Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When Are Proten Powders Needed?
Whitey Offline

When Are Proten Powders Needed?
If I eat animal protein with each meal, should I take protein powders also? Been adding rice protein powder to my chicken soup every day.

Is whey protein better than rice protein?
10-02-2012 06:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: When Are Proten Powders Needed?
(10-02-2012 06:18 PM)Whitey Wrote:  If I eat animal protein with each meal, should I take protein powders also? Been adding rice protein powder to my chicken soup every day.

Is whey protein better than rice protein?

A variety of protein sources is always a good idea as protein sources have different amino acid profiles. By using multiple protein sources you will get a wider variety of amino acids.

Keep in mind though that large amounts of protein are not required. The body can only utilize around 3 ounces of protein daily. Excess protein is simply wasted and puts more stress on the body as it has to deal with the higher levels of ammonia and uric acid generated by the amino acid breakdown.

Keep in mind though that animal proteins are not 100% protein. Therefore, a 3 ounce piece of steak or fish is not 3 ounces of protein. Beef is only about 22% protein and fish about 24% protein. Interestingly, plants can have higher protein contents. Pollen for example is 30% protein, and unlike animal proteins is a complete protein source. Chlorella is around 65% protein. Spirulina is often referred to as an algae, so many people think it is a plant. In reality though spirulina is a cyanobacteria, but is about 95% protein. These protein sources are actually more nutritious than animal proteins or protein isolates.

As for rice and whey protein, whey protein is considered the best for building muscle. The amino acids of proteins though are used for various other things in the body including insulin and neurotransmitter production. Therefore, is one better than the other? In my opinion no. Each has its own specific levels of amino acids and therefore each has slightly different properties. Again, this is why a variety of protein sources works the best.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
10-27-2012 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply