Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Digestive Enzymes
HealthLover Offline

Digestive Enzymes
What eating pattern helps digestive enzymes, eating more frequently or spacing meals further apart to "let them build up" again? I have read both things in books, and don't know which is correct.

I feel better with more spacing between meals (4 hours or so). What digestive problem might this address?

Thank you.
07-11-2012 07:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Digestive Enzymes
(07-11-2012 07:50 AM)HealthLover Wrote:  What eating pattern helps digestive enzymes, eating more frequently or spacing meals further apart to "let them build up" again? I have read both things in books, and don't know which is correct.

It really should not make much difference. The body is going to release whatever amount of enzymes it needs for the type and amount of food. So if the same type and amount of food is consumed every 4 hours or spread out over the 4 hours the amount of enzymes used will be basically the same.

I feel better with more spacing between meals (4 hours or so). What digestive problem might this address?

Feel better in which way?

Some people for example will feel better eating more frequently because they are prone to hypoglycemia, and eating frequently helps stabilize their blood sugar. Or smaller, less heavy meals will not bog them down since blood is not being diverted from the brain for digestion.

Knowing what you are eating and how you are feeling better will tell me a lot more.

Thank you.

You're welcome.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-11-2012 07:46 PM
HealthLover Offline

I meant I actually need more spacing- for me, 4 hours is a lot in between meals because I used to have hypoglycemia and no longer need to eat every 2 hours.

So, your question made me reflect on what causes the problem. First of all, I have a tendency toward gastritis, and I wonder if that is the problem. But, I have also heard of "slow gastric emptying" and wonder what that might feel like.

My stomach feels best with:
yogurt, kefir
fresh fruit (not dried- dried hurts)
anything I eat with lots of salad
smaller amounts of nuts (too much can bother me after an hour or two)

My stomach bothers me with:
intermittantly with carbs- wheat is worst, and well-cooked beans are best, but fresh fruit is always good
pasteurized butter (raw is ok)
salt can bother me
vinegar- even
over-cooked veggies (I do ok with lightly cooked or sauteed)

Could it just be the gastritis? Perhaps the longer periods in between meals just gives my stomach a break? Is there anyway to get rid of this for good, or is it just a management issue?

Thank you. (I hope I am not asking too many questions!)
07-12-2012 06:45 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-12-2012 06:45 AM)HealthLover Wrote:  I meant I actually need more spacing- for me, 4 hours is a lot in between meals because I used to have hypoglycemia and no longer need to eat every 2 hours.

So, your question made me reflect on what causes the problem. First of all, I have a tendency toward gastritis, and I wonder if that is the problem. But, I have also heard of "slow gastric emptying" and wonder what that might feel like.

H. pylori can lead to gastritis and will slow gastric emptying. In fact, low stomach acid can lead to various infections causing gastritis and reduced gastric emptying time.

My stomach feels best with:
yogurt, kefir
fresh fruit (not dried- dried hurts)
anything I eat with lots of salad
smaller amounts of nuts (too much can bother me after an hour or two)

The yogurt and kefir in particular would make sense since they help fight infections and increase stomach acidity.

My stomach bothers me with:
intermittantly with carbs- wheat is worst, and well-cooked beans are best, but fresh fruit is always good
pasteurized butter (raw is ok)
salt can bother me
vinegar- even
over-cooked veggies (I do ok with lightly cooked or sauteed)

Some of these contain harder fibers that can irritate an inflamed stomach. Not sure why the salt and pasteurized butter would be a problem. Same with the vinegar since stomach acid is more acidic.

Could it just be the gastritis?

It does sound like gastritis, and some of these foods will aggravate gastritis. Most cases of gastritis will be from infection so I recommend trying an antiseptic herb like pau d' arco. You can add a little slippery elm or marshmallow root to help coat the stomach to limit irritation from the fiber. Or go with the tea. For example, boiling pau d' arco with a little licorice root for 15-20 minutes. Once the tea is cooled you can drink the tea a little at a time throughout the day to kill any pathogens in the stomach and to help keep the inflammation down.

Perhaps the longer periods in between meals just gives my stomach a break?

Could be more time to build up some stomach acid, which can help reduce stomach pathogens.

Is there anyway to get rid of this for good, or is it just a management issue?

Again most cases of gastritis involve an infection of the stomach. Therefore, I recommend killing off any potential bacteria in the stomach first. Licorice root is also good for this and it reduces the inflammation at the same time.

Thank you. (I hope I am not asking too many questions!)

Not a problem.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-13-2012 03:22 AM