Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tendency to Elevated Iron
Whitey Offline

Tendency to Elevated Iron
My SF [serum ferritin] was 209, then I had a unit of blood taken and it came down to 153, then I had a 1/2 unit taken and it came down to 115, and that was about 6 months ago. I just had more blood work but it's not SF, it's SI [serum iron] which I presume is the same as SF, and it's up to 146.

Iron Binding Cap [TIBC] 330 ug/dl (250-450)
UIBC 184 ug/dl (150-375)

Iron, Serum 146 ug/dl (40-155)

I'm thinking that I need to quit eating grass fed beef. I also have eaten a lot of pumpkin seeds lately but P seeds don't have Heme iron, but red meat does.

I hate to keep asking MDs to take blood. I'd like to get the iron down to under 100 via diet. Any advice on this? Thank you.
07-13-2012 04:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Tendency to Elevated Iron
(07-13-2012 04:22 PM)Whitey Wrote:  My SF [serum ferritin] was 209, then I had a unit of blood taken and it came down to 153, then I had a 1/2 unit taken and it came down to 115, and that was about 6 months ago. I just had more blood work but it's not SF, it's SI [serum iron] which I presume is the same as SF, and it's up to 146.

Iron Binding Cap [TIBC] 330 ug/dl (250-450)
UIBC 184 ug/dl (150-375)

Iron, Serum 146 ug/dl (40-155)

I'm thinking that I need to quit eating grass fed beef. I also have eaten a lot of pumpkin seeds lately but P seeds don't have Heme iron, but red meat does.

I hate to keep asking MDs to take blood. I'd like to get the iron down to under 100 via diet. Any advice on this? Thank you.

Cutting out the meat will help a lot. Heme iron is absorbed a lot easier than plant irons.

Plants can actually contain a variety of things that can reduce iron absorption such as phytates and oxalic acid.

Avoid alcohol and vitamin C around iron sources since these enhance iron absorption.

Calcium and chromium both block iron absorption.

Alpha lipoic acid removes iron from the body. And you can buy phytic acid, sold as inositol hexaphosphate (IP6), as a supplement to remove dangerous free iron in the system.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-13-2012 11:31 PM
Whitey Offline

Very interesting. Thank you.

Do you think high quality poultry, low Mercury fish, and free range eggs are OK as protein sources?
07-14-2012 06:15 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-14-2012 06:15 AM)Whitey Wrote:  Very interesting. Thank you.

Do you think high quality poultry, low Mercury fish, and free range eggs are OK as protein sources?

Yes, they will work and they are not as high in iron as beef.

You can also get protein from various other sources. Pollen for example has more protein than any of the sources you just mentioned and has a complete amino acid profile. Chlorella has about 2 times more protein than pollen, and spirulina has around 3 times more protein. Legumes are also great sources of protein as does nettle leaf or alfalfa herb.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-14-2012 09:44 PM