Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
blenders vs juicers
vills Offline

blenders vs juicers
Hi James,

I've been looking into getting myself a blender instead of using my juicer so as to obtain the fiber and cause i'm sick (ok so i'm lazy but i have my CFS as an excuse!)of trying to peel and cut into small pieces and spending ages at my juicing machine.

I've been looking into blenders as an alternative and looking at ebay for the older Vitamix blenders (with metal casing instead of plastic). Unfortunately, shipping to where i live will add another $100 to the cost. But i'll pay it if it's worth it. So here is my question:

Will a normal blender do for blending vegetables? What is the benefit/s with a vitamix eg 3600 plus blender over a normal (glass container) blender in terms of functionality and nutritional value. Is it wise to also blend cooked veges? Otherwise it's back to juicing for me...ahhh the thought makes me scringe.
07-23-2012 04:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: blenders vs juicers
(07-23-2012 04:50 PM)vills Wrote:  Hi James,

I've been looking into getting myself a blender instead of using my juicer so as to obtain the fiber and cause i'm sick (ok so i'm lazy but i have my CFS as an excuse!)of trying to peel and cut into small pieces and spending ages at my juicing machine.

I've been looking into blenders as an alternative and looking at ebay for the older Vitamix blenders (with metal casing instead of plastic). Unfortunately, shipping to where i live will add another $100 to the cost. But i'll pay it if it's worth it. So here is my question:

Will a normal blender do for blending vegetables? What is the benefit/s with a vitamix eg 3600 plus blender over a normal (glass container) blender in terms of functionality and nutritional value. Is it wise to also blend cooked veges? Otherwise it's back to juicing for me...ahhh the thought makes me scringe.

The real difference is the power behind the blenders. A Vitamix is like a regular blender on steroids. So they can break down the fibers in the plants much finer than a conventional blender.

Whether or not a Vitamix would be right for you will depend on what you are juicing. For most things a regular blender will work fine. Such as for berries, fruits and greens. If trying to grind heavily fibrous compounds such as celery then the blender may not work very well.

If you do go with a Vitamix you are right to look for the old stainless steel models. Many of the new polycarbonate models leach out the carcinogen bisphenol A (BPA).

Also, I don't know where you live. But if you buy from U.S. Ebay you can look for a shipper who will ship at actual cost. A Vitamix would fit in a flat rate box. If they can get it in to a medium flat rate it is only $48 to ship worldwide and $61 for a large flat rate box. Of course that will not include Customs duties or VAT if they apply to your country.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-26-2012 04:27 AM
vills Offline

OMG...those good condition 3600s are going for $200 on ebay (especially the 3600 plus) at the moment!, they're selling like hot cakes and the ones that don't ship overseas are cheaper Sad I've been quoted average $90 shipping. I want to use it to blend everything ie make soups out of most cooked foods including cooked meat, steamed veges etc and keep in containers and eat away. And to make raw vege juices with the fibre. Just sounds like a simple way to ensure that i get the nutrients and food i need without the hassles of cooking every day and juicing. A container for each day!

I'll keep looking, they look so sturdy and amazing. I have Vitamix juicer i bought a few years ago and it's a killer machine, very heavy duty but the plastic is beginning to show wear and tear and i can't be bothered juicing i feel guilty throwing that fibre, prefer to have it in my juice.

I'll keep looking on ebay, thanks for that! Got the idea from one of your old forums on juicing. By the way i love the way ozonating my veges makes them bounce back to life!
07-26-2012 05:36 PM
skye Offline

(07-26-2012 05:36 PM)vills Wrote:  OMG...those good condition 3600s are going for $200 on ebay (especially the 3600 plus) at the moment!, they're selling like hot cakes and the ones that don't ship overseas are cheaper Sad I've been quoted average $90 shipping. I want to use it to blend everything ie make soups out of most cooked foods including cooked meat, steamed veges etc and keep in containers and eat away. And to make raw vege juices with the fibre. Just sounds like a simple way to ensure that i get the nutrients and food i need without the hassles of cooking every day and juicing. A container for each day!

I'll keep looking, they look so sturdy and amazing. I have Vitamix juicer i bought a few years ago and it's a killer machine, very heavy duty but the plastic is beginning to show wear and tear and i can't be bothered juicing i feel guilty throwing that fibre, prefer to have it in my juice.

I'll keep looking on ebay, thanks for that! Got the idea from one of your old forums on juicing. By the way i love the way ozonating my veges makes them bounce back to life!

I hope you find one ... the Vitamix is one of the best purchases I ever made. It's just so easy to use ... and fast, and easy to clean.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2012 09:13 PM by skye.)
07-26-2012 08:44 PM
vills Offline

Hey there, which one do you have in your lucky possession, do pray tell how have you been using it? eg Have you ever used it to juice veges? if so what was the consistency like? (watery, thick, very thick) I'm thinking it would be nice to make juices, vege smoothies and mushing up veges and cut up meat for soups, cause i just can't find the strength to juice (via a labour intensive juicer, which i just used an hour ago and it took about an hour to cut up and juice as it's one those cold press types) and to cut up veges for soups...ahhh could the vitamix by my answer to my laziness? lol
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2012 02:13 AM by vills.)
07-27-2012 02:10 AM
skye Offline

I have the 5200. I use it mainly for fruit smoothies because that is what I love. If you go to the Vitamix website, they have lots of videos and recipes. I've done juicing before and I'm like you, I find it way too much work and too much waste. The one thing I still use a juicer for is oranges but I have a special citrus juicer for that, so it's easy. Someday I want to get a Champion for nut butters. To cut up vegetables, I have one of those slicer tools that you use by hand, I forget what it's called.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2012 06:35 AM by skye.)
07-27-2012 06:34 AM
vills Offline

(07-27-2012 06:34 AM)skye Wrote:  I have the 5200. I use it mainly for fruit smoothies because that is what I love. If you go to the Vitamix website, they have lots of videos and recipes. I've done juicing before and I'm like you, I find it way too much work and too much waste. The one thing I still use a juicer for is oranges but I have a special citrus juicer for that, so it's easy. Someday I want to get a Champion for nut butters. To cut up vegetables, I have one of those slicer tools that you use by hand, I forget what it's called.

sounds like you're all set up! I'm hoping to get to that stage also, no excuses for eating healthier then. Think main issue in modern times with trying to eat healthier is the work and time involved, especially when one is already ill and fatigued. Thanks for your input! Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2012 05:29 PM by vills.)
07-27-2012 05:28 PM