Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is Popcorn A Bad Habit?
Whitey Offline

Is Popcorn A Bad Habit?
Lately I've been eating 2 big bowls of air popped organic popcorn almost every day, with 3-4 TBS of coconut oil, sea salt, and nutritional yeast on it. Do you consider this a healthy thing to do or should I back off from doing this?
07-12-2012 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Is Popcorn A Bad Habit?
(07-12-2012 03:41 PM)Whitey Wrote:  Lately I've been eating 2 big bowls of air popped organic popcorn almost every day, with 3-4 TBS of coconut oil, sea salt, and nutritional yeast on it. Do you consider this a healthy thing to do or should I back off from doing this?

Popcorn is actually a good source of fiber. Not all that nutritious otherwise, but not really harmful either. It is what is added to the popcorn that makes it healthier or less healthy. What you are adding is nutritious and will make the popcorn healthier. If people want to eat popcorn with the fake butter sold in theaters or caramel coated popcorn then the popcorn is not going to be healthy.

One thing I would suggest though is to switch from the sea salt to a mined trace element salt such as Real Salt. Many sea salts are refined, and if they are not refined you have to deal with the pollutants. The mined salts are not refined and cleaner. The colors come from other beneficial minerals in the salts.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-13-2012 04:46 AM
Whitey Offline

RE: Is Popcorn A Bad Habit?
I was talking to a man that sells bagged popcorn at a farmers market. He says he uses sunflower oil, buys it for $30 for 5 gallons. It's a shame that he doesn't use coconut oil but he's probably thinks sunflower oil is "heart healthy" when it actually could turn into a trans fat in the making of his popcorn.
07-13-2012 12:26 PM