Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
vitex and tyrosine
eoeoe69 Offline

vitex and tyrosine
Hi James,

i've read that vitex activates dopamine receptors and reduces the levels of the hormone prolactin and may thus increase the effects of drugs such as bromocriptine (prescribed for Parkinson's disease, for the prevention of lactation and for other conditions involving elevated prolactin levels). It may also interact with drugs that activate dopamine receptors, such as amantadine, L-dopa and other drugs used to treat Parkinson's disease.

If someone is using tyrosine, which elevates dopamine levels, is better avoid vitex?

thank you

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

J.H
03-27-2013 12:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: vitex and tyrosine
(03-27-2013 12:39 PM)eoeoe69 Wrote:  Hi James,

i've read that vitex activates dopamine receptors and reduces the levels of the hormone prolactin and may thus increase the effects of drugs such as bromocriptine (prescribed for Parkinson's disease, for the prevention of lactation and for other conditions involving elevated prolactin levels). It may also interact with drugs that activate dopamine receptors, such as amantadine, L-dopa and other drugs used to treat Parkinson's disease.

If someone is using tyrosine, which elevates dopamine levels, is better avoid vitex?

thank you

I really don't think there is an issue for several reasons. First is that vitex is not a strong acting herb. It even takes several months to build up to effective levels. Secondly, there is a lot more involved in the regulation of prolactin. For example, levels of prolactin can be influenced by compounds such as estrogen and thyroid releasing hormone. Therefore, there is not a single regulatory mechanism, but rather a series of regulatory mechanisms to maintain normal prolactin levels.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
04-09-2013 11:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply