Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Swallowed foreign object and I now have constant stomach noises a month later
greatplains Offline

Swallowed foreign object and I now have constant stomach noises a month later
This all started about a month ago when I was eating a single piece of beef jerky with the wrapper halfway rolled down. Somehow the entire thing got stuck in my throat. I was choking for a bit at first until I lifted my chin up and it went down. For the next 40 minutes I had a painful feeling in my chest and considered going to the emergency room. Suddenly, the pain subsided so I thought I was fine. Over the next couple hours or so I experienced about two waves of stomach pain. They lasted just for a couple seconds each. I did not experience that pain again. By the next day, I noticed my stomach was constantly making gurgling and growling noises. A few days later, I noticed that I passed the wrapper in my stool.

The problem is, the constant noises haven't gone away and it has been almost a month since this happened. This has me really worried that I might have permanently changed something in my GI tract. I do not have any pain, other than maybe some fullness or tenderness in my abdomen. I have never experienced these sounds before other than when I was very hungry. Now they happen constantly, on an empty stomach or a full stomach. Even when I drink water or eat I can feel and hear it bubble in my stomach right away. I spent countless hours trying to research what could possibly be causing this, but I have not found anything. I have read about a lot of people who suddenly start having these noises, and they never go away. I personally talked to one person like that and he has no other symptoms other than the noises that randomly began to happen one day. I tried to find information on the noises happening after swallowing a foreign object, but could not find a single thing. I know I did something to my GI tract, but I'm just totally stumped as to what it is. It already feels like the condition is chronic because there have been no decrease in my symptoms at all, and last night I had some of the loudest sounds so far when I woke up in the morning. These sounds also keep me up at night and are extremely embarrassing when other people hear them.

I have tried everything I read about regarding stomach noises and none of it worked. This includes kefir, fiber, ginger tea, peppermint oil, digestive enzymes, gas-x, immodium, and others. I am planning to try glutamine as well. My question to you is do you have any idea what I might have done to my GI tract? Maybe I did something to the LES sphincter or the pylorus that is allowing gas to come in or not letting food digest properly? Maybe I threw off the muscle contraction system and it won't go back to normal? I think the problem may start at my stomach, considering how more sounds will begin when food or water enters it. But I do hear sounds from all over my gut including the left and right side. I would really appreciate your opinion because this is having a big effect on my life and it appears to be some sort of mystery.
10-05-2012 11:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Swallowed foreign object and I now have constant stomach noises a month later
(10-05-2012 11:13 PM)greatplains Wrote:  This all started about a month ago when I was eating a single piece of beef jerky with the wrapper halfway rolled down. Somehow the entire thing got stuck in my throat. I was choking for a bit at first until I lifted my chin up and it went down. For the next 40 minutes I had a painful feeling in my chest and considered going to the emergency room.

The pain was likely just from the edges of the wrapper scratching the inside of the esophagus as the wrapper went down. Just like the esophageal pain people sometimes get from swallowing some pills, especially if they were broken first.

Suddenly, the pain subsided so I thought I was fine. Over the next couple hours or so I experienced about two waves of stomach pain. They lasted just for a couple seconds each. I did not experience that pain again. By the next day, I noticed my stomach was constantly making gurgling and growling noises. A few days later, I noticed that I passed the wrapper in my stool.

The problem is, the constant noises haven't gone away and it has been almost a month since this happened. This has me really worried that I might have permanently changed something in my GI tract. I do not have any pain, other than maybe some fullness or tenderness in my abdomen. I have never experienced these sounds before other than when I was very hungry. Now they happen constantly, on an empty stomach or a full stomach. Even when I drink water or eat I can feel and hear it bubble in my stomach right away. I spent countless hours trying to research what could possibly be causing this, but I have not found anything. I have read about a lot of people who suddenly start having these noises, and they never go away. I personally talked to one person like that and he has no other symptoms other than the noises that randomly began to happen one day. I tried to find information on the noises happening after swallowing a foreign object, but could not find a single thing. I know I did something to my GI tract, but I'm just totally stumped as to what it is. It already feels like the condition is chronic because there have been no decrease in my symptoms at all, and last night I had some of the loudest sounds so far when I woke up in the morning. These sounds also keep me up at night and are extremely embarrassing when other people hear them.

I have tried everything I read about regarding stomach noises and none of it worked. This includes kefir, fiber, ginger tea, peppermint oil, digestive enzymes, gas-x, immodium, and others. I am planning to try glutamine as well. My question to you is do you have any idea what I might have done to my GI tract? Maybe I did something to the LES sphincter or the pylorus that is allowing gas to come in or not letting food digest properly? Maybe I threw off the muscle contraction system and it won't go back to normal?

The plastic would not have caused any permanent damage. It will simply pass.

I think the problem may start at my stomach, considering how more sounds will begin when food or water enters it. But I do hear sounds from all over my gut including the left and right side. I would really appreciate your opinion because this is having a big effect on my life and it appears to be some sort of mystery.

Here is what I wrote in my e-mail to you:

"Bubbling in the digestive tract is generally from gas production. Either excess fermentation in the stomach or intestines. I recommend trying to build up your flora with a fiber such as rice bran, oat bran or a vegetable gum. Avoid psyllium, which can create more gas. Also adding some yucca root powder will help the flora and will reduce the gas by acting as a surfactant."

The other possibility is that you are simply swallowing more air than usual. The body heat expands the air after being swallowed, so it does not take much air to make a lot of sound.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
10-09-2012 11:52 PM
greatplains Offline

RE: Swallowed foreign object and I now have constant stomach noises a month later
(10-09-2012 11:52 PM)James Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 11:13 PM)greatplains Wrote:  This all started about a month ago when I was eating a single piece of beef jerky with the wrapper halfway rolled down. Somehow the entire thing got stuck in my throat. I was choking for a bit at first until I lifted my chin up and it went down. For the next 40 minutes I had a painful feeling in my chest and considered going to the emergency room.

The pain was likely just from the edges of the wrapper scratching the inside of the esophagus as the wrapper went down. Just like the esophageal pain people sometimes get from swallowing some pills, especially if they were broken first.

Suddenly, the pain subsided so I thought I was fine. Over the next couple hours or so I experienced about two waves of stomach pain. They lasted just for a couple seconds each. I did not experience that pain again. By the next day, I noticed my stomach was constantly making gurgling and growling noises. A few days later, I noticed that I passed the wrapper in my stool.

I have tried everything I read about regarding stomach noises and none of it worked. This includes kefir, fiber, ginger tea, peppermint oil, digestive enzymes, gas-x, immodium, and others. I am planning to try glutamine as well. My question to you is do you have any idea what I might have done to my GI tract? Maybe I did something to the LES sphincter or the pylorus that is allowing gas to come in or not letting food digest properly? Maybe I threw off the muscle contraction system and it won't go back to normal?

The plastic would not have caused any permanent damage. It will simply pass.

I think the problem may start at my stomach, considering how more sounds will begin when food or water enters it. But I do hear sounds from all over my gut including the left and right side. I would really appreciate your opinion because this is having a big effect on my life and it appears to be some sort of mystery.

Here is what I wrote in my e-mail to you:

"Bubbling in the digestive tract is generally from gas production. Either excess fermentation in the stomach or intestines. I recommend trying to build up your flora with a fiber such as rice bran, oat bran or a vegetable gum. Avoid psyllium, which can create more gas. Also adding some yucca root powder will help the flora and will reduce the gas by acting as a surfactant."

The other possibility is that you are simply swallowing more air than usual. The body heat expands the air after being swallowed, so it does not take much air to make a lot of sound.

I have been drinking kefir, eating oat bran as my fiber source, and doing other things you recommend. There has been no cessation of my symptoms. I recently bought some yucca root and have been taking good sized doses and it has not helped. This is extremely strange. The sounds are coming from my stomach and my intestines. I also think it's coming from my large intestine. Sometimes, my stomach will go through a period of a couple hours where I can literally feel movement nonstop. It's a rumbling and fluttering feeling that isn't always accompanied with noises. But the noises constantly come anyway. They wake me up at night and keep me from sleeping because I am always hearing and feeling them. I just cannot understand what could be causing this, especially when I don't have any other symptoms like diarrhea, constipation, or stomach cramps. I don't feel like I am swallowing more air, but if that were the case, what could be causing it? This all started after I swallowed a plastic wrapper. I wasn't even worried about it after the chest pains went away because I knew I would pass it. Then I started getting these symptoms and they haven't gone away.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 02:27 PM by greatplains.)
10-11-2012 02:21 PM