Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DMT
Anderson Offline

DMT
Hello James!

I was reading one of your olds posts at "Truth in medicine" and I came across a post where a Brazilian person asks you about your opinion on a formula which included many herbs.

This was one of your comments:

11. angico – anadenanthera peregrina – calcium tree or yopo- Yopo is a hallucinogenic containing DMT and relatives. Avoid.

I had learned that DMT is not active when taken through the stomach due to an enzyme called MAO. The only way to make DMT "work" is to also take a MAO inhibitor like in the case of the South American beverage Ayahuaska. They put together two plants, one has DMT and the other one has MAO inhibitor.
07-23-2012 06:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: DMT
(07-23-2012 06:54 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Hello James!

I was reading one of your olds posts at "Truth in medicine" and I came across a post where a Brazilian person asks you about your opinion on a formula which included many herbs.

This was one of your comments:

11. angico – anadenanthera peregrina – calcium tree or yopo- Yopo is a hallucinogenic containing DMT and relatives. Avoid.

I had learned that DMT is not active when taken through the stomach due to an enzyme called MAO. The only way to make DMT "work" is to also take a MAO inhibitor like in the case of the South American beverage Ayahuaska. They put together two plants, one has DMT and the other one has MAO inhibitor.

Yes, DMT is degraded by MAO when ingested orally. The problem is that not only are some people on pharmaceutical monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), but we also ingest many MAOIs in our general diet or in other commonly used herbs. For example, nutmeg that we may use for flavoring. Or the herbs ginkgo biloba, passion flower, ginseng, St. Johnswort, licorice root, etc. Coffee and tobacco are also MAOIs as are some other substances. The list is actually quite long so it would be impossible for people to find and check the list of MAOIs before taking DMT sources. Therefore, it is much better just to avoid it.

Ayahuasca is a mixture of plants brewed together to form the hallucinogenic compound. Some of the plants contain beta-carbolines that are MAOIs.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-27-2012 12:41 AM
Anderson Offline

Thanks!

Really interesting information.

I started to wonder now if DMT can work as a methyl donor?

And also: can it be that if you have low stomach acidity you also have lowered or inhibited MAO?
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2012 06:45 AM by Anderson.)
07-27-2012 06:44 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-27-2012 06:44 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Thanks!

Really interesting information.

I started to wonder now if DMT can work as a methyl donor?

DMT does contain two methyl groups, but I have never seen any evidence that these methyl groups are given up in any way. This it would not be a methyl donor.

And also: can it be that if you have low stomach acidity you also have lowered or inhibited MAO?

I have never seen any connection. If anything though I would suspect more of a connection between diamine oxidase (DAO) and stomach acid due to DAO's metabolizing effects on histamine.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-28-2012 02:48 AM