Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
hv so confused about herbs u got to read this
cdog Offline

hv so confused about herbs u got to read this
I been taking herbs and I feel like they are helping me but I found this

he saying that they have high levels of toxic metals my hair mineral test show I have high levels of copper im trying to watch my copper intake but some herbs have high levels of copper
what do u think

HERBS AND MEDICAL DRUGS, AND THEIR USE IN NUTRITIONAL BALANCING PROGRAMS

by Lawrence Wilson, MD

Ó February 2011, The Center For Development

Herbs and nutritional balancing science. For most of man’s history, herbs were the main form of medical care. This remains the case in a few less developed nations of the world. They are often used as remedies for everything from infections to inflammation.

However, most are not a part of nutritional balancing science because hair mineral analysis reveals that most of them are very yin, somewhat toxic, and not needed at all. In fact, we discourage people from using herbs except for short-term use for these important reasons.

PROBLEMS WITH HERBS TODAY

The reasons why, sadly, we find we must exclude most herbs from nutritional balancing programs include:

1. Toxicity. This is the main problem. The toxicity of herbs today seems to be from several causes:

· Natural toxicity. Many herbs are slightly toxic by nature, or they would be classified as foods to be eaten every day. Nutritional balancing focuses on renourishing the body. While herbs can do this to some degree, their toxic qualities always interfere with the ultimate balancing and healing of the body.

· Spraying with pesticides. Even herbs that are labeled organic or wild crafted may be sprayed with copper sulfate and other “natural” chemicals to increase production or kill pests. I am sorry to have to say that some herb companies, particularly the larger ones, may not be telling the truth about this. One problem is that as herb companies grow larger, they must produce more products, and it becomes harder and harder to supply large amounts of herbs in a natural way. In addition, many suppliers have gone overseas to produce at lower cost, and they may not supervise the cleanliness of the soil and the products as well.

· Toxic metal contamination. Herbs seem to be much more toxic lately. I do not know why this is so, but anyone who uses a lot of herbs, when tested with hair mineral analysis, is showing high levels of copper, nickel, lead, cadmium, fluoride, chlorine, bromine and other toxic metals. This is a shame, but true.
This warning applies to all herbal products, including American, European, as well as popular Chinese and East Indian or Ayurvedic herbs. We find repeatedly that even the best brands contain too many toxic metals. For this reason, please do not use herbs on a continuous basis. Take them only for short periods of time, if at all.

· Yin toxicity. We are also finding that most, if not all herbs are quite yin. Yin in traditional Chinese medicine means cold and expanded. In times past, this did not matter much. Today, however, the bodies are very yin and more yin herbs, even if they relieve symptoms, eventually unbalances the body and can be difficult to reverse. This problem is made worse when herbs are extracted and mixed with alcohol or glycerin.
Taking an herb for a few days is okay and won’t alter the yin-yang balance of the body. Using them for months, however, is a serious problem in some cases.

· Herbal combinations are usually worse. Combining herbs is a sophisticated science that most doctors and herb companies are not good enough at, in my view. I suspect that some of the toxicity problems we notice are from taking combinations of herbs. Just as with medical drugs, combining slightly toxic herbs can easily compound their toxicity in terms of toxic metal content, toxic chemicals, and yin toxicity.

2. Inability to delicately balance the mineral ratios. In addition to toxicity issues, nutritional balancing depends upon delicate balancing of the oxidation rate and major mineral ratios. Dr. Paul Eck discovered how to this using the diet, and mainly chelated minerals, vitamins, a digestive aid and specific animal glandular extracts. Herbs, while nourishing, are much harder to use to balance the oxidation rate and major ratios, at least at this time.

3. Cost. Excellent quality herbs are often costly. We make every effort to keep the cost of programs reasonable, so this is another problem with some herbal products.

4. Herbal medicine is extremely complex. This is not a critique in any way. It is simply a statement of fact. Nutritional balancing is meant to be simple, in theory at least.

HERBS THAT ARE MAY BE USED IN SMALL AMOUNTS WITH A NUTRITIONAL BALANCING PROGRAM

NOTE: The following herbs may be used only for:

· Occasional teas and other drinks.

· If one gets a cold, flu or other acute health condition and needs a remedy for a short time.

· To sprinkle on food for flavoring in small quantity

· As directed using a hair mineral analysis.

Taking these herbs continuously or in large quantities, as we find they can be somewhat toxic and will slow or stop your progress. They may even be dangerous today due to toxic metals that some contain.

They include acacia gum, adder’s tongue, agar, alfalfa, aloe vera, angelica root, anise, ash tree, astragalus, balm of gilead, baptisia or wild indigo, barberry, bayberry, bay leaves, bee pollen, bet root, birch, bittersweet, blackberry, black radish and all radishes, black walnut, bladderwrack, blessed thistle, bloodroot, blue cohosh (but not black cohosh), blue vervain, boneset, borage, buchu, burdock root, calamus root, calendula, camphor, capsicum, caraway, cardamom, cassia oil, cayenne, cedar berries, celery root, chamomile, chia seeds, chickweed, cinnamon, cloves, coltsfoot, comfrey, coriander or cilantro to eat but not extracts, corn silk, cranberry, culvers root, cumin, daikon, dandelion leaves and roots, devil’s claw, dill, dong quai, dulse, echinacea, elder flowers, eleuthero, eucalyptus, eyebright, fennel, fenugreek, feverfew, flax, fu-sho oil, garlic, geranium, ginger, gingko biloba, goldenrod, green magma, gum Arabic, hawthorn berries, hops, horehound, horseradish, horsetail and huckleberry leaf.

Others are hydrangea, hyssop, Irish moss, jojoba oil, juniper berries, kelp, lady’s slipper, lapacho, lavender, lemon balm, lemon grass, lily of the valley, linseed oil, maple, marigold, marshmallow root, milkweed, milk thistle, motherwort, mugwort, mullein, mustard, myrrh, nettles, nutmeg, oat straw, Oregon grape root, pansy, parsley, passion flower, peach, pennyroyal, peppermint, periwinkle, plaintain, pleurisy root, poke, poplar, prickly pear cactus, psyllium, pygium, pyrus communis, radishes (black, white, red, Russian, Spanish and other), raspberry, red clover, red sage, rhubarb, rose, rosehips, rosemary, rue, safflower, sassafras, saw palmetto, senna, shave grass, shepherd’s purse, skunk cabbage, slippery elm, sorrel, spearmint, squaw vine, St. John’s wort, strawberry leaves, suma, sumach berries, sweet basil, tansy, thuja, thyme, tiger balm, turkey rhubarb, turmeric, unicorn root, uva ursi, valerian, violet leaves, watercress, watermelon seeds, wheat grass juice, white oak bark, white willow, wild cherry bark, wild lettuce, wild yam, wintergreen, witch hazel, wood betony, wood sage, wormwood, yarrow, yellow vervain, and yucca.

HERBS TO AVOID

The products below are more toxic and, in our experience, are not needed. The only exception might be a short-term emergency use. They include the following herbs and related products:

Chelators. These include all chelators such as high-dose alginates, bugleweed, cilantro extracts, chlorella, spirulina, blue-green algae, azomite, montmorillonite, bentonite and yellow dock.

The main problem with all chelators is they remove small amounts of vital minerals. This would be less of a problem if people were well nourished. However, very few are well

nourished today, and creating more mineral deficiencies worsens their health – sometimes permanently.

In addition, avoid natural chelation products. These usually contain one or more of the herbs or other substances listed above. Do not trust those who say they have solved the problem of chelators leaching good minerals out of the body, as I have not found this to be the case, ever.

Others. Other herbs to completely avoid for best results with a nutritional balancing program at this time are aconite, agrimony, belladonna, bentonite and all clays, blue-green algae, bugleweed, cascara sagrada, catnip, chlorella, ephedra, gotu cola, all ginseng, grapefruit seed extract, licorice root, lobelia, lomatium, mistletoe, mandrake root, olive leaf extract, oregano extract, peppers (most), rauwolfa, spirulina and yellow dock.

PHARMACEUTICAL DRUGS AND NUTRITIONAL BALANCING PROGRAMS

Very few pharmaceutical drugs are ever needed by those who are following a nutritional balancing program. Most over-the-counter and pharmaceutical are very toxic and harmful for the body. They are especially toxic for the liver and kidneys. As a general rule, the sooner a person can quit using most over-the-counter and prescription drugs, the faster the person will get well. This includes all anesthesia drugs, antibiotics, cold remedies and other common drugs.

Exceptions. These include situations when a drug might be needed in emergency situations, or to control high blood pressure until the body can be restored and cleansed naturally. As this happens, the blood pressure will normalize on its own.

Other exceptions may include the use of insulin in a few cases of Type 1 diabetes, rare use of antibiotics, and some heart medications if needed to save a life.

A controversial area is hormone replacement therapy. This is very rarely needed unless the gland that produces the hormone has been surgically removed or damaged beyond repair. If the gland is still present in the body, then I find I do not need to give thyroid replacement hormones, estrogen, progesterone or any other bio-identical or synthetic hormones. A nutritional balancing program will slowly restore natural hormone production, even in an older person. In fact, replacement hormones, while they may relieve symptoms, they always get in the way of deep healing of the body.

These subjects are discussed in more detail in the articles on this site entitled Hormone Replacement Therapy, Dangerous Drugs and Problems With Drugs.

THE SAD HISTORY OF HERBS AND DRUG MEDICAL CARE IN AMERICA AND MOST OF EUROPE

Herbs are often the basis for modern drug medicines. Some drugs such as digitalis and others are simply herbal extracts that have been slightly altered so the drug company can obtain a patent on the product. This is true of many other drugs such as antibiotics, anti-hypertensive remedies and others. When the product is altered, its potency or safety are often compromised to some degree.

However, in America, and to some degree in Europe, herbal medicine has been either outlawed or marginalized. This means it is not part of mainstream medical care and its use is not permitted in hospitals and most clinics today.

The reason for this is an old feud between the herbal medical system and the powerful patent drug industry. It began in earnest around the turn of the 20th century. The newer pharmaceutical industry began to make a fortune selling patented remedies. The herbal medicine companies made much less money because their products could not be patented as they are natural substances.

The drug industry then began a campaign to eliminate their competition. With their superior financial resources, they used bribery, false “scientific studies” and even such tactics as extortion and murder to slowly force herbal medicines out of medical schools, mainstream medical journals, hospitals and clinics.

FDA Infiltration. Additionally, the patent drug interests have thoroughly infiltrated the US Food And Drug Administration. With effective control of this powerful government agency, the drug companies and their bribed friends are still today able to limit and often outlaw natural products such as herbs, vitamins and others that compete directly with patented drugs. A prime example was the banning of L-trytophan some years ago. Many other examples could be cited, and a number of books delve into the subject in more detail.

Spreading lies. With control of the major medical journals and often the mainstream media, drug companies spread many lies about the use of natural products. In fact, natural products are generally much safer, much less costly and just as effective or more effective than patent drugs for almost all health conditions. This may sound like a radical statement, but I find it to be true. This truth is also born out by the annual statistics published by the US Poison Control Centers, as well as hospital statistics. They confirm that herbal and nutritional products are very safe, while deaths and disabilities from the use of over-the-counter and prescription drugs costs tens of thousands of lives each year. American and European health care systems are now in severe financial difficulty, in part, because of the anti-competitive and thoroughly corrupt practices of the drug industry.
06-10-2013 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: hv so confused about herbs u got to read this
(06-10-2013 03:35 PM)cdog Wrote:  I been taking herbs and I feel like they are helping me but I found this

he saying that they have high levels of toxic metals my hair mineral test show I have high levels of copper im trying to watch my copper intake but some herbs have high levels of copper
what do u think

First of all hair analysis is not even close to being accurate. It is primarily used as a sales tool.

by Lawrence Wilson, MD

Herbs and nutritional balancing science. For most of man’s history, herbs were the main form of medical care. This remains the case in a few less developed nations of the world. They are often used as remedies for everything from infections to inflammation.

However, most are not a part of nutritional balancing science because hair mineral analysis reveals that most of them are very yin, somewhat toxic, and not needed at all. In fact, we discourage people from using herbs except for short-term use for these important reasons.

Again, hair analysis is not even close to being accurate, yet the author is basing his premise on this inaccurate test.

The reasons why, sadly, we find we must exclude most herbs from nutritional balancing programs include:

1. Toxicity. This is the main problem. The toxicity of herbs today seems to be from several causes:

· Natural toxicity. Many herbs are slightly toxic by nature, or they would be classified as foods to be eaten every day. Nutritional balancing focuses on renourishing the body. While herbs can do this to some degree, their toxic qualities always interfere with the ultimate balancing and healing of the body.

This is really misleading. Food plants contain phytochemicals just like herbs. If I were to go through a list of plants eaten as food I could find all sorts of compounds that can be considered toxins. For example, look at how many plants we consume contain oxalates or tannins. Other foods sources such as meats also contain their toxins. So is the author going to give up eating to avoid these toxins?

· Spraying with pesticides. Even herbs that are labeled organic or wild crafted may be sprayed with copper sulfate and other “natural” chemicals to increase production or kill pests.

Copper sulfate is hardly natural. And I doubt if it is used as an insecticide since it would likely kill the plant at those levels. This is why copper sulfate is used as an algicide.

I am sorry to have to say that some herb companies, particularly the larger ones, may not be telling the truth about this. One problem is that as herb companies grow larger, they must produce more products, and it becomes harder and harder to supply large amounts of herbs in a natural way. In addition, many suppliers have gone overseas to produce at lower cost, and they may not supervise the cleanliness of the soil and the products as well.

Again the author is being very misleading. All of the big herb manufacturers and many of the smaller ones are all using GMP (good manufacturing practices) or similar programs that require very strict testing of the materials. In fact, these herbs have to undergo more testing for contamination than pharmaceutical drugs.

· Toxic metal contamination. Herbs seem to be much more toxic lately. I do not know why this is so, but anyone who uses a lot of herbs, when tested with hair mineral analysis, is showing high levels of copper, nickel, lead, cadmium, fluoride, chlorine, bromine and other toxic metals. This is a shame, but true.

Again, I doubt it for the same reason I stated above. Maybe he is buying his herbs on some street corner from a shady character. But GMP practices do not allow those levels of contamination. And the GMP companies have to keep very strict records for the FDA of every single batch of herb coming in, which has to be tested multiple times then retested as a final product.

This warning applies to all herbal products, including American, European, as well as popular Chinese and East Indian or Ayurvedic herbs. We find repeatedly that even the best brands contain too many toxic metals. For this reason, please do not use herbs on a continuous basis. Take them only for short periods of time, if at all.

Again I doubt the author's claims.

· Yin toxicity. We are also finding that most, if not all herbs are quite yin. Yin in traditional Chinese medicine means cold and expanded. In times past, this did not matter much. Today, however, the bodies are very yin and more yin herbs, even if they relieve symptoms, eventually unbalances the body and can be difficult to reverse. This problem is made worse when herbs are extracted and mixed with alcohol or glycerin.
Taking an herb for a few days is okay and won’t alter the yin-yang balance of the body. Using them for months, however, is a serious problem in some cases.

I don't know anything about yin or yang, but being that the author has not gotten anything else right so far I doubt this claim as well. Especially considering how herbs are used on a daily basis by people around the world and there is no evidence of harm on a widespread basis.

· Herbal combinations are usually worse. Combining herbs is a sophisticated science that most doctors and herb companies are not good enough at, in my view. I suspect that some of the toxicity problems we notice are from taking combinations of herbs. Just as with medical drugs, combining slightly toxic herbs can easily compound their toxicity in terms of toxic metal content, toxic chemicals, and yin toxicity.

Again very misleading. Formulas tend to be more effective for a variety of reasons including a synergistic effect if properly designed. This can be used to an advantage by increasing the medicinal effects of a particular herbal compound while reducing the risk of toxicity. I use this principle often in my herbal designs.

On the other hand I have seen companies use "text book herbalists" that just add whatever to a formula because they read somewhere that X is good for Y without taking in to account interactions that can be dangerous (rare) or that more commonly negate the effects of the other herbs. I see this a lot with diabetes formulas for example where these herbalists will put uva ursi in the formula because they read that uva ursi lowers blood sugar. Problem is that the tannins in uva ursi also bind various active compounds in other plants rendering those compounds useless and thus reducing the effectiveness of the formula. The same problem exists with certain other herbs such as green tea, which is added to so many formulas just for name recognition and its popularity.

2. Inability to delicately balance the mineral ratios. In addition to toxicity issues, nutritional balancing depends upon delicate balancing of the oxidation rate and major mineral ratios. Dr. Paul Eck discovered how to this using the diet, and mainly chelated minerals, vitamins, a digestive aid and specific animal glandular extracts. Herbs, while nourishing, are much harder to use to balance the oxidation rate and major ratios, at least at this time.

Really misleading!!! What form does the author think most of the minerals in herbs exist in? They are in a chelated form just like other plants. Herbs also contain vitamins and other compounds also found in the plants we eat in our diet.

And if he agrees with using animal glandulars in medicine then I have another point of contention since glandulars are one of the easiest ways to screw up the system since they provide hormones that can alter the balance of our own glands and lead to atrophy of our own glands. But glandular compounds are often proscribed by naturopathic doctors and cost a lot more than most herbs.

3. Cost. Excellent quality herbs are often costly. We make every effort to keep the cost of programs reasonable, so this is another problem with some herbal products.

High quality herbs are RARELY expensive, and are a lot cheaper than glandulars and especially pharmaceutical drugs. There are a few very expensive herbs due to rarity, such as goldenseal. But there are very cheap substitutes for goldenseal, which I avoid anyway due to the problems goldenseal and its relatives can cause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO5c2L8CsDQ

There are safer, better and cheaper herbs that can be used in place of berberine herbs such as goldenseal.

4. Herbal medicine is extremely complex. This is not a critique in any way. It is simply a statement of fact. Nutritional balancing is meant to be simple, in theory at least.

Medicine is general can be a little complex. But food is part of our medicine. Should we stop eating just because of the numerous ways food can affect our health?

HERBS THAT ARE MAY BE USED IN SMALL AMOUNTS WITH A NUTRITIONAL BALANCING PROGRAM

· If one gets a cold, flu or other acute health condition and needs a remedy for a short time.

As directed using a highly inaccurate hair mineral analysis? Again, what is the difference between the minerals in medicinal herbs and those found in plants we consume as part of our diet? None.

Taking these herbs continuously or in large quantities, as we find they can be somewhat toxic and will slow or stop your progress. They may even be dangerous today due to toxic metals that some contain.

Again, most herbs are tested numerous times for metals and cannot be used if above strict limits. There is more risk of getting toxic levels of metals from plants we consume for diet and meats since there is no required testing on these.

And many herbs that he has listed actually help to promote health and healing. He did list a few herbs in his list that can be toxic if consumed, but that does not mean they are all toxic and should be avoided.

They include acacia gum, adder’s tongue, agar, alfalfa, aloe vera, angelica root, anise, ash tree, astragalus, balm of gilead, baptisia or wild indigo, barberry, bayberry, bay leaves, bee pollen, bet root, birch, bittersweet, blackberry, black radish and all radishes, black walnut, bladderwrack, blessed thistle, bloodroot, blue cohosh (but not black cohosh), blue vervain, boneset, borage, buchu, burdock root, calamus root, calendula, camphor, capsicum, caraway, cardamom, cassia oil, cayenne, cedar berries, celery root, chamomile, chia seeds, chickweed, cinnamon, cloves, coltsfoot, comfrey, coriander or cilantro to eat but not extracts, corn silk, cranberry, culvers root, cumin, daikon, dandelion leaves and roots, devil’s claw, dill, dong quai, dulse, echinacea, elder flowers, eleuthero, eucalyptus, eyebright, fennel, fenugreek, feverfew, flax, fu-sho oil, garlic, geranium, ginger, gingko biloba, goldenrod, green magma, gum Arabic, hawthorn berries, hops, horehound, horseradish, horsetail and huckleberry leaf.

Others are hydrangea, hyssop, Irish moss, jojoba oil, juniper berries, kelp, lady’s slipper, lapacho, lavender, lemon balm, lemon grass, lily of the valley, linseed oil, maple, marigold, marshmallow root, milkweed, milk thistle, motherwort, mugwort, mullein, mustard, myrrh, nettles, nutmeg, oat straw, Oregon grape root, pansy, parsley, passion flower, peach, pennyroyal, peppermint, periwinkle, plaintain, pleurisy root, poke, poplar, prickly pear cactus, psyllium, pygium, pyrus communis, radishes (black, white, red, Russian, Spanish and other), raspberry, red clover, red sage, rhubarb, rose, rosehips, rosemary, rue, safflower, sassafras, saw palmetto, senna, shave grass, shepherd’s purse, skunk cabbage, slippery elm, sorrel, spearmint, squaw vine, St. John’s wort, strawberry leaves, suma, sumach berries, sweet basil, tansy, thuja, thyme, tiger balm, turkey rhubarb, turmeric, unicorn root, uva ursi, valerian, violet leaves, watercress, watermelon seeds, wheat grass juice, white oak bark, white willow, wild cherry bark, wild lettuce, wild yam, wintergreen, witch hazel, wood betony, wood sage, wormwood, yarrow, yellow vervain, and yucca.

It would be too time consuming to cover the aspects, good and bad, of all the herbs he lists. In short though in my opinion the author is really clueless when it comes to herbal chemistry and properties.

HERBS TO AVOID

The products below are more toxic and, in our experience, are not needed. The only exception might be a short-term emergency use. They include the following herbs and related products:

Chelators. These include all chelators such as high-dose alginates, bugleweed, cilantro extracts, chlorella, spirulina, blue-green algae, azomite, montmorillonite, bentonite and yellow dock.

Not all these are herbs and some such as bugleweed and blue-green algae I never heard of having any chelating properties. But again, the author needs to understand the chemistry of plants. For example, the author is apparently unaware of the benefits of chelation in health and the fact that chelators are found in many plants we consume as food such as seeds, fruits and vegetables.

The main problem with all chelators is they remove small amounts of vital minerals. This would be less of a problem if people were well nourished. However, very few are well

Chelators help to remove toxic free iron and heavy metals.

nourished today, and creating more mineral deficiencies worsens their health – sometimes permanently.

Again the author needs to learn some basics of plant chemistry and how to use common sense. How come everyone is not suffering from mineral deficiencies despite the amount of natural chelators found in plants we consume on a daily basis and have consumed most of our lives?

In addition, avoid natural chelation products. These usually contain one or more of the herbs or other substances listed above. Do not trust those who say they have solved the problem of chelators leaching good minerals out of the body, as I have not found this to be the case, ever.

Others. Other herbs to completely avoid for best results with a nutritional balancing program at this time are aconite, agrimony, belladonna, bentonite and all clays, blue-green algae, bugleweed, cascara sagrada, catnip, chlorella, ephedra, gotu cola, all ginseng, grapefruit seed extract, licorice root, lobelia, lomatium, mistletoe, mandrake root, olive leaf extract, oregano extract, peppers (most), rauwolfa, spirulina and yellow dock.

Many of these herbs he lists are known to be toxic and are not used routinely in herbal medicine. Other herbs he lists are quite safe and beneficial. Again, if the author knew what he was talking about he would have separated the two.

Very few pharmaceutical drugs are ever needed by those who are following a nutritional balancing program. Most over-the-counter and pharmaceutical are very toxic and harmful for the body. They are especially toxic for the liver and kidneys. As a general rule, the sooner a person can quit using most over-the-counter and prescription drugs, the faster the person will get well. This includes all anesthesia drugs, antibiotics, cold remedies and other common drugs.

Exceptions. These include situations when a drug might be needed in emergency situations, or to control high blood pressure until the body can be restored and cleansed naturally. As this happens, the blood pressure will normalize on its own.

Other exceptions may include the use of insulin in a few cases of Type 1 diabetes, rare use of antibiotics, and some heart medications if needed to save a life.

A controversial area is hormone replacement therapy. This is very rarely needed unless the gland that produces the hormone has been surgically removed or damaged beyond repair. If the gland is still present in the body, then I find I do not need to give thyroid replacement hormones, estrogen, progesterone or any other bio-identical or synthetic hormones. A nutritional balancing program will slowly restore natural hormone production, even in an older person. In fact, replacement hormones, while they may relieve symptoms, they always get in the way of deep healing of the body.

Interesting considering the fact that glandulars atrophy the glands just like hormone replacement therapy, but he advocates the use of glandulars.

These subjects are discussed in more detail in the articles on this site entitled Hormone Replacement Therapy, Dangerous Drugs and Problems With Drugs.

Herbs are often the basis for modern drug medicines. Some drugs such as digitalis and others are simply herbal extracts that have been slightly altered so the drug company can obtain a patent on the product. This is true of many other drugs such as antibiotics, anti-hypertensive remedies and others. When the product is altered, its potency or safety are often compromised to some degree.

However, in America, and to some degree in Europe, herbal medicine has been either outlawed or marginalized. This means it is not part of mainstream medical care and its use is not permitted in hospitals and most clinics today.

The reason for this is an old feud between the herbal medical system and the powerful patent drug industry. It began in earnest around the turn of the 20th century. The newer pharmaceutical industry began to make a fortune selling patented remedies. The herbal medicine companies made much less money because their products could not be patented as they are natural substances.

The drug industry then began a campaign to eliminate their competition. With their superior financial resources, they used bribery, false “scientific studies” and even such tactics as extortion and murder to slowly force herbal medicines out of medical schools, mainstream medical journals, hospitals and clinics.

FDA Infiltration. Additionally, the patent drug interests have thoroughly infiltrated the US Food And Drug Administration. With effective control of this powerful government agency, the drug companies and their bribed friends are still today able to limit and often outlaw natural products such as herbs, vitamins and others that compete directly with patented drugs. A prime example was the banning of L-trytophan some years ago. Many other examples could be cited, and a number of books delve into the subject in more detail.

Spreading lies. With control of the major medical journals and often the mainstream media, drug companies spread many lies about the use of natural products. In fact, natural products are generally much safer, much less costly and just as effective or more effective than patent drugs for almost all health conditions. This may sound like a radical statement, but I find it to be true. This truth is also born out by the annual statistics published by the US Poison Control Centers, as well as hospital statistics. They confirm that herbal and nutritional products are very safe, while deaths and disabilities from the use of over-the-counter and prescription drugs costs tens of thousands of lives each year. American and European health care systems are now in severe financial difficulty, in part, because of the anti-competitive and thoroughly corrupt practices of the drug industry.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
08-31-2013 02:37 AM
cdog Offline

(08-31-2013 02:37 AM)James Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 03:35 PM)cdog Wrote:  I been taking herbs and I feel like they are helping me but I found this

what do u think

First of all hair analysis is not even close to being accurate. It is primarily used as a sales tool.

by Lawrence Wilson, MD

Again, hair analysis is not even close to being accurate, yet the author is basing his premise on this inaccurate test.

This is really misleading. Food plants contain phytochemicals just like herbs. If I were to go through a list of plants eaten as food I could find all sorts of compounds that can be considered toxins. For example, look at how many plants we consume contain oxalates or tannins. Other foods sources such as meats also contain their toxins. So is the author going to give up eating to avoid these toxins?

· Spraying with pesticides. Even herbs that are labeled organic or wild crafted may be sprayed with copper sulfate and other “natural” chemicals to increase production or kill pests.

Copper sulfate is hardly natural. And I doubt if it is used as an insecticide since it would likely kill the plant at those levels. This is why copper sulfate is used as an algicide.

I am sorry to have to say that some herb companies, particularly the larger ones, may not be telling the truth about this. One problem is that as herb companies grow larger, they must produce more products, and it becomes harder and harder to supply large amounts of herbs in a natural way. In addition, many suppliers have gone overseas to produce at lower cost, and they may not supervise the cleanliness of the soil and the products as well.

Again the author is being very misleading. All of the big herb manufacturers and many of the smaller ones are all using GMP (good manufacturing practices) or similar programs that require very strict testing of the materials. In fact, these herbs have to undergo more testing for contamination than pharmaceutical drugs.

Again, I doubt it for the same reason I stated above. Maybe he is buying his herbs on some street corner from a shady character. But GMP practices do not allow those levels of contamination. And the GMP companies have to keep very strict records for the FDA of every single batch of herb coming in, which has to be tested multiple times then retested as a final product.

Again I doubt the author's claims.

I don't know anything about yin or yang, but being that the author has not gotten anything else right so far I doubt this claim as well. Especially considering how herbs are used on a daily basis by people around the world and there is no evidence of harm on a widespread basis.

Again very misleading. Formulas tend to be more effective for a variety of reasons including a synergistic effect if properly designed. This can be used to an advantage by increasing the medicinal effects of a particular herbal compound while reducing the risk of toxicity. I use this principle often in my herbal designs.

On the other hand I have seen companies use "text book herbalists" that just add whatever to a formula because they read somewhere that X is good for Y without taking in to account interactions that can be dangerous (rare) or that more commonly negate the effects of the other herbs. I see this a lot with diabetes formulas for example where these herbalists will put uva ursi in the formula because they read that uva ursi lowers blood sugar. Problem is that the tannins in uva ursi also bind various active compounds in other plants rendering those compounds useless and thus reducing the effectiveness of the formula. The same problem exists with certain other herbs such as green tea, which is added to so many formulas just for name recognition and its popularity.

Really misleading!!! What form does the author think most of the minerals in herbs exist in? They are in a chelated form just like other plants. Herbs also contain vitamins and other compounds also found in the plants we eat in our diet.

And if he agrees with using animal glandulars in medicine then I have another point of contention since glandulars are one of the easiest ways to screw up the system since they provide hormones that can alter the balance of our own glands and lead to atrophy of our own glands. But glandular compounds are often proscribed by naturopathic doctors and cost a lot more than most herbs.

High quality herbs are RARELY expensive, and are a lot cheaper than glandulars and especially pharmaceutical drugs. There are a few very expensive herbs due to rarity, such as goldenseal. But there are very cheap substitutes for goldenseal, which I avoid anyway due to the problems goldenseal and its relatives can cause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO5c2L8CsDQ

There are safer, better and cheaper herbs that can be used in place of berberine herbs such as goldenseal.

Medicine is general can be a little complex. But food is part of our medicine. Should we stop eating just because of the numerous ways food can affect our health?

As directed using a highly inaccurate hair mineral analysis? Again, what is the difference between the minerals in medicinal herbs and those found in plants we consume as part of our diet? None.

Again, most herbs are tested numerous times for metals and cannot be used if above strict limits. There is more risk of getting toxic levels of metals from plants we consume for diet and meats since there is no required testing on these.

And many herbs that he has listed actually help to promote health and healing. He did list a few herbs in his list that can be toxic if consumed, but that does not mean they are all toxic and should be avoided.

It would be too time consuming to cover the aspects, good and bad, of all the herbs he lists. In short though in my opinion the author is really clueless when it comes to herbal chemistry and properties.

HERBS TO AVOID

Not all these are herbs and some such as bugleweed and blue-green algae I never heard of having any chelating properties. But again, the author needs to understand the chemistry of plants. For example, the author is apparently unaware of the benefits of chelation in health and the fact that chelators are found in many plants we consume as food such as seeds, fruits and vegetables.

Chelators help to remove toxic free iron and heavy metals.

Again the author needs to learn some basics of plant chemistry and how to use common sense. How come everyone is not suffering from mineral deficiencies despite the amount of natural chelators found in plants we consume on a daily basis and have consumed most of our lives?

Many of these herbs he lists are known to be toxic and are not used routinely in herbal medicine. Other herbs he lists are quite safe and beneficial. Again, if the author knew what he was talking about he would have separated the two.

Interesting considering the fact that glandulars atrophy the glands just like hormone replacement therapy, but he advocates the use of glandulars.

09-04-2013 12:46 PM
Avi Offline

since I just went to the indian grocer, and purchased some turmeric clove and curry powder, after I returned home I noticed that the curry contained bay leaves [powdered in the mix].

whats interesting is ive always heard that bay leaves were toxic. this article may begin to explain how its the concentrated extract, that actually is [big difference].

http://thetoxicologisttoday.blogspot.com...-what.html
12-14-2013 05:41 PM