Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sage as a Sexual Depressant
Gen129 Offline

Sage as a Sexual Depressant
Hi James.

Going through my health books I noticed that there are some herbs that act as sexual depressants/anaphrodisiacs. Sage in particular peaked my interest because of its many benefits, as you yourself have written/posted about. So I bought some Sage and began making tea, within the last week I have been drinking a lot of it (5-6 cups daily). I also have been eating some sparingly that I found at my favorite health food store. This has pretty much brought my libido to zero. This was and is one of my intentions of why I was drinking the tea in the first place, however I wanted for you to explain to me how Sage acts on libido. I am a male and have seen things on the internet about Sage and estrogen. Does Sage simply contain phyotoestrogens and work on libido through another mechanism? or does the Sage actually increase my body's own production of estrogen, thereby reducing libido?

Thanks in advance.
07-15-2012 02:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eoeoe69 Offline

RE: Sage as a Sexual Depressant
interesting, then maybe could help to sex addicts Smile

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

J.H
07-15-2012 04:34 PM
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Sage as a Sexual Depressant
(07-15-2012 02:16 PM)Gen129 Wrote:  Hi James.

Going through my health books I noticed that there are some herbs that act as sexual depressants/anaphrodisiacs. Sage in particular peaked my interest because of its many benefits, as you yourself have written/posted about. So I bought some Sage and began making tea, within the last week I have been drinking a lot of it (5-6 cups daily). I also have been eating some sparingly that I found at my favorite health food store. This has pretty much brought my libido to zero. This was and is one of my intentions of why I was drinking the tea in the first place, however I wanted for you to explain to me how Sage acts on libido. I am a male and have seen things on the internet about Sage and estrogen. Does Sage simply contain phyotoestrogens and work on libido through another mechanism? or does the Sage actually increase my body's own production of estrogen, thereby reducing libido?

Thanks in advance.

How sage reduces libido is not known. It would not have anything to do with estrogen though since estrogen does not reduce libido. Estrogen actually enhances receptivity. In fact, there are a number of herbs with stronger phytoestrogens than in sage leaf and they do not suppress the libido.

The only sex hormone that reduces libido is progesterone. This is why the herb vitex is also known as chaste tree berry because it can suppress the libido. It does this by increasing progesterone.

I would suspect that the sage either has an effect on progesterone receptors or affects serotonin levels. If it were raising progesterone itself then there would be other effects opposite of those sage produces. Most likely it is is effecting serotonin levels, which can also help explain some of its antidepressant effects. But high serotonin levels kill the libido.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-17-2012 11:38 PM