Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Regenerating myelin
James Offline
Administrator

Regenerating myelin
Neuropathies generally result from myelin breakdown. Elevated glucose is one cause but infection, medications or trauma can also lead to neuropathies. Therefore, the focus is on rebuilding the myelin.

Myelin regenerates so slowly that it was once thought to not regenerate at all. It has since been proven that myelin can regenerate, although it takes a considerable amount of time.

The best way to rebuild myelin is with lecithin, fatty acids and vitamins B6, B12 and folate or trimethylglycine (TMG).

Lecithin is best taken as granules. Recommended dose is one tablespoon 3 times daily with meals. You can sprinkle the granules on food or blend in a smoothie. It has a slightly nutty flavor.

Fatty acids can be derived from fish oils and nut oils. For fish oil stick to molecular distilled fish body oil. This removes any rancidity or pollutants from the oil. I also recommend avoiding salmon oil due to the high risk of heavy metal contamination the fish accumulate from their feed in salmon farms. Seed oils include hemp, flax, etc.

For B12 I recommend getting a sublingual tablet of methylcobalamin. By using sublingual tablets it bypasses possible absorption problems. methylcobalamin is recommended over cyanocobalamin since methylcobalamin is active B12 while cyanocobalamin is inactive B12. Long term, high dose supplementation is not necessary as B12 is stores in the liver. Therefore, all that is required is to build back up B12 stores in the liver, which does not require long term daily supplementation.

If the cause of the neuropathy is known other things can be done to address the cause. For example, diabetic neuropathy can be addressed with herbs to maintain proper blood sugar levels by blocking sugar absorption, by regeneration of beta cells and by re-opening insulin receptors. If due to an infection then full range antimicrobial herbs can be useful.

To help with the chronic pain I recommend the amino acid compound DL-phenylalanine (DLPA). DLPA is a precursor for the body's dopamine, which is our own pain killer. DLPA should be taken on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before meals. It takes about 2 weeks to kick in, but the effects are long lasting once it kicks in. Recommended intake is 1,000mg 3 times daily on an empty stomach.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 07:27 PM by James.)
04-10-2013 01:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
marlee4s Offline

RE: Regenerating myelin
I have chronic demyelinating inflammatory polyneuropathy (CIDP), which is considered an autoimmune disease. Do you have any suggestions for supplements and diet that will help this condition? i have a paralyzed right hand, left foot drop, paralyzed vocal cord, numbness in left hand and right foot and an abducted right pupil.
I will be grateful for any suggestions.
03-12-2014 04:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply