Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leg/feet muscle spasms
giaynee Offline

Leg/feet muscle spasms
I am plagued with leg cramps throughout my life. I've been to many different doctors who can't really give me an answer. The neurologist told me I have benign fasciculation syndrome, I think because he had no real solution except for medication that would have allot of side effects, don't want to go that path. I am a very active 62 year old woman, biking, swimming, running.... I participate in triathlons as best I could despite the cramping. If I swim longer than 25 minutes, I start to get leg cramps in the water. I often get leg cramps even when resting in bed. I've tried allot of natural things including electrolytes (potassium seems to help the best), calcium/magnesium supplements, homeopathic remedies.. to no avail. I live a healthy lifestyle: Fresh natural foods, exercise... I don't do to well in the sleep area, waking up 2 or 3x a night but if I do get a better stretch, my legs seem better. I've had numerous amalgam fillings for years until about 3 years ago when I had them removed so I'm thinking that maybe it damaged my nervous system? Anyone have any advice? Thanks
08-01-2013 01:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Leg/feet muscle spasms
(08-01-2013 01:36 PM)giaynee Wrote:  I am plagued with leg cramps throughout my life. I've been to many different doctors who can't really give me an answer. The neurologist told me I have benign fasciculation syndrome, I think because he had no real solution except for medication that would have allot of side effects, don't want to go that path. I am a very active 62 year old woman, biking, swimming, running.... I participate in triathlons as best I could despite the cramping. If I swim longer than 25 minutes, I start to get leg cramps in the water. I often get leg cramps even when resting in bed. I've tried allot of natural things including electrolytes (potassium seems to help the best), calcium/magnesium supplements, homeopathic remedies.. to no avail. I live a healthy lifestyle: Fresh natural foods, exercise... I don't do to well in the sleep area, waking up 2 or 3x a night but if I do get a better stretch, my legs seem better. I've had numerous amalgam fillings for years until about 3 years ago when I had them removed so I'm thinking that maybe it damaged my nervous system? Anyone have any advice? Thanks

The most common cause of muscle cramping is an excess of calcium and/or lack of magnesium.

Calcium actually causes muscle contractions, while magnesium is the muscle relaxant. Things that can contribute to calcium induced cramping include taking more calcium than magnesium, taking excess vitamin D, hyperparathyoridism or excess phosphorus intake.

You can try increasing your intake of magnesium alone, no calcium. And make sure it is not magnesium oxide. Magnesium malate is the best followed by magnesium citrate.

If this does not help also check the side effects of any medications you are on. Cholesterol lowering statin drugs and osteoporosis drugs known as bisphosphonates are well known for causing muscle problems.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
08-26-2013 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply