Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to make the correct diagnosis?
Hypo Offline

How to make the correct diagnosis?
A rather basis question:
I am in doubt whether I have celiac disease, (merely) gluten sensitivity, or possibly neither. How can I make a correct diagnosis?

I seem to do and feel better on a no-gluten diet, but I don't have many of the classic celiac disease symptoms (like stomach cramps or gas problems).
Of course I would prefer following a zero-gluten diet for the rest of my life only if absolutely necessary..

Thanks for any insights.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2012 05:42 PM by Hypo.)
07-27-2012 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: How to make the correct diagnosis?
(07-27-2012 12:54 PM)Hypo Wrote:  A rather basis question:
I am in doubt whether I have celiac disease, (merely) gluten sensitivity, or possibly neither. How can I make a correct diagnosis?

I seem to do and feel better on a no-gluten diet, but I don't have many of the classic celiac disease symptoms (like stomach cramps or gas problems).
Of course I would prefer following a zero-gluten diet for the rest of my life only if absolutely necessary..

Thanks for any insights.

The difference between celiac and gluten intolerance is that celiac is an autoimmune disorder. Autoimmune disorders result in tissue destruction by from the tagging of healthy tissues by antibodies that "flag" the tissues for destruction by white blood cells. In this case the tissues destroyed are the villi of the small intestine.

A gluten intolerance can cause symptoms such as pain and brain fog in response to gluten, but does not cause the autoimmune damage to the small intestine. Symptoms of a gluten tolerance can be extremely mild to severe depending on the individual.

A diagnosis can be made with antibody tests, although I don't find antibody tests very accurate. And a differential diagnosis of of celiac would require an intestinal biopsy.

I just put of some good links with more specific details on the tests in this forum.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-28-2012 01:56 AM
Hypo Offline

Great information, thanks.

1) Do I understand correctly that there is no conclusive way to diagnose 'gluten sensitivity? And that the best way to find out is to just perform a 'trial and error'-diet?

2) Can gluten sensitivity be 'completely cured' by strengthening the adrenals? Or does gluten sensitivity (like celiac disease) essentially require following a life-long 100% gluten free diet..?
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2012 04:21 AM by Hypo.)
07-28-2012 04:20 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-28-2012 04:20 AM)Hypo Wrote:  Great information, thanks.

1) Do I understand correctly that there is no conclusive way to diagnose 'gluten sensitivity? And that the best way to find out is to just perform a 'trial and error'-diet?

Antibody tests can indicate a sensitivity, but antibody tests are not even close to being accurate. So these are not conclusive to a gluten sensitivity.

An elimination diet would be a better indicator.

2) Can gluten sensitivity be 'completely cured' by strengthening the adrenals? Or does gluten sensitivity (like celiac disease) essentially require following a life-long 100% gluten free diet..?

There is a big difference between celiac and a gluten intolerance. In part celiac is thought to have a hereditary component. Sensitivities on the other hand can come and go. And yes, building up the adrenals is the best way to eliminate sensitivities.

07-30-2012 07:11 PM
Anderson Offline

Can low stomach acidity also cause gluten intolerance?
08-08-2012 11:49 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(08-08-2012 11:49 PM)Anderson Wrote:  Can low stomach acidity also cause gluten intolerance?

I would say yes since incompletely digested proteins are strong antigens. And low stomach acidity does interfere with the proper digestion of proteins.

08-10-2012 02:59 AM