Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help with Alzheimers
mtl777 Offline

Help with Alzheimers
Hi James, my sister is showing signs of what looks like Alzheimers. She is starting to be forgetful (sometimes doesn't know what day it is) and has an obsessive compulsion to ask you to repeat instructions or facts so many times as if she has to be very very sure about them.

Could you please recommend any herbs and supplements that would help her? Are there any foods that she needs to avoid?

BTW what is the cause of Alzheimers?

Thanks in advance for your much appreciated help!
08-02-2012 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Help with Alzheimers
(08-02-2012 03:36 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  Hi James, my sister is showing signs of what looks like Alzheimers. She is starting to be forgetful (sometimes doesn't know what day it is) and has an obsessive compulsion to ask you to repeat instructions or facts so many times as if she has to be very very sure about them.

First thing to keep in mind is that Alzheimer's cannot be diagnosed without an autopsy. So technically this is senile dementia, which can have several causes. The most common cause is pharmaceutical medications. Some other causes include hypothyroidism, decreased cerebral blood flow and elevated serum calcium.

Could you please recommend any herbs and supplements that would help her?

Without more information I can only give you some general recommendations since again there are various things that can be causing this.

For starters though I would recommend a tablespoon of lecithin granules with meals 3 times daily. Lecithin helps to build up brain tissue and the very important neurotransmitter for memory acetylcholine.

The best herb available for improving brain function is periwinkle (Vinca minor), but this can be rather hard to find. Periwinkle increases blood flow to the brain more effectively than any other herb I am aware of. In addition, periwinkle increases glucose and oxygen utilization by the brain cells causing a significant increase in brain ATP levels. These effects are very quick kicking in after about 20 minutes compared to 2 weeks for an herb like ginkgo biloba.

Periwinkle can dry out mucous membranes so it should be taken with herbs that are moisture retentive to prevent drying of the intestines. Seaweeds are my primary choice, but herbs such as slippery elm, marshmallow root or yucca root will also work.

I also like gotu kola a lot since it not only helps to increase blood flow to the brain, but it is also a great source of B vitamins to support the nervous system.

Are there any foods that she needs to avoid?

It would depend on the cause. For example, if thyroid related then highly goitrogenic foods such as flax seed or raw cruciferous vegetables. If serum calcium is elevated then she should avoid high phosphorus foods such as red meats, dairy and colas.

BTW what is the cause of Alzheimers?

There is no clear cut cause. At one point it was thought to be from an accumulation of aluminum in the brain. This has since been disproven. I have heard a few other hypotheses such as calcification or tangling of the brain neurons.

Thanks in advance for your much appreciated help!

You're welcome.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
08-03-2012 05:11 AM
mtl777 Offline

Thank you so much James! Periwinkle seems very good. I'll try to make a formulation using the herbs you mentioned.

How about bacopa? I heard it is good for memory too. Also phosphatidylserene. What do you think of these?

BTW I found periwinkle powder at ForestRX.com. Mountainrose Herbs also has them but they're cut leaves, not powder.

(08-03-2012 05:11 AM)James Wrote:  First thing to keep in mind is that Alzheimer's cannot be diagnosed without an autopsy. So technically this is senile dementia, which can have several causes. The most common cause is pharmaceutical medications. Some other causes include hypothyroidism, decreased cerebral blood flow and elevated serum calcium.

You mean you can only find out if a person has Alzheimer's after the person dies? What are the symptoms of Alzheimer's? Can't you tell that a person has Alzheimer's if he/she has those symptoms?
08-04-2012 01:17 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-04-2012 01:17 AM)mtl777 Wrote:  Thank you so much James! Periwinkle seems very good. I'll try to make a formulation using the herbs you mentioned.

How about bacopa? I heard it is good for memory too. Also phosphatidylserene. What do you think of these?

BTW I found periwinkle powder at ForestRX.com. Mountainrose Herbs also has them but they're cut leaves, not powder.

(08-03-2012 05:11 AM)James Wrote:  First thing to keep in mind is that Alzheimer's cannot be diagnosed without an autopsy. So technically this is senile dementia, which can have several causes. The most common cause is pharmaceutical medications. Some other causes include hypothyroidism, decreased cerebral blood flow and elevated serum calcium.

You mean you can only find out if a person has Alzheimer's after the person dies?

Yes. This is the only way to do a differential diagnosis and to confirm actual Alzheimer's. Unfortunately the term is often associated for any form of senile dementia.

What are the symptoms of Alzheimer's?

There are a number of symptoms and they can vary according to the stage. So I put up a post with details on Alzheimer's:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3302

Can't you tell that a person has Alzheimer's if he/she has those symptoms?

No. Alzheimer's is just one form of dementia and different forms of dementia can share the same symptoms.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 08:45 AM by James.)
08-04-2012 08:44 AM
mtl777 Offline

(08-04-2012 08:44 AM)James Wrote:  There are a number of symptoms and they can vary according to the stage. So I put up a post with details on Alzheimer's:

Thanks James, that's good info on AD! I understand now why it couldn't be diagnosed for certain unless through autopsy.

One thing though. The article says, "Consider taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), sulindac (Clinoril), or indomethacin (Indocin). Statin drugs, a class of medications normally used for high cholesterol, may help lower your risk of AD." I thought you were not in favor of using NSAIDs and statin drugs? And aren't pharmaceutical drugs such as these the most common cause of senile dementia?

I think (will need to confirm this) that my sister is taking statin drugs and BP meds. Are periwinkle, gotu kola, and yucca root safe to take with these drugs?

Lastly, what do you think of bacopa and phosphatidylserene? Are they good for memory too?

Thanks again!
08-04-2012 03:14 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-04-2012 03:14 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  
(08-04-2012 08:44 AM)James Wrote:  There are a number of symptoms and they can vary according to the stage. So I put up a post with details on Alzheimer's:

Thanks James, that's good info on AD! I understand now why it couldn't be diagnosed for certain unless through autopsy.

One thing though. The article says, "Consider taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), sulindac (Clinoril), or indomethacin (Indocin). Statin drugs, a class of medications normally used for high cholesterol, may help lower your risk of AD." I thought you were not in favor of using NSAIDs and statin drugs? And aren't pharmaceutical drugs such as these the most common cause of senile dementia?

The article was good for a general understanding of dementia, but I do disagree with their suggestions to use these drugs.

Statins reduce cholesterol, which is essential to proper brain formation and function as well as circulation to the brain.

NSAIDS are also an issue since they constrict blood vessels reducing blood flow to the brain, which is just the opposite of what needs to be done.

I think (will need to confirm this) that my sister is taking statin drugs and BP meds. Are periwinkle, gotu kola, and yucca root safe to take with these drugs?

Periwinkle may be an issue with some blood pressure medications.

Yucca root also lowers both cholesterol and blood pressure so it could be a problem if either of these drop too low. And I would not take yucca root at the same exact time as any drug since it enhances the absorption of drugs.

Gotu kola would not be a problem since its effects on cholesterol and blood pressure are very minimal.

Lastly, what do you think of bacopa and phosphatidylserene? Are they good for memory too?

Thanks again!

Yes. Bacopa (brahmi, "gotu kola") is excellent for memory as well. I have an earlier post on this:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread....e=threaded

As for phosphatidylserine (PS), yes this is great but I prefer lecithin granules. PS is only one of several beneficial phospholipids in lecithin.

08-06-2012 05:34 AM
mtl777 Offline

Quote:One thing though. The article says, "Consider taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), sulindac (Clinoril), or indomethacin (Indocin). Statin drugs, a class of medications normally used for high cholesterol, may help lower your risk of AD." I thought you were not in favor of using NSAIDs and statin drugs? And aren't pharmaceutical drugs such as these the most common cause of senile dementia?

The article was good for a general understanding of dementia, but I do disagree with their suggestions to use these drugs.

Statins reduce cholesterol, which is essential to proper brain formation and function as well as circulation to the brain.

NSAIDS are also an issue since they constrict blood vessels reducing blood flow to the brain, which is just the opposite of what needs to be done.

Oh, so it was a quote from the articles you researched and not your own.

Quote:Periwinkle may be an issue with some blood pressure medications.

How so? And which BP meds?

Quote:Yucca root also lowers both cholesterol and blood pressure so it could be a problem if either of these drop too low. And I would not take yucca root at the same exact time as any drug since it enhances the absorption of drugs.

Thanks for this tip!

Quote:Bacopa (brahmi, "gotu kola") is excellent for memory as well. I have an earlier post on this:

Amazing that two different herbs are called "gotu kola" and they are both good for memory!

I also heard that coconut oil is good for dementia. True?

And would turmeric help also?

Thanks again!
08-06-2012 03:40 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-06-2012 03:40 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  
Quote:One thing though. The article says, "Consider taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), sulindac (Clinoril), or indomethacin (Indocin). Statin drugs, a class of medications normally used for high cholesterol, may help lower your risk of AD." I thought you were not in favor of using NSAIDs and statin drugs? And aren't pharmaceutical drugs such as these the most common cause of senile dementia?

Oh, so it was a quote from the articles you researched and not your own.

I was referring to the article you were quoting that I had posted earlier.

The information on statins and NSAIDs were not mentioned in the article, but both have been well known for decades. Its just something not mentioned very often since the pharmaceutical companies do not want to scare people away from their dangerous drugs. Same reason that in their commercials they don't mention the real serious and often frequent side effects of their drugs. Or why they make no mention in the PDR that Coumadin (Warfarin) can cause a stroke. Especially since this drug is so often prescribed to prevent stroke.

Quote:Periwinkle may be an issue with some blood pressure medications.

How so? And which BP meds?

Periwinkle has a more complex chemistry than most herbs. So there is less known about how it will interact with other compounds. Therefore, it is an herb that is generally not recommended with any pharmaceutical drugs.

If taken a few hours apart from medications it should not be an issue though.

Quote:Yucca root also lowers both cholesterol and blood pressure so it could be a problem if either of these drop too low. And I would not take yucca root at the same exact time as any drug since it enhances the absorption of drugs.

Thanks for this tip!

Quote:Bacopa (brahmi, "gotu kola") is excellent for memory as well. I have an earlier post on this:

Amazing that two different herbs are called "gotu kola" and they are both good for memory!

I also heard that coconut oil is good for dementia. True?

I can see it helping in cases of hypothyroidism associated dementia since the oil can boost thyroid function.

And would turmeric help also?

Again it all depends on the cause. But turmeric has been shown to help protect the brain from damage and reduce the risk of Alzheimer's:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3347

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3171

Thanks again!

You're welcome.

08-07-2012 03:52 AM
mtl777 Offline

Is garlic bad for the brain? I read something about sulphone hydroxyl ions in garlic that penetrate the blood brain barrier and are a specific poison for brain cells. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!
08-13-2012 03:15 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-13-2012 03:15 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  Is garlic bad for the brain? I read something about sulphone hydroxyl ions in garlic that penetrate the blood brain barrier and are a specific poison for brain cells. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I tried doing a search for this study to see how they came to their conclusion and nothing came up as to that study. These are the studies that did come up in regards to garlic and the brain:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11238807

"AGE may have a role in protecting against loss of brain function in aging and possess other antiaging effects, as suggested by its ability to increase cognitive functions, memory and longevity in a senescence-accelerated mouse model. "

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/3/810S.long

"Preclinical studies in models that are genetically prone to early aging show that AGE has additional anti-aging effects (36,37). Treatment with AGE or SAC prevented the degeneration of the brain's frontal lobe, improved learning and memory retention, and extended life span. Isolated neurons from the hippocampus area, grown in the presence of AGE or SAC, showed an unusual ability to grow and branch, which may be linked to the findings that AGE increases learning and cognition (37). "

08-16-2012 05:18 AM
mtl777 Offline

(08-16-2012 05:18 AM)James Wrote:  I tried doing a search for this study to see how they came to their conclusion and nothing came up as to that study. These are the studies that did come up in regards to garlic and the brain:

"AGE may have a role in protecting against loss of brain function in aging and possess other antiaging effects, as suggested by its ability to increase cognitive functions, memory and longevity in a senescence-accelerated mouse model. "

"Preclinical studies in models that are genetically prone to early aging show that AGE has additional anti-aging effects (36,37). Treatment with AGE or SAC prevented the degeneration of the brain's frontal lobe, improved learning and memory retention, and extended life span. Isolated neurons from the hippocampus area, grown in the presence of AGE or SAC, showed an unusual ability to grow and branch, which may be linked to the findings that AGE increases learning and cognition (37). "

Thanks for researching it James! This is where I read about garlic being bad for the brain. Seemed credible to me because it came from a lecture by Dr. Robert Beck -- if he's the same one who developed the Bob Beck Protocol for cancer. Tongue

The research you mention seems like the benefits only apply if you use AGE. Would ordinary garlic supplements (e.g., garlic oil) have the same benefits or would they be detrimental to brain health?
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2012 04:25 PM by mtl777.)
08-17-2012 04:23 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-17-2012 04:23 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  
(08-16-2012 05:18 AM)James Wrote:  I tried doing a search for this study to see how they came to their conclusion and nothing came up as to that study. These are the studies that did come up in regards to garlic and the brain:

Thanks for researching it James! This is where I read about garlic being bad for the brain. Seemed credible to me because it came from a lecture by Dr. Robert Beck -- if he's the same one who developed the Bob Beck Protocol for cancer. Tongue

The research you mention seems like the benefits only apply if you use AGE. Would ordinary garlic supplements (e.g., garlic oil) have the same benefits or would they be detrimental to brain health?

I have never liked Beck. When he first came out with his treatment device he was just using pretty much a knock off of Rife then calling Rife a quack. The only difference was that once of Rife's main frequencies was 666hz so beck was using .666hz. I don't care for people I consider deceptive.

As for the claims on the site about garlic I believe one bit of it. Especially when he claims that there was no brain activity showing on the EEG after consuming garlic. If that were the case then the person would not be walking, talking or anything else.

08-22-2012 11:21 PM
mtl777 Offline

(08-22-2012 11:21 PM)James Wrote:  I have never liked Beck. When he first came out with his treatment device he was just using pretty much a knock off of Rife then calling Rife a quack. The only difference was that once of Rife's main frequencies was 666hz so beck was using .666hz. I don't care for people I consider deceptive.

Ha-ha! I didn't know that about Beck. Now I'd rather listen to Jeff Beck. Big Grin

There's a big difference between 666 hz and 0.666 hz. They have the same effect?

Quote:As for the claims on the site about garlic I believe one bit of it. Especially when he claims that there was no brain activity showing on the EEG after consuming garlic. If that were the case then the person would not be walking, talking or anything else.

As in DEAD. Big Grin

Thanks James for debunking this claim! I won't be scared of garlic anymore.
08-23-2012 04:55 PM
mtl777 Offline

I read that periwinkle lowers blood pressure. Is it safe to take periwinkle if your blood pressure is normal or a bit on the low side (110/70)? I am concerned about this warning. It says that periwinkle is unsafe.

On the other hand, my wife has hypertension and is taking three meds for this - Lisinopril (an ACE inhibitor), Metoprolol (a beta blocker), and Norvasc (a calcium channel blocker). She is also taking Metformin for type 2 diabetes. Despite her three anti-hypertensive meds, her blood pressure is still high - 155 to 165 systolic. Given this, do you think periwinkle would help her since it lowers blood pressure?

By the way, what kind of periwinkle were you suggesting for memory/brain health - vinca minor or vinca major? I could only find vinca minor. Will that work?

As always, thank you!
08-31-2012 04:05 PM
mtl777 Offline

(08-31-2012 04:05 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  I read that periwinkle lowers blood pressure. Is it safe to take periwinkle if your blood pressure is normal or a bit on the low side (110/70)? I am concerned about this warning. It says that periwinkle is unsafe.

On the other hand, my wife has hypertension and is taking three meds for this - Lisinopril (an ACE inhibitor), Metoprolol (a beta blocker), and Norvasc (a calcium channel blocker). She is also taking Metformin for type 2 diabetes. Despite her three anti-hypertensive meds, her blood pressure is still high - 155 to 165 systolic. Given this, do you think periwinkle would help her since it lowers blood pressure?

By the way, what kind of periwinkle were you suggesting for memory/brain health - vinca minor or vinca major? I could only find vinca minor. Will that work?

As always, thank you!

Hi James, you seem to be very busy. Have you finished your book on cancer yet?

I hope you would be able to find time to answer my above question. I know you already said that periwinkle is generally not recommended to be used with pharmaceutical drugs, but in the light of what I newly read that it lowers blood pressure, I'm wondering if it could actually be of help when the pharmaceutical drugs are still not enough and the patient's BP is still high despite taking them.

BTW, what are the bad effects if your cholesterol level is too high? Also, what are the bad effects if it is too low? Sorry for interjecting this out-of-topic question here. I just thought it might save me time by not having to open a new thread. Wink

Thank you so much again! I really appreciate your help and all the great info I have learned from you!
09-16-2012 12:30 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-23-2012 04:55 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  
(08-22-2012 11:21 PM)James Wrote:  I have never liked Beck. When he first came out with his treatment device he was just using pretty much a knock off of Rife then calling Rife a quack. The only difference was that once of Rife's main frequencies was 666hz so beck was using .666hz. I don't care for people I consider deceptive.

Ha-ha! I didn't know that about Beck. Now I'd rather listen to Jeff Beck. Big Grin

There's a big difference between 666 hz and 0.666 hz. They have the same effect?

I doubt it. Rife only kept three frequencies, not hundreds as some claim. There is a relationship between those three frequencies and our primary frequency. So there was a basis behind Rife's frequencies that he did not even understand. Just because Beck decided to alter the frequency by moving over the decimal point does not mean the frequency will correlate with the other frequencies. In addition, the higher frequencies have more penetrating power than low frequencies by reducing resistance. So Beck's choice of .666hz is rather ridiculous to begin with since it will not penetrate very far in to the tissues. If he is lucky it may pass across the epidermis at least.

Quote:As for the claims on the site about garlic I believe one bit of it. Especially when he claims that there was no brain activity showing on the EEG after consuming garlic. If that were the case then the person would not be walking, talking or anything else.

As in DEAD. Big Grin

Exactly.

Thanks James for debunking this claim! I won't be scared of garlic anymore.

You're welcome.

09-20-2012 10:49 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-31-2012 04:05 PM)mtl777 Wrote:  I read that periwinkle lowers blood pressure. Is it safe to take periwinkle if your blood pressure is normal or a bit on the low side (110/70)? I am concerned about this warning. It says that periwinkle is unsafe.

Anything can be "unsafe". Even water will kill you if you ingest too much. But I have never seen any reported deaths or injuries for that matter using periwinkle (V. minor). The real dangerous periwinkle is the Madagascar periwinkle they make reference to, which is the source for the chemotherapy drugs vincristine and vinblastine.

One of the problems with sites like WebMD is that they rely on studies that they do not check if they done or interpreted correctly. Most of these studies are done on animals that do not relate on humans and since most are toxicity studies they are done with excessive amounts to see what the adverse effects are of these excessive doses, not at therapeutic doses.

Its like the study I mentioned in the past about where they claimed chromium picolinate caused cancer. If you read the actual study they gave the rats 6,000 times the equivalent normal dose that would be given to humans. Using that same criteria we can conclude that all pharmaceutical drugs are 100% fatal since a dose of 6,000 times more than normal of any drug would be lethal. For that matter we could claim that water is deadly since 6,000 times the normal level is 100% lethal.

Here is a better link on periwinkle, including its chemistry. Note that they also point out no cases of poisoning ever being reported:

http://rainforest-database.com/plants/periwinkle.htm

Of more interest though WebMD claims vomiting is a side effect of periwinkle overdose as where this site claims you have to induce vomiting to treat excessive intake. Personally I would go with the Rainforest site being that periwinkle dries up the mucous membranes, which would make it pretty hard to vomit.

So will it lower blood pressure? Yes. Periwinkle is a vasodilator, which is why it is used to help enhance memory. Its effect is mainly on the blood vessels in the head area increasing blood flow to the brain. It also helps increase oxygen and glucose utilization by the brain. Because it dilates blood vessels does this mean it is dangerous? Not necessarily. Many things lower blood pressure such as potassium, magnesium or sterols in food. We ingest these things all the time yet we still somehow manage to survive and be healthy.

At least at one point they do state that taking large amounts can cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure. But we can say the same thing about all the blood pressure medications on the market. So by their same advice these should not be taken. Luckily, we do not need large amounts of periwinkle to get the beneficial effects.

It can, but there are better choices that will not dry up the intestinal secretions. Ashwagandha is a natural beta blocker and ACE inhibitor. magnesium malate is a natural calcium channel blocker. And there are various sterol sources to relax the blood vessels like jiaogulan. Jiaogulan also acts like a natural beta blocker. But the focus should be primarily on addressing the diabetes since the elevated insulin levels in type 2 diabetes commonly raises blood pressure.

Have you ever taken a look at our Sugar Balance formula? Here is a link to the old write up:

http://mountainmistbotanicals.com/formulas/sugar.htm

I have to update it since I updated the formulas when I went to capsules. For example, in the new formula I also added an amylase inhibitor to block the breakdown of starches.

Vinca minor and Vinca major have the same properties. But what is normally sold in the stores in V. minor.

As always, thank you!

You're welcome.

09-20-2012 09:22 PM
James Offline
Administrator

Hi James, you seem to be very busy. Have you finished your book on cancer yet?

Nah, still a long way to go. Referencing everything heavily is very time consuming.

I hope you would be able to find time to answer my above question. I know you already said that periwinkle is generally not recommended to be used with pharmaceutical drugs, but in the light of what I newly read that it lowers blood pressure, I'm wondering if it could actually be of help when the pharmaceutical drugs are still not enough and the patient's BP is still high despite taking them.

I posted an answer in the last post.

BTW, what are the bad effects if your cholesterol level is too high?

None. The high cholesterol causing heart disease is an already disproven myth.

Also, what are the bad effects if it is too low?

Heart attack, stroke, dementia, depression, bone loss, etc.

Sorry for interjecting this out-of-topic question here. I just thought it might save me time by not having to open a new thread. Wink

No problem.

Thank you so much again! I really appreciate your help and all the great info I have learned from you!

You're welcome.

[/quote]

09-20-2012 09:28 PM
mtl777 Offline

Hi James, thank you so much! I have been very busy too and have not had time to get back to this thread until now.

(09-20-2012 09:22 PM)James Wrote:  Anything can be "unsafe". Even water will kill you if you ingest too much. But I have never seen any reported deaths or injuries for that matter using periwinkle (V. minor).

That's good to know!

Quote:The real dangerous periwinkle is the Madagascar periwinkle they make reference to, which is the source for the chemotherapy drugs vincristine and vinblastine.

I read of some people trying to use this to get high!

Quote:One of the problems with sites like WebMD is that they rely on studies that they do not check if they done or interpreted correctly. Most of these studies are done on animals that do not relate on humans and since most are toxicity studies they are done with excessive amounts to see what the adverse effects are of these excessive doses, not at therapeutic doses.

Its like the study I mentioned in the past about where they claimed chromium picolinate caused cancer. If you read the actual study they gave the rats 6,000 times the equivalent normal dose that would be given to humans. Using that same criteria we can conclude that all pharmaceutical drugs are 100% fatal since a dose of 6,000 times more than normal of any drug would be lethal. For that matter we could claim that water is deadly since 6,000 times the normal level is 100% lethal.

Yeah, it seems like those sites or "studies" are just intended to discredit herbs or anything that's not in line with mainstream medicine. Trying to put the fear of herbs in people's minds. They must be funded by Big Pharma.

Quote:Here is a better link on periwinkle, including its chemistry. Note that they also point out no cases of poisoning ever being reported:

http://rainforest-database.com/plants/periwinkle.htm

Great info. Thank you!

Quote:Of more interest though WebMD claims vomiting is a side effect of periwinkle overdose as where this site claims you have to induce vomiting to treat excessive intake. Personally I would go with the Rainforest site being that periwinkle dries up the mucous membranes, which would make it pretty hard to vomit.

WebMD couldn't even get their facts right!

Quote:So will it lower blood pressure? Yes. Periwinkle is a vasodilator, which is why it is used to help enhance memory. Its effect is mainly on the blood vessels in the head area increasing blood flow to the brain. It also helps increase oxygen and glucose utilization by the brain. Because it dilates blood vessels does this mean it is dangerous? Not necessarily. Many things lower blood pressure such as potassium, magnesium or sterols in food. We ingest these things all the time yet we still somehow manage to survive and be healthy.

Good to know!

Quote:On the other hand, my wife has hypertension and is taking three meds for this - Lisinopril (an ACE inhibitor), Metoprolol (a beta blocker), and Norvasc (a calcium channel blocker). She is also taking Metformin for type 2 diabetes. Despite her three anti-hypertensive meds, her blood pressure is still high - 155 to 165 systolic. Given this, do you think periwinkle would help her since it lowers blood pressure?

It can, but there are better choices that will not dry up the intestinal secretions. Ashwagandha is a natural beta blocker and ACE inhibitor. magnesium malate is a natural calcium channel blocker. And there are various sterol sources to relax the blood vessels like jiaogulan. Jiaogulan also acts like a natural beta blocker. But the focus should be primarily on addressing the diabetes since the elevated insulin levels in type 2 diabetes commonly raises blood pressure.

Have you ever taken a look at our Sugar Balance formula? Here is a link to the old write up:

http://mountainmistbotanicals.com/formulas/sugar.htm

I have to update it since I updated the formulas when I went to capsules. For example, in the new formula I also added an amylase inhibitor to block the breakdown of starches.

Thank you for this great info on natural alternatives for cardiovascular health! And your Sugar Balance formula looks good!

Yeah, that's probably the reason why my wife's BP remains high despite all her meds. Time to think outside the box and address something that's not so obvious -- her diabetes!

Quote:BTW, what are the bad effects if your cholesterol level is too high?

None. The high cholesterol causing heart disease is an already disproven myth.

Yes, I read your article on this. But I'm thinking more in terms of the fact that too much of anything is bad. So there must be some bad effect (not heart disease) if you have too much cholesterol. What might it be?

Quote:Also, what are the bad effects if it is too low?

Heart attack, stroke, dementia, depression, bone loss, etc.

Wow, it's even the reverse! I suspect the reason why doctors prescribe a lot of meds for the heart together with statin drugs is because they may actually know that lowering cholesterol with statins increases the risk of heart disease! It's so criminal -- giving a worthless drug that actually increases the risk of heart disease and other problems, then giving more drugs to try to counter that bad effect -- just to make money off of hapless patients!

We sure are lucky to find someone like you who gives us the real score about this. Thank you!
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 01:53 AM by mtl777.)
10-03-2012 01:12 AM