Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Insulin and fat
Anderson Offline

Insulin and fat
In the 80/10/10 diet there is a claim that a high fat comsumption affects the functioning of insulin. In this diet they limit fat to 10% of total calories.

Does anyone know if this make any sense?
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2012 11:11 PM by Anderson.)
09-17-2012 11:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Insulin and fat
(09-17-2012 11:10 PM)Anderson Wrote:  In the 80/10/10 diet there is a claim that a high fat consumption affects the functioning of insulin. In this diet they limit fat to 10% of total calories.

Does anyone know if this make any sense?

Its kind of true. Simply ingesting high fats does not mean you will develop diabetes. On the other hand fats are highly caloric and if you increase your body fat then this can increase your risk of insulin resistance.

You may find this interesting. This is a post I did in response to this article http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...s-age.aspx :

Chromium has different forms, some being more effective than others. Dosing is also important to have an effect.

Although you are right that there are other factors such as vanadium levels, activity, amount of body fat, muscle mass, etc. Vanadium helps to reduce blood sugar even if insulin receptors are closed, and it helps to open insulin receptors in the process. Increased body fat can increase insulin resistance, while muscle burns glucose even in a resting state. Increased activity though burns more glucose. This is why I like to see diabetes addressed from different angles including sugar blocking, carbohydrate blocking, natural insulin-like compounds, magnesium for insulin production and preventing insulin damage, silica to prevent insulin damage, etc. The file I posted was part of an old posting on other boards which I wrote because I had mentioned chromium and insulin receptors on the board and there were several naysayers that did not believe me. So I figured I would modify the post a little and post it here because it is something that is beneficial to diabetics, pre-diabetics, and those with reactive (not chronic)hypoglycemia. It is cheap, and will not cause any harm at the recommended doses.

As for the article you posted, I agree with the majority of it. There are a few things though that I strongly disagree with.

First, their claim that there is no difference between the fructose in fruit and the fructose in soda, which is actually a fructose/glucose mix (high fructose corn syrup). This claim is very misleading for a simple fact. Fruits also contain fibers and fats that slow down the absorption of sugar. So there is less of a sudden spike when ingesting sugars from fruits as opposed to a soda. This is why higher fiber diets are recommended to diabetics.

By the same token they claim that high fiber means high carbohydrate, and thus causes insulin spikes. Again this is misleading. Yes, fibers are carbohydrates, but they are not digested by the body. You could grind up a two by four and eat the sawdust, and it is going to have little if any effect on blood sugar. In order to be absorbed the long chain sugar units of the fiber would have to be broken down in to smaller glucose units for absorption. This would require that our bodies produce the enzyme cellulase, which we don't.

The second thing I disagree with is their claim of how insulin causes heart disease. It does not deposit fat in to the arterial walls. In fact, in order to do this it would have to have fat receptors, which I have never heard of with insulin. Insulin is capable of transporting glucose and vitamin C, but I have never seen any evidence that it transports fat. Insulin moves most of the glucose to the liver for storage as glycogen. Once the liver has its glycogen store the excess glucose is converted in to lipoproteins that are released in the blood where they can be converted to fatty acids.

Anyway, back to the point. Insulin is responsible for many of the adverse effects of diabetes. Diabetic retinopathy, kidney damage, gangrene, and much of the heart disease are all caused from insulin damage, not the elevated glucose. The damage comes from the powerful vasoconstrictive effects of high insulin. This leads to rupturing of the micro blood vessels. In the eyes you have diabetic retinopathy. In the kidneys you have kidney damage. In the extremities they can develop gangrene. And the constrictive effects of larger arteries leads to damage of the lining from both the strong constriction, and the higher blood pressure on the arterial walls. In response to the inflammation from the damage, cholesterol deposits on the injured area in an attempt to heal the injury.

Runners suffer the same problem. It is not the high carbohydrate diet that leads to heart disease, but rather the increased pressure on the arterial walls that lead to arterial damage, and thus cholesterol deposition. In fact, the reason runners get the slow pulse, low blood pressure, and low body temperature is the heavy exercise load causes the thyroid to start shutting down (exercise induced hypothyroidism) to compensate for the heavier load on the vascular system and body temperature. In other words it is the body's protective mechanism. But it can only go so far to protect the body. Hypothyroidism can also increase inflammatory homocysteine levels, which can further increase the risk of heart disease.

As a final comment I really disagree with any strict diet, which includes low carb, high protein. Especially in diabetics. Diabetics are already at high risk for kidney damage from insulin. High protein diets put more load on the kidneys and increase the risk of kidney damage due to uric acid crystals that can shred the kidneys if not completely hydrolyzed. In addition, foods such as green leafy vegetables are good source of magnesium, which helps to prevent insulin damage.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
01-18-2014 04:10 PM
Anderson Offline

RE: Insulin and fat
Thanks for your comments James.

What they claim is actually that fat interferes with the functioning of insulin.

There is a video where Doug Graham claims that fat "coats" insulin and other hormones disturbing their functioning. That's why they believe in limiting fat intake to a maximum of 10% of total calories. Having in mind that fat has more than twice as much calories as protein and carbohydrate, the amount of fat allowed is really small.

I think it sounds pretty weird the whole theory.
01-27-2014 02:05 PM