Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what is PMDD? there are solution?
eoeoe69 Offline

what is PMDD? there are solution?
I met a woman who says she have PMDD, i've read thet it is Premenstrual dysphoric disorder, it is an hormonal issue?

i see people saying is because an excesss of copper, but others says vitex may help

i would love to know your opinion and wisdom

thanks a lot

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

J.H
07-14-2012 10:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: what is PMDD? there are solution?
(07-14-2012 10:11 AM)eoeoe69 Wrote:  I met a woman who says she have PMDD, i've read thet it is Premenstrual dysphoric disorder, it is an hormonal issue?

i see people saying is because an excesss of copper, but others says vitex may help

i would love to know your opinion and wisdom

thanks a lot

PMDD is actually a form of major depression in women associated with the menstrual cycle. To be diagnosed with PMDD though the woman must develop at least 5 symptoms of a list of 11 symptoms during their luteal phase. Again these must develop at this time, but not be a pre-existing symptoms that merely gets amplified. I found a list of the symptoms:

http://pmdd.factsforhealth.org/what/symptoms.asp

Symptoms disappear with the onset of menses.

There is no clear cause of PMDD, which is most likely due to the fact that this is more like a syndrome (a group of symptoms) and those symptoms can have different causes. In fact, various unrelated treatments have been used for PMDD ranging from selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) to calcium carbonate.

Hormonal therapies have also been used, but again there is no consensus on what hormones may be causing the symptoms. Some doctors use estrogens, some progesterone and some both. Problem here is that both excess estrogen and excess progesterone cause depression and can cause some of the other symptoms described. Making matters worse is that I have not seen any research looking at the rise of prolactin during the luteal phase. Prolactin can be a depressant.

If we break down the symptoms of PMDD we would find that no one thing fits all the symptoms. Depression could be from a number of things including the low serotonin or high prolactin, estrogen or progesterone. Increased emotional sensitivity can indicate a surge in estrogen. But the increased irritability and aggression indicates a surge in progesterone. Increased cravings for food could be from low serotonin, or from lowered dopamine by the increase in prolactin. The bloating is indicative of elevated progesterone and the weight gain can be from a rise in either estrogen, progesterone or prolactin.

Being that there is no single cause of PMDD there is no single treatment.

Balancing the hormones rather than trying to force them up or down would be a good start though in addressing many of the symptoms. I have a write up on balancing the hormones:

http://medcapsules.com/info/Hormone_Balance.htm

Supplementing with the amino acid tyrosine will raise dopamine, which will also suppress prolactin levels. Tyrosine is best taken on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before meals.

For low serotonin the supplement 5-HTP can be taken on an empty stomach again at least 30 minutes before meals to elevate serotonin.

Nutritionally the supplements that I would recommend focusing on primarily are the B vitamins and magnesium malate or citrate.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-15-2012 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply