Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Possible Low Cortisol?
j226 Offline

Possible Low Cortisol?
Hi James,

I know I probably have weak adrenals but I'm wondering if these symptoms sound specifically like low cortisol. My symptoms include:

-Multiple supplement sensitivities including licorice root, nettle leaf, resveratrol, bee pollen, turmeric, 5-htp, dandelion, andrographis, and chaparral. I also seem to have food sensitivities but those have been more difficult to identify since the reactions can be delayed. I had been taking a few of these supplements about 3yrs ago with no issues.
-Skin irritation which is triggered by the supp / food sensitivities. I posted about this in another thread. The reactions cause stinging / itching sensation, when at its most severe it left some scars but that hasn't happened in a while since I know what to avoid and slowly introduce supps. I no longer think this is auto immune. I recently learned that my Mom has the same problem which seems to stem from allergic reactions which left some scars but she has no signs of any AI disorder or linear scleroderma.
-When I have an allergic reaction it's most likely to happen when I'm sedentary or at night before bed. I rarely have problems when active. Also stress at least temporarily seems to keep the reactions away. Lack of sleep makes the allergies worse.
-Periods of fatigue / anxiousness / brain fog
-Occasional lightheadedness, dizziness upon standing up, indigestion, and weakness if I go too long without eating (my blood sugar is normal)
-Intermittent swelling in hands
-Alcohol intolerance which came on suddenly

I'm currently taking: amla 2 00 caps 3x a day, magnesium 600mg, ashwagandha 1 cap 3x, jiaogulan 1 cap 3x, Now pantothenic acid, black seed oil, MSM 1/2 tsp, vitamin mk7, pau d'arco occasionally. The supplements I'm on have really helped although it seems like I still need to make a lot of progress to get back to normal.

Assuming this sounds like low cortisol would yucca root be good for boosting cortisol?

To help determine my food sensitivities do you think allopathic allergy tests are accurate?

I'm probably introducing schisandra and suma next and would like to mix the powders together. This is the formula I was thinking of making while keeping amla / B5 separate: 2 parts schisandra, 1 part ashwagandha, 1 part jiaogulan, 1 part suma, 1 part cordyceps. Two caps 3x a day. Does that look good or are there any suggested changes?

For pantothenic acid would taking 2 or 3 Now 500mg pills a day be about the right dose? I've only been taking this for a week but it seems to have helped energy levels and the allergies.

I have a unused bottle of Jarrow vitamin B complex. Asides from B5 which I'm already taking would the other B vitamins help the adrenals?

Quercetin possibly helped the allergies although I need to test it more. Since I can't take nettle leaf are there any other anti-histamine supplements that might help?

Unrelated questions.. I have some herbs that probably won't be used in a while. If frozen would that stop them from degrading over time? Also, what would be a good dose of kava kava powder for insomnia?

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 04:07 PM by j226.)
08-23-2012 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Possible Low Cortisol?
(08-23-2012 01:46 PM)j226 Wrote:  Hi James,

I know I probably have weak adrenals but I'm wondering if these symptoms sound specifically like low cortisol. My symptoms include:

-Multiple supplement sensitivities including licorice root, nettle leaf, resveratrol, bee pollen, turmeric, 5-htp, dandelion, andrographis, and chaparral. I also seem to have food sensitivities but those have been more difficult to identify since the reactions can be delayed. I had been taking a few of these supplements about 3yrs ago with no issues.
-Skin irritation which is triggered by the supp / food sensitivities. I posted about this in another thread. The reactions cause stinging / itching sensation, when at its most severe it left some scars but that hasn't happened in a while since I know what to avoid and slowly introduce supps. I no longer think this is auto immune. I recently learned that my Mom has the same problem which seems to stem from allergic reactions which left some scars but she has no signs of any AI disorder or linear scleroderma.
-When I have an allergic reaction it's most likely to happen when I'm sedentary or at night before bed. I rarely have problems when active. Also stress at least temporarily seems to keep the reactions away. Lack of sleep makes the allergies worse.
-Periods of fatigue / anxiousness / brain fog
-Occasional lightheadedness, dizziness upon standing up, indigestion, and weakness if I go too long without eating (my blood sugar is normal)
-Intermittent swelling in hands
-Alcohol intolerance which came on suddenly

Most of these symptoms sound a lot more like a lack of epinephrine than a lack of cortisol. But epinephrine is also produced by the adrenals so adrenal dysfunction can cause a decline in epinephrine.

I'm currently taking: amla 2 00 caps 3x a day, magnesium 600mg, ashwagandha 1 cap 3x, jiaogulan 1 cap 3x, Now pantothenic acid, black seed oil, MSM 1/2 tsp, vitamin mk7, pau d'arco occasionally. The supplements I'm on have really helped although it seems like I still need to make a lot of progress to get back to normal.

As your adrenals strengthen you should have less of a reaction to the supplements, which will make building the adrenals faster.

Assuming this sounds like low cortisol would yucca root be good for boosting cortisol?

Yucca root is good for the adrenals in general.

To help determine my food sensitivities do you think allopathic allergy tests are accurate?

They are pretty accurate, but they cannot test for all possible allergens. And even if you do find you are allergic then what? All they are going to want to do is put you on allergy medications that can make the underlying problem worse. To get rid of the allergies you need to get the adrenals working properly again.

I'm probably introducing schisandra and suma next and would like to mix the powders together. This is the formula I was thinking of making while keeping amla / B5 separate: 2 parts schisandra, 1 part ashwagandha, 1 part jiaogulan, 1 part suma, 1 part cordyceps. Two caps 3x a day. Does that look good or are there any suggested changes?

That sounds good, but try any herbs you have not used before alone for a few days first to make sure you are not going to be allergic to any of them.

Something else you can do is to take quercetin at the same time, which is antihistamine/antileukotriene to counter allergic reactions.

For pantothenic acid would taking 2 or 3 Now 500mg pills a day be about the right dose? I've only been taking this for a week but it seems to have helped energy levels and the allergies.

500mg is a pretty hefty dose for pantothenic acid. Even though it is relatively safe B vitamin high doses of individual B vitamins can cause problems with the balance of other B vitamins. Therefore you need to make sure you are getting your other B vitamins from some source.

I have a unused bottle of Jarrow vitamin B complex. Asides from B5 which I'm already taking would the other B vitamins help the adrenals?

Not necessarily for the adrenals, bu they can help other parts of the body including the liver and nervous system and again you do need to have more of a balance of B vitamins so it would be a good idea to take them.

Quercetin possibly helped the allergies although I need to test it more. Since I can't take nettle leaf are there any other anti-histamine supplements that might help?

Eyebright, coleus forskohlii and zizyphus seed are a few.

Unrelated questions.. I have some herbs that probably won't be used in a while. If frozen would that stop them from degrading over time?

Unless vacuum packing the herbs before freezing I do not recommend freezing them. The problem is moisture in the air can condense inside the package of herbs, which is not good. Most cases they are best just stored in a cool, dark place.

Also, what would be a good dose of kava kava powder for insomnia?

A half teaspoon on an empty stomach should do the trick.

Thanks

You're welcome.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
08-29-2012 12:32 AM
j226 Offline

(08-29-2012 12:32 AM)James Wrote:  They are pretty accurate, but they cannot test for all possible allergens. And even if you do find you are allergic then what? All they are going to want to do is put you on allergy medications that can make the underlying problem worse. To get rid of the allergies you need to get the adrenals working properly again.

I was just interested to find out if there are any foods I should avoid until I build up my adrenal health but I wouldn't try the allopathic allergy meds. When I initially went to the doctor I was put on prednisone for a week at which time the symptoms were gone, and once I stopped the symptoms came back worse.

Unfortunately, it looks like I might also allergic to schisandra and suma along with licorice root. Ashwagandha makes me feel a lot better and for jiaogulan I'm not allergic but I'm also not sure if it's helping.

Next I'm trying one at a time yucca root, cordyceps, siberian ginseng, and astragalus. If I also have allergies with those are there any other adaptogens worth trying?

If I can't find anything else that doesn't cause a reaction would it make sense to cycle the ones I'm mildly allergic to or would that make things harder on my adrenals? For example day 1 use schisandra, day 2 suma, day 3 licorice root, then repeat.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 01:44 PM by j226.)
08-29-2012 01:39 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-29-2012 01:39 PM)j226 Wrote:  
(08-29-2012 12:32 AM)James Wrote:  They are pretty accurate, but they cannot test for all possible allergens. And even if you do find you are allergic then what? All they are going to want to do is put you on allergy medications that can make the underlying problem worse. To get rid of the allergies you need to get the adrenals working properly again.

I was just interested to find out if there are any foods I should avoid until I build up my adrenal health but I wouldn't try the allopathic allergy meds.

It would be foods you are allergic to and stay away from stimulants like caffeine.

When I initially went to the doctor I was put on prednisone for a week at which time the symptoms were gone, and once I stopped the symptoms came back worse.

Yes, the Prednisone atrophies the adrenals, which is why the allergies came back worse.

Unfortunately, it looks like I might also allergic to schisandra and suma along with licorice root. Ashwagandha makes me feel a lot better and for jiaogulan I'm not allergic but I'm also not sure if it's helping.

Jiaogulan is excellent for the adrenals, but nutrition for the adrenals is the most important. Adapotgens are not going to do a whole lot if the adrenals are not receiving the nutrition they need. The primary nutrients required are vitamin C and pantothenic acid.

Next I'm trying one at a time yucca root, cordyceps, siberian ginseng, and astragalus. If I also have allergies with those are there any other adaptogens worth trying?

You covered most of my favorites. Astragalus is also a great choice. And I like nettle leaf a lot for adrenal support even though it is not really classified as an adaptogen.

If I can't find anything else that doesn't cause a reaction would it make sense to cycle the ones I'm mildly allergic to or would that make things harder on my adrenals? For example day 1 use schisandra, day 2 suma, day 3 licorice root, then repeat.

You could focus on what you are not having reactions to for right now. This will give you some adrenal support and as the adrenals become stronger you will be less likely to react to the other herbs so you can start adding those back in one by one.

08-29-2012 07:27 PM
j226 Offline

Hi James,

I'm bumping this thread since I had a few more questions. I had a crash, I'm not sure if it's because the amount of ashwagandha, jiaogulan, or synthetic B5 I was taking was too stimulatory. I was on about 500mg of each 3x a day but they didn't cause my typical skin irritation that I get from allergic reactions. I'm not certain but suspect the Now brand pantothenic acid could have caused my recent issues, it was the only thing that caused a stimulatory effect which was kind of a jittery feeling.

Because I probably have low epinephrine could l-tyrosine help?

Since I have multiple sensitives and possibly need to avoid higher doses of adaptogens I'm planning on putting together a few formulas for smaller doses and taking 1/2 a tsp 3x daily then rotating every 2-3 days to avoid building up a reaction. Quercetin makes a difference in suppressing my allergies so I might have to take it with the formulas.

It's difficult to find herbs to help here since my known adrenal supporting sensitivities are astragulas, licorice, shisandra, bee pollen, nettle leaf. Possible slight allergies to suma and holy basil but I didn't test them long. Finding a B5 source has been the biggest challenge.
I might be able to tolerate small amounts of bee pollen since the reaction is delayed by several days.

Please let me know what you think about possibly rotating these 3 forms. I know the gotu kola doesn't really support the adrenals but I added it to dilute the other herbs a little to reduce the chance of a reaction and for B vitamins.

Form 1:
-1 part jiaogulan
-1 part ashwaghandha
-1/2 part holy basil
-1 part yucca root
-1 part kelp
-2 part amla
-25mg of synthetic pantothenic acid per 1/2 tsp

Form 2:
-1 part jiaogulan
-1 part cordyceps
-1 part maca
-1 part yucca root
-1 part kelp
-2 part amla
-1 part gotu kola
- pantethine 30mg sublingual used separately

Form 3:
-1 part suma
-2 part cordyceps
-1 part reishi
-1 part siberian ginseng
-2 part acerola
-1 part yucca root
-1 part gotu kola
-1 part kelp

Also, would using those formulas provide enough vitamin C or should I take another amla capsule separately?
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2012 08:10 PM by j226.)
09-14-2012 10:01 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(09-14-2012 10:01 AM)j226 Wrote:  Hi James,

I'm bumping this thread since I had a few more questions. I had a crash, I'm not sure if it's because the amount of ashwagandha, jiaogulan, or synthetic B5 I was taking was too stimulatory. I was on about 500mg of each 3x a day but they didn't cause my typical skin irritation that I get from allergic reactions. I'm not certain but suspect the Now brand pantothenic acid could have caused my recent issues, it was the only thing that caused a stimulatory effect which was kind of a jittery feeling.

Because I probably have low epinephrine could l-tyrosine help?

Yes, it is a precursor for epinephrine. Remember to take it on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before meals.

Since I have multiple sensitives and possibly need to avoid higher doses of adaptogens I'm planning on putting together a few formulas for smaller doses and taking 1/2 a tsp 3x daily then rotating every 2-3 days to avoid building up a reaction. Quercetin makes a difference in suppressing my allergies so I might have to take it with the formulas.

It's difficult to find herbs to help here since my known adrenal supporting sensitivities are astragulas, licorice, shisandra, bee pollen, nettle leaf. Possible slight allergies to suma and holy basil but I didn't test them long. Finding a B5 source has been the biggest challenge.
I might be able to tolerate small amounts of bee pollen since the reaction is delayed by several days.

Please let me know what you think about possibly rotating these 3 forms. I know the gotu kola doesn't really support the adrenals but I added it to dilute the other herbs a little to reduce the chance of a reaction and for B vitamins.

Form 1:
-1 part jiaogulan
-1 part ashwaghandha
-1/2 part holy basil
-1 part yucca root
-1 part kelp
-2 part amla
-25mg of synthetic pantothenic acid per 1/2 tsp

Form 2:
-1 part jiaogulan
-1 part cordyceps
-1 part maca
-1 part yucca root
-1 part kelp
-2 part amla
-1 part gotu kola

Form 3:
-1 part suma
-2 part cordyceps
-1 part reishi
-1 part siberian ginseng
-2 part acerola
-1 part yucca root
-1 part gotu kola
-1 part kelp

Also, would using those formulas provide enough vitamin C or should I take another amla capsule separately?

The formulas look good. But with your adrenals being so stressed I would recommend getting more vitamin C. Especially in your diet. I made a list of fruits high in vitamin C that I recommend focusing on.

The B vitamins in the gotu kola will help with the nervous system.

09-16-2012 12:46 AM