Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
propraponol for speech problems
skye Offline

propraponol for speech problems
Hi James,

My aunt has been prescribed propraponol since she has tremors from hormone stress, which results in speech problems.

The way it has been prescribed is that she takes 1 pill (10mg)
when she needs it and it should last 6 hours. She is planning to use it not more than 2x a week.

She already takes your adrenal tonic, tmg, bitters, magnesium malate and has tried GABA, tyrosine, taurine etc. over the years.

I'm concerned about her taking a pharmaceutical drug, however it will be a miracle for her if it works. In your opinion, are the benefits worth the risks?

Thank you in advance,
skye
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 10:54 AM by skye.)
08-03-2012 10:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jfh Offline

RE: propraponol for speech problems
At one time, and maybe still, propranolol was the concert musicians underground drug of choice. Since it blocks adrenalin from the heart, it eliminates that fight or flight syndrome.

Here's some interesting info from http://www.buzzle.com/articles/natural-s...ckers.html regarding natural substitutes.

Beta blockers block the beta-adregenic agents and the effect of norepinephrine and epinephrine hormones. Norepinephrine and epinephrine are adrenaline hormones that are blocked from binding with the beta receptors on the nerves. The three types of beta receptors in our body, perform different functions and are situated in different areas of the body. They are as follows:

Beta-1: Heart, and kidney
Beta-2: Lungs, liver, uterus, blood vessels and muscles
Beta-3: Fat cells in the body

Mainly, beta blockers block the beta-1 and beta-2 receptors and are usually prescribed for heart-related ailments. These beta blockers are often used for treating abnormal heart rhythm, angina (chest pain), tremor, heart failure, high blood pressure, pheochromocytoma and preventing migraine.

Passion Flower: Passion flower, also known as may pop, is a naturally grown medicinal herb. Passion flower acts as a tranquilizer for the patients suffering from insomnia, anxiety and restlessness. The capsules and tinctures of passion flower are easily available in medical stores. Although, it is an effective relaxer and a good pain reliever, passion flower is non-addictive. It is an effective muscle relaxant and used in many pharmaceuticals as beta blockers. Passion flower tablets or tinctures should not be taken without medical prescription.

Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea, also known as green tea, is a natural beta blocker. Green tea is rich in antioxidants, which neutralize free radicals. Free radicals are those compounds which damage the body cells, increase the aging process, alter DNA and cause cell death. Free radicals are mostly responsible for a number of health-related problems, like cancer and heart failure. Polyphenols are the antioxidants in the green tea, which prevent harm from the free radicals. Chamomile tea is a good beta blocker. It is also available in capsule form and must not be taken, if you are taking some other beta blocker. Medical consultation is necessary for taking chamomile tea or tablets.

L-arginine: L-arginine is an amino acid. Amino acids play an important role in the proper functioning of human body. It is a basic building block of proteins and arginine is one of the many amino acids. Normally, sesame seeds, chocolate and grains are the sources of arginine. L-arginine is a natural beta blocker and is available in form of pills and tablets. Before taking these tablets, consulting your doctor is important.

Pomegranate Juice: Although, pomegranate is a common fruit, its antioxidant property has been researched extensively in the recent years. Some researches in California have also proved that pomegranate juice has more number of antioxidants than green tea and red wine. Therefore, pomegranate juice is now becoming a popular natural beta blocker.

Breathing Exercises: Breathing exercises can help a lot in controlling blood pressure. For breathing exercises, sitting in an upright posture is important. Exhale the air, with the tip of your tongue touching the upper front teeth, until your lungs are empty. Inhale air, while counting five, mentally. Hold your breath, till five counts. Repeat this entire cycle, ten times. This exercise can be done anywhere and is an easy way to decrease anxiety and blood pressure. This is a natural way to help reduce blood pressure and can be done without even consulting a doctor.
08-03-2012 04:03 PM
skye Offline

Thank you so very much jfh, for your detailed answer.

I like the breathing exercise, it's easy for anyone to do.

I still hope for an answer from James when he has time.

Thank you again for your kindness,

skye

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 08:26 PM by skye.)
08-03-2012 08:17 PM
jfh Offline

Yes. James would have an answer far more specific for your aunt. I'm not familiar with hormone problems.

I have used propranolol (Inderal) for stage fright long ago. Worked very well. My mental faculties were intact during the process, so no one could tell.
08-04-2012 12:27 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-03-2012 10:53 AM)skye Wrote:  Hi James,

My aunt has been prescribed propraponol since she has tremors from hormone stress, which results in speech problems.

The way it has been prescribed is that she takes 1 pill (10mg)
when she needs it and it should last 6 hours. She is planning to use it not more than 2x a week.

She already takes your adrenal tonic, tmg, bitters, magnesium malate and has tried GABA, tyrosine, taurine etc. over the years.

I'm concerned about her taking a pharmaceutical drug, however it will be a miracle for her if it works. In your opinion, are the benefits worth the risks?

Thank you in advance,
skye

Propranolol (Inderal) is a beta blocker that does have a number of side effects and interacts with numerous other medications. How risky it would be for her will depend on several factors such what other medications she is on and also of great importance would be her blood pressure.

A friend of mine was on Inderal for years and all of her symptoms were of low blood pressure, which the drug causes. I explained this to her so she went to her doctor who told her the problem was the drug dose was too low and doubled her dose instead. She is really small and maybe weighs 80 pounds. So I told her that the increased dosage would likely kill her especially with her abnormally low blood pressure from the drug. So she talked to three pharmacists that told her the same exact thing. She went out of state to Scripps where the doctor there told her the same thing and took her off the drug completely. Once she was off the drug nearly all her symptoms disappeared.

A big part of the problem is that for every patient a doctor prescribes Inderal for the doctor receives 10,000 frequent flier points from the pharmaceutical company as a bribe, oops I mean "reward".Rolleyes So the drug tends to be way over prescribed.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
08-04-2012 08:22 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-03-2012 04:03 PM)jfh Wrote:  At one time, and maybe still, propranolol was the concert musicians underground drug of choice. Since it blocks adrenalin from the heart, it eliminates that fight or flight syndrome.

Here's some interesting info from http://www.buzzle.com/articles/natural-s...ckers.html regarding natural substitutes.

Beta blockers block the beta-adregenic agents and the effect of norepinephrine and epinephrine hormones. Norepinephrine and epinephrine are adrenaline hormones that are blocked from binding with the beta receptors on the nerves. The three types of beta receptors in our body, perform different functions and are situated in different areas of the body. They are as follows:

Beta-1: Heart, and kidney
Beta-2: Lungs, liver, uterus, blood vessels and muscles
Beta-3: Fat cells in the body

Mainly, beta blockers block the beta-1 and beta-2 receptors and are usually prescribed for heart-related ailments. These beta blockers are often used for treating abnormal heart rhythm, angina (chest pain), tremor, heart failure, high blood pressure, pheochromocytoma and preventing migraine.

Passion Flower: Passion flower, also known as may pop, is a naturally grown medicinal herb. Passion flower acts as a tranquilizer for the patients suffering from insomnia, anxiety and restlessness. The capsules and tinctures of passion flower are easily available in medical stores. Although, it is an effective relaxer and a good pain reliever, passion flower is non-addictive. It is an effective muscle relaxant and used in many pharmaceuticals as beta blockers. Passion flower tablets or tinctures should not be taken without medical prescription.

Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea, also known as green tea, is a natural beta blocker. Green tea is rich in antioxidants, which neutralize free radicals. Free radicals are those compounds which damage the body cells, increase the aging process, alter DNA and cause cell death. Free radicals are mostly responsible for a number of health-related problems, like cancer and heart failure. Polyphenols are the antioxidants in the green tea, which prevent harm from the free radicals. Chamomile tea is a good beta blocker. It is also available in capsule form and must not be taken, if you are taking some other beta blocker. Medical consultation is necessary for taking chamomile tea or tablets.

L-arginine: L-arginine is an amino acid. Amino acids play an important role in the proper functioning of human body. It is a basic building block of proteins and arginine is one of the many amino acids. Normally, sesame seeds, chocolate and grains are the sources of arginine. L-arginine is a natural beta blocker and is available in form of pills and tablets. Before taking these tablets, consulting your doctor is important.

Pomegranate Juice: Although, pomegranate is a common fruit, its antioxidant property has been researched extensively in the recent years. Some researches in California have also proved that pomegranate juice has more number of antioxidants than green tea and red wine. Therefore, pomegranate juice is now becoming a popular natural beta blocker.

Breathing Exercises: Breathing exercises can help a lot in controlling blood pressure. For breathing exercises, sitting in an upright posture is important. Exhale the air, with the tip of your tongue touching the upper front teeth, until your lungs are empty. Inhale air, while counting five, mentally. Hold your breath, till five counts. Repeat this entire cycle, ten times. This exercise can be done anywhere and is an easy way to decrease anxiety and blood pressure. This is a natural way to help reduce blood pressure and can be done without even consulting a doctor.

One thing with the arginine is that it can activate herpes viruses. So it is not a good choice for people prone to herpes outbreaks.

Also not recommended in cases of low blood pressure since it increases nitric oxide decreasing blood pressure.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 08:32 AM by James.)
08-04-2012 08:32 AM
skye Offline

(08-04-2012 12:27 AM)jfh Wrote:  Yes. James would have an answer far more specific for your aunt. I'm not familiar with hormone problems.

I have used propranolol (Inderal) for stage fright long ago. Worked very well. My mental faculties were intact during the process, so no one could tell.

Thank you so much, jfh. Your sharing helps more than you can know. Many good wishes are being sent your way.

Smile

skye

Propranolol (Inderal) is a beta blocker that does have a number of side effects and interacts with numerous other medications. How risky it would be for her will depend on several factors such what other medications she is on and also of great importance would be her blood pressure.

A friend of mine was on Inderal for years and all of her symptoms were of low blood pressure, which the drug causes. I explained this to her so she went to her doctor who told her the problem was the drug dose was too low and doubled her dose instead. She is really small and maybe weighs 80 pounds. So I told her that the increased dosage would likely kill her especially with her abnormally low blood pressure from the drug. So she talked to three pharmacists that told her the same exact thing. She went out of state to Scripps where the doctor there told her the same thing and took her off the drug completely. Once she was off the drug nearly all her symptoms disappeared.

A big part of the problem is that for every patient a doctor prescribes Inderal for the doctor receives 10,000 frequent flier points from the pharmaceutical company as a bribe, oops I mean "reward".Rolleyes So the drug tends to be way over prescribed.

[/quote]

Thank you James. I believe that she isn't on any other medications and mainly uses the supplements I listed in the first post. The warning about low blood pressure is really helpful.

In your opinion, are there any good herbal supplements for propaponol and if yes, do you sell them?

Thank you, your answers on this forum help soooo much!

skye
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 01:16 PM by skye.)
08-04-2012 01:13 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-04-2012 01:13 PM)skye Wrote:  
(08-04-2012 12:27 AM)jfh Wrote:  Yes. James would have an answer far more specific for your aunt. I'm not familiar with hormone problems.

Thank you so much, jfh. Your sharing helps more than you can know. Many good wishes are being sent your way.

Smile

skye

Thanks Skye.

Thank you James. I believe that she isn't on any other medications and mainly uses the supplements I listed in the first post. The warning about low blood pressure is really helpful.

In your opinion, are there any good herbal supplements for propaponol and if yes, do you sell them?

Thank you, your answers on this forum help soooo much!

skye

Has she tried ashwagandha? It is a natural beta blocker.
[/quote]

08-06-2012 05:17 AM
jfh Offline

James, you have said before that ashwagandha is a natural beta blocker. You said it is because it raises GABA levels in the brain, and inhibits epinephrine release. How much would have to be taken for this to be beneficial? If one just wanted to reduce or inhibit epinephrine release, what could be done? In other words, sometimes it is not beneficial to fall asleep.
08-06-2012 08:59 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-06-2012 08:59 AM)jfh Wrote:  James, you have said before that ashwagandha is a natural beta blocker. You said it is because it raises GABA levels in the brain, and inhibits epinephrine release. How much would have to be taken for this to be beneficial? If one just wanted to reduce or inhibit epinephrine release, what could be done? In other words, sometimes it is not beneficial to fall asleep.

Ashwagandha is simply going to calm the mind. It is not going to knock someone out like a narcotic.

What form do you plan to get for her? Powder? Capsules? Standardized?

08-07-2012 03:07 AM
jfh Offline

(08-07-2012 03:07 AM)James Wrote:  Ashwagandha is simply going to calm the mind. It is not going to knock someone out like a narcotic.

I'm not sure what the original poster is going to do, but I'm wondering for myself what would be a beneficial amount of ashwagandha to substitute for a beta blocker, such as propranolol. Something that would block adrenaline from the heart.
08-07-2012 03:06 PM
skye Offline

I don't think she's tried the ashwagandha and she thinks it's not for her, at this time anyway. Thanks so much for all your help.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 03:56 PM by skye.)
08-07-2012 03:55 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-07-2012 03:06 PM)jfh Wrote:  
(08-07-2012 03:07 AM)James Wrote:  Ashwagandha is simply going to calm the mind. It is not going to knock someone out like a narcotic.

I'm not sure what the original poster is going to do, but I'm wondering for myself what would be a beneficial amount of ashwagandha to substitute for a beta blocker, such as propranolol. Something that would block adrenaline from the heart.

Again dosage would depend on the form it is being taken in and whether or not it is standardized or not.

08-10-2012 03:09 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-07-2012 03:55 PM)skye Wrote:  I don't think she's tried the ashwagandha and she thinks it's not for her, at this time anyway. Thanks so much for all your help.

I am not sure what else she could try. Looks like she has covered the bases over the years. Has anything helped at all? Can you be more specific on symptoms?

08-10-2012 03:12 AM