So many people though are already acid deficient. And the use of antacids, acid blockers, alkaline waters, calcium carbonates and magnesium oxide is abundant further leading to deficient stomach acid levels. The decrease in absorption of B12, B6 and folate in particular can lead to deficiencies of the methyl donor SAMe regardless of the vitamin supplementation. TMG is a stronger methyl donor and is not subject to the absorption problems associated with the vitamins.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
09-30-2013 07:01 PM
Anderson Offline

Thanks!

My fear was that supplementing only with TMG would cause an imbalance in the methylation "system". I mean, one would still need to supplement with other pieces of the puzzle that would be missing such as B12, folate, etc.
10-01-2013 01:09 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(10-01-2013 01:09 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Thanks!

My fear was that supplementing only with TMG would cause an imbalance in the methylation "system". I mean, one would still need to supplement with other pieces of the puzzle that would be missing such as B12, folate, etc.

You can find a sublingual supplement of these vitamins to bypass the absorption problems.

Sublingual B12 though is best taken in the form of methylcobalamin rather than cyanocobalamin.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
10-03-2013 05:24 PM
Anderson Offline

I take sublingual methylcobalamin from time to time.

Do you think it's useful to substitute TMG for Methylfolate like this one by Jarrow:

http://www.jarrow.com/product/577/Methyl_Folate

This way I only need one supplement to support methylation. I've read somewhere that TMG is just secondary in the methylation process.
10-04-2013 08:04 AM
Charisgal Offline

James, I would love for you to explain this MTHFR stuff.

I good friend of mine whom I met on your CZ forum a few years ago, recently died at age 50 unexpectedly and she had this MTHFR. Her husband told me the doc thought the cause of death was a heart attack. I didn't even know there was a connection between MTHFR and heart disease. I had never even heard of MTHFR until she got tested and began to try and teach me about it.

I just don't get what 'methylation' is or 'methyl donors' and such. As always I just need a basic bio on it!

Thanks!

Marci
(aka MamacatPatch on CZ)
10-20-2013 11:55 AM
Anderson Offline

Here's a good reading to understand methylation:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag98/aug98-report2.html
10-22-2013 03:47 AM
Charisgal Offline

(10-22-2013 03:47 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Here's a good reading to understand methylation:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag98/aug98-report2.html

That is an excellent article. Thanks!
10-22-2013 09:25 AM
Anderson Offline

Hello Charisgal and James!

I've been researching this subject and have come to the following conclusions so far:

- TMG can only lower homocysteine in the liver and kidneys because the enzyme involved in the reaction is not present anywhere else in the body.

- Methylfolate can lower homocysteine everywhere, but it takes B12 for this to happen.

What I still don't understand is where methylfolate would be able to do something that TMG wouldn't. If the idea is ONLY to lower homocysteine in general then TMG alone would be enough since that has been shown in many studies.

I hope James has some thoughts to share with us regarding this. It takes me forever for me to understand the texts I've been reading, but I'm slowly gaining some knowledge.

So far I continue taking my TMG daily and trying to learn more about this methylation mess.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2013 07:59 AM by Anderson.)
11-21-2013 07:58 AM