Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
L-Tyrosine from GMO corn ?
Gen129 Offline

L-Tyrosine from GMO corn ?
Hi James,

I want to buy some l-tyrosine. The problem is that all the l-tyrosine I've seen comes from corn. Corn is very untrustworthy, being one of the worst GMO offenders. What are your thoughts on this? How important is l-tyrosine as a supplement for thyroid problems? Can't I just eat foods high in tyrosine?
09-09-2013 10:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: L-Tyrosine from GMO corn ?
(09-09-2013 10:09 PM)Gen129 Wrote:  Hi James,

I want to buy some l-tyrosine. The problem is that all the l-tyrosine I've seen comes from corn. Corn is very untrustworthy, being one of the worst GMO offenders. What are your thoughts on this? How important is l-tyrosine as a supplement for thyroid problems? Can't I just eat foods high in tyrosine?

Tyrosine is essential for the formation of thyroid hormones among other compounds. But commercial tyrosine can be made by bacterial fermentation of many sugar sources including beets, whey, barley malt and other sources as well as corn.

Do I worry about the GMO aspect in this case? Not really. The main danger of most GMOs are the intact proteins that can act as allergens. This is what happened in the case of Starlite corn that caused so many deaths due to the splicing of a peanut gene in to the corn. This produced peanut proteins that common allergens and can cause deadly anaphylaxis.

In the case of tyrosine though, even if the starter is GMO corn this does not mean that there are any GMO proteins present. It is actually the sugars, not the proteins, that are being extracted from these various sources and fermented by the bacteria to form the tyrosine. Therefore, I do not see any risks.

If you want though, yes you can just consume high tyrosine foods, which can still help. The drawbacks are that low stomach acid can inhibit the proper breakdown of the proteins containing the tyrosine and amino acids compete for absorption so you are not always guaranteed full absorption of the amino acids. Sometimes supplementation can help.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
09-11-2013 02:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply