Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Guts or Mental Issues? Which Came First?
MarciGal Offline

Guts or Mental Issues? Which Came First?
I've been trying to figure out why I'm having such horrendous troubles with my gut AND suffering such severe mental/emotional issues at the same time. The more I research, the more I'm convinced the gut and the brain are indeed connected in many ways.

I have been taking sups and other therapies to address the gut issues, esp. the gallbladder in additional to sups for the brain. But I am wondering how would or could I know which problem came first, the gut imbalances or the brain chemical imbalances? Or does it work both ways?

What is the best way to really heal the gut, from tummy to the exit zone? Best sups, best foods, best therapies? It is my 'gut' feeling that my guts went haywire first and the depression/mental issues are a result of that. That being said, after years now of healthy eating, probiotics [sups and food sources], fiber, pure water, green drinks [fresh juiced and powdered], juicing, etc., I would feel better by now but I feel worse.

Perhaps a juice fast of several days or longer? Or perhaps a juice/vegan fast for awhile might be something worth trying? I do need to keep my GB pumping tho, lest it sludge up and stone up even more than it already has. Guess some daily avocados would help with that? And coconut oil/creme?

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks!

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
08-13-2012 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Guts or Mental Issues? Which Came First?
(08-13-2012 01:04 PM)MarciGal Wrote:  I've been trying to figure out why I'm having such horrendous troubles with my gut AND suffering such severe mental/emotional issues at the same time. The more I research, the more I'm convinced the gut and the brain are indeed connected in many ways.

I have been taking sups and other therapies to address the gut issues, esp. the gallbladder in additional to sups for the brain. But I am wondering how would or could I know which problem came first, the gut imbalances or the brain chemical imbalances? Or does it work both ways?

What is the best way to really heal the gut, from tummy to the exit zone? Best sups, best foods, best therapies? It is my 'gut' feeling that my guts went haywire first and the depression/mental issues are a result of that. That being said, after years now of healthy eating, probiotics [sups and food sources], fiber, pure water, green drinks [fresh juiced and powdered], juicing, etc., I would feel better by now but I feel worse.

Perhaps a juice fast of several days or longer? Or perhaps a juice/vegan fast for awhile might be something worth trying? I do need to keep my GB pumping tho, lest it sludge up and stone up even more than it already has. Guess some daily avocados would help with that? And coconut oil/creme?

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks!

There is not as much of a connection as some sites lead people to believe. I think the biggest misconception of this comes from the fact that about 80% of the body's serotonin is produced by the flora. And because serotonin affect things like mood and appetite people try to link the gut function with brain function. The problem here is that gut serotonin has nothing to do with brain function. Gut serotonin cannot cross the blood-brain barrier so the brain generates its own serotonin. There are 18 different serotonin receptors in the body so serotonin does more than affect brain function.

The areas gut health does play a role is in nutrient absorption and the breaking own of hormonal metabolites that could otherwise be reabsorbed adding to the hormonal load, which can affect things like mood.

There could also be some less direct factors such as chronic inflammation in the gut leading to stress on the adrenals, which can adversely affect the thyroid leading to problems with brain function.

The best thing to do is to start with making a list of specific symptoms first for both the gut issues and the brain issues to see what connection there could be if any.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
08-16-2012 05:08 AM
MarciGal Offline

(08-16-2012 05:08 AM)James Wrote:  There could also be some less direct factors such as chronic inflammation in the gut leading to stress on the adrenals, which can adversely affect the thyroid leading to problems with brain function.

Would the GB be involved in this at all? If so, would be be part of the cause of inflammation in the gut or just affected by gut inflammation? Or would that depend on the health of the gallbladder?

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
08-16-2012 08:43 AM
Anderson Offline

"Gut serotonin cannot cross the blood-brain barrier so the brain generates its own serotonin."

This is quite a subject for me to reasearch more.

In the book DMT, The Spirit Molecule by the psychiatrist Rick Strassman, it is written that adrenaline and noradrenaline produced by the adrenal glands cannot cross the blood-brain barrier. That makes me wonder if any dopamine produced by the adrenals can cross this barrier or not.
It's curious that other stuff like DMT has free access to the brain.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2012 11:58 AM by Anderson.)
08-16-2012 10:34 PM