• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Checking to see if I'm on the right track with trying to boost adrenals
j226 Offline

Checking to see if I'm on the right track with trying to boost adrenals
Hi James,

My symptoms are:
-I intermittently go through periods of extreme fatigue / anxiousness
-Mild swelling in my hands / feet with occasional joint and muscle pain
-Strange autoimmune skin problems which are worse later in the day and seem to be agitated by several supplements like resveratrol, 5-htp, turmeric, and possibly more. It's not as bad on weekends when I get enough sleep.
-Some pin sized blood spots that might be petechiae but I don't have a low pallet count.
-Alcohol intolerance that came out of nowhere
-Magnesium deficiency

The symptoms mostly came out a year ago after making the mistake of trying fasting for a week which I understand now can weaken the adrenals. Also, I was drinking a lot of Stash licorice root tea which I doubt is Chinese LR, after stopping the symptoms drastically decreased. The most helpful thing has been slowly testing supplements since I have several sensitivities.

Pau d'arco seems to have helped a little and there was possible herx reaction for a few days. I was feeling better than ever for a few weeks while on Amla w/ 20% spirulina. After switching to another pure amla product it wasn't working nearly as well. I tried stopping vitamin C all together and my symptoms suddenly got worse than they've been in a while. I started on acerola powder yesterday and feel slightly better already.

I'm possibly sensitive to bee pollen / nettle although the symptoms might just be from stopping vit C. Would synthetic pantothenic acid be a good alternative for now?

If the acerola works out I do have jiaogulan, ashwagandha, chaparral, and water ozonator to possibly try next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 12:46 PM by j226.)
07-12-2012 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Checking to see if I'm on the right track with trying to boost adrenals
(07-12-2012 12:42 PM)j226 Wrote:  Hi James,

My symptoms are:
-I intermittently go through periods of extreme fatigue / anxiousness
-Mild swelling in my hands / feet with occasional joint and muscle pain
-Strange autoimmune skin problems which are worse later in the day and seem to be agitated by several supplements like resveratrol, 5-htp, turmeric, and possibly more. It's not as bad on weekends when I get enough sleep.
-Some pin sized blood spots that might be petechiae but I don't have a low pallet count.
-Alcohol intolerance that came out of nowhere
-Magnesium deficiency

The symptoms mostly came out a year ago after making the mistake of trying fasting for a week which I understand now can weaken the adrenals. Also, I was drinking a lot of Stash licorice root tea which I doubt is Chinese LR, after stopping the symptoms drastically decreased. The most helpful thing has been slowly testing supplements since I have several sensitivities.

Pau d'arco seems to have helped a little and there was possible herx reaction for a few days. I was feeling better than ever for a few weeks while on Amla w/ 20% spirulina. After switching to another pure amla product it wasn't working nearly as well. I tried stopping vitamin C all together and my symptoms suddenly got worse than they've been in a while. I started on acerola powder yesterday and feel slightly better already.

I'm possibly sensitive to bee pollen / nettle although the symptoms might just be from stopping vit C. Would synthetic pantothenic acid be a good alternative for now?

Yes.

If the acerola works out I do have jiaogulan, ashwagandha, chaparral, and water ozonator to possibly try next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

One herb I highly recommend adding is schisandra berry, which is another of my favorite adaptogens. Ashwagandha may help as well. It is calming like Chinese licorice root and will support the thyroid, which can help boost energy and reduce inflammation.

As much as I like licorice root and it sounds like a lot of your problem is inflammation related you should not go overboard with the licorice root. So cut back on the licorice root.

As for the magnesium deficiency I prefer magnesium malate, which is well absorbed and does a great job of increasing ATP levels for cellular energy and proper function.

Thanks

You're welcome.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-13-2012 04:36 AM
j226 Offline

Thanks, I'm ordering the schisandra and mag malate.

I forgot to mention the specifics of my skin issue, it might be a unique problem so it's been difficult to research. The doctors that I went to had never heard of it and I can't find any similar accounts online. I get stinging sensations mostly on my arms and legs that's isolated to small spots and it doesn't last long. At it's worst the stinging was so severe that scars would form, most of the scars look like small linear knife cuts. Brief joint / muscle pains and some skin inflammation around the knuckles, knee area, and forearms were also associated with this. Fortunately, I haven't noticed any new scars in about 7 months since the stinging sensations are down after stopping licorice tea and other supps. Do you know if this sounds like autoimmunity or possibly just an allergic reaction that my adrenals can't handle?
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2012 09:26 AM by j226.)
07-13-2012 09:22 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-13-2012 09:22 AM)j226 Wrote:  Thanks, I'm ordering the schisandra and mag malate.

I forgot to mention the specifics of my skin issue, it might be a unique problem so it's been difficult to research. The doctors that I went to had never heard of it and I can't find any similar accounts online. I get stinging sensations mostly on my arms and legs that's isolated to small spots and it doesn't last long. At it's worst the stinging was so severe that scars would form, most of the scars look like small linear knife cuts. Brief joint / muscle pains and some skin inflammation around the knuckles, knee area, and forearms were also associated with this. Fortunately, I haven't noticed any new scars in about 7 months since the stinging sensations are down after stopping licorice tea and other supps. Do you know if this sounds like autoimmunity or possibly just an allergic reaction that my adrenals can't handle?

A couple of questions. Is this brought on by sun exposure? Are the scars forming without scratching?

Off hand I would say it could be linear scleroderma based on the licorice root and other supplements helping. This would make me lean more towards an autoimmune disorder. If the problem was triggered by exposure to sunlight then a type of porphyria could be a possibility.

07-13-2012 10:30 PM
j226 Offline

(07-13-2012 10:30 PM)James Wrote:  A couple of questions. Is this brought on by sun exposure? Are the scars forming without scratching?

Off hand I would say it could be linear scleroderma based on the licorice root and other supplements helping. This would make me lean more towards an autoimmune disorder. If the problem was triggered by exposure to sunlight then a type of porphyria could be a possibility.

Sun exposure hasn't been a factor, during the worst of the symptoms I was working the graveyard shift and got little sun, also I have some scars on my feet which are almost never exposed to the sun. There is no scratching or external pressure that led to the scars. It's always caused by a very sharp stinging sensation on the surface of my skin, when severe it almost feels like being cut or stuck with a needle but the sensation is brief. When the irritation is mild it feels more like an itching sensation. The only larger scars are about 1/3" long came out right after I had tried fasting, most are much smaller and there are a few that are just under the surface of the skin. The primary triggers appear to be sensitivities to different chemicals and sometimes lack of sleep, licorice was the worst, and andrographis was another that caused problems.

I had actually been worrying a lot last year that this could be scleroderma, a blood test showed a very low concentration at 1:80 of an auto antibody associated with crest syndrome, and the doctors weren't concerned because of the low concentration. A dermatologist didn't think it looked like a connective tissue disease. I've looked at a lot of pics of crest / linear sclero online and it doesn't look very similar. I haven't been able to find any information on stinging being related to crest. I also don't have other related symptoms now like skin tightness / hardening, raynaud's, calcinosis, or esophagus issues.

I've suspected that my scars are more of a reaction to very severe inflammation under the skin that goes with the stinging sensation rather than just a deposit of collagen. The only somewhat similar issue I found reference to is Atrophia maculosa varioliformis cutis (AMVC) which involved spontaneous pitted facial scars.

Currently after a few days on acerola powder I'm feeling far better. The fatigue is almost gone and mild stinging is barely an issue. The only noticeable problem now is mild swelling in my hands.

I included a pic from last September where you can see some of the worst of the scars which formed mostly above the middle knuckle, on the index finger knuckle, and in the middle of the index finger. It's hard to tell from the pic but the majority of the easily visible scars are raised. It hasn't gotten any worse since this was taken other than having a few small scars on my forearm after trying resveratrol / 5-htp a month later. The mild stinging I still have been getting off and on this year hasn't been nearly severe enough to cause further scarring.
[Image: lNFw1.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 11:59 AM by j226.)
07-14-2012 07:09 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-14-2012 07:09 AM)j226 Wrote:  
(07-13-2012 10:30 PM)James Wrote:  A couple of questions. Is this brought on by sun exposure? Are the scars forming without scratching?

Sun exposure hasn't been a factor, during the worst of the symptoms I was working the graveyard shift and got little sun, also I have some scars on my feet which are almost never exposed to the sun. There is no scratching or external pressure that led to the scars. It's always caused by a very sharp stinging sensation on the surface of my skin, when severe it almost feels like being cut or stuck with a needle but the sensation is brief. When the irritation is mild it feels more like an itching sensation. The only larger scars are about 1/3" long came out right after I had tried fasting, most are much smaller and there are a few that are just under the surface of the skin. The primary triggers appear to be sensitivities to different chemicals and sometimes lack of sleep, licorice was the worst, and andrographis was another that caused problems.

I had actually been worrying a lot last year that this could be scleroderma, a blood test showed a very low concentration at 1:80 of an auto antibody associated with crest syndrome, and the doctors weren't concerned because of the low concentration. A dermatologist didn't think it looked like a connective tissue disease. I've looked at a lot of pics of crest / linear sclero online and it doesn't look very similar. I haven't been able to find any information on stinging being related to crest. I also don't have other related symptoms now like skin tightness / hardening, raynaud's, calcinosis, or esophagus issues.

I've suspected that my scars are more of a reaction to very severe inflammation under the skin that goes with the stinging sensation rather than just a deposit of collagen. The only somewhat similar issue I found reference to is Atrophia maculosa varioliformis cutis (AMVC) which involved spontaneous pitted facial scars.

Currently after a few days on acerola powder I'm feeling far better. The fatigue is almost gone and mild stinging is barely an issue. The only noticeable problem now is mild swelling in my hands.

I included a pic from last September where you can see some of the worst of the scars which formed mostly above the middle knuckle, on the index finger knuckle, and in the middle of the index finger. It's hard to tell from the pic but the majority of the easily visible scars are raised. It hasn't gotten any worse since this was taken other than having a few small scars on my forearm after trying resveratrol / 5-htp a month later. The mild stinging I still have been getting off and on this year hasn't been nearly severe enough to cause further scarring.
[Image: lNFw1.jpg]

Porphyria was pretty unlikely anyway since this is genetic so you would have had it all your life. And I don't see any signs of Raynaud's associated with CREST. This still would not rule out linear scleroderma, which is a more localized form of scleroderma.

One other possibility you can look in to is morphea.

07-15-2012 02:20 AM
j226 Offline

James Wrote:  Porphyria was pretty unlikely anyway since this is genetic so you would have had it all your life. And I don't see any signs of Raynaud's associated with CREST. This still would not rule out linear scleroderma, which is a more localized form of scleroderma.

Thanks, I'll watch out for other symptoms of those issues. From what I remember with both diseases the collagen deposits typically grow or change over time, in over a year none of my scars have changed in size. I've suspected this is some form of autoimmunity but the only thing that doesn't quite make sense is a lot of the triggers like 5-htp, resveratrol, and licorice aren't known for overstimulating the immune system.

Two last questions. Assuming the skin issue is autoimmune could ozonated water help? Also could gotu kola or butchers broom possibly prevent further petechiae spots through strengthening the blood vessels?
07-15-2012 10:52 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-15-2012 10:52 AM)j226 Wrote:  
James Wrote:  Porphyria was pretty unlikely anyway since this is genetic so you would have had it all your life. And I don't see any signs of Raynaud's associated with CREST. This still would not rule out linear scleroderma, which is a more localized form of scleroderma.

Thanks, I'll watch out for other symptoms of those issues. From what I remember with both diseases the collagen deposits typically grow or change over time, in over a year none of my scars have changed in size. I've suspected this is some form of autoimmunity but the only thing that doesn't quite make sense is a lot of the triggers like 5-htp, resveratrol, and licorice aren't known for overstimulating the immune system.

Two last questions. Assuming the skin issue is autoimmune could ozonated water help?

If not overdone. Most autoimmune conditions have been linked to pathogens as the triggers. It is the weakened state of the adrenals though that lead to the over production of low affinity (nonspecific) antibodies. Anyway, the ozonated water can help with the pathogens. Although ozone also forms peroxides that activate white blood cells, which you do not want to do much of in an autoimmune condition.

Also could gotu kola or butchers broom possibly prevent further petechiae spots through strengthening the blood vessels?

Yes, along with vitamin C sources.

07-15-2012 11:56 AM