Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Water Retention
Nancy Offline

Water Retention
Hi James,

My mother in law have been using your Cardiovascular formula with some Magnesium citrate and has not gotten any water retention for several months. Only recently, she starts having some water retention. What is a good relief of it?
She said that she ran out of magnesium citrate and was not able to get it. Is it related to the water retention?

Your input is appreciated,

Nancy
07-10-2012 10:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Water Retention
(07-10-2012 10:32 PM)Nancy Wrote:  Hi James,

My mother in law have been using your Cardiovascular formula with some Magnesium citrate and has not gotten any water retention for several months. Only recently, she starts having some water retention. What is a good relief of it?
She said that she ran out of magnesium citrate and was not able to get it. Is it related to the water retention?

Nancy

Water retention can have a number of causes.

Magnesium does not have a direct effect on the water retention, but can play a role. Magnesium malate elevates ATP, which the heart is highly dependent on. By elevating ATP to the heart muscle it can work more efficiently pushing more blood through the kidneys for water removal.

Until she can get the magnesium another thing she can try is to increase her intake of potassium rich foods such as watermelon, oranges, ripe bananas, parsley, etc. Potassium is diuretic since it displaces sodium, which retains water.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-11-2012 04:26 AM
JC73 Offline

(07-11-2012 04:26 AM)James Wrote:  

Nancy

Magnesium does not have a direct effect on the water retention, but can play a role. Magnesium malate elevates ATP, which the heart is highly dependent on. By elevating ATP to the heart muscle it can work more efficiently pushing more blood through the kidneys for water removal.

Until she can get the magnesium another thing she can try is to increase her intake of potassium rich foods such as watermelon, oranges, ripe bananas, parsley, etc. Potassium is diuretic since it displaces sodium, which retains water.

Since I have high blood pressure I have a baked potato at every meal which adds about 800mg/potato of potassium which is an additional 2400mg daily.This acts as a diuretic and helps keep pressure low.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 05:57 AM by JC73.)
07-11-2012 05:54 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-11-2012 05:54 AM)JC73 Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 04:26 AM)James Wrote:  

Nancy

Since I have high blood pressure I have a baked potato at every meal which adds about 800mg/potato of potassium which is an additional 2400mg daily.This acts as a diuretic and helps keep pressure low.

Yes, potatoes are good source of potassium. But the majority of the potassium is in the inner peel. So don't peel the potatoes and eat the skins with the rest of the potato. Actually the skins are where all the flavor is at anyway.

07-11-2012 08:36 AM
Nancy Offline

James and JC73,
Thank you for your quick replies/advices! I am happy and thankful.
By some miracle, after a month of water retention, it went away last night. She said she woke up 3 times at night to go to the bathroom. I wonder if there was something in the noodle soup that I made last night that did that? There was pineaple, tomato, curled soy milk, rice noodle, shredded celery and a vegetable soup base that I made from scratch with onion, celery, carot, daikon, green cabbage, and jicama. She just came from Phoenix to California to visit us yesterday and that was her first meal.
This morning I made a smoothie that had banana, watermelon, orange, black berries, lecithin granules and some yogurt. iIt turned out that it had a lot of the fruits that James mentioned. I came home from work and she said that she went to bathroom just fine all day. She was obviously thrilled!
I told her about both of you said and she thought they were interesting.

I had some uva ursi on hand that I bought last time for my sister for a bladder infection. I heard that uva ursi is diuretic. If it is true, will it help her with her water retention condition? Should I be giving her as a tea if the condition comes back?

James,
Thank you for your precision (nutrition in the skin of the potato) and your explanation about how magnesium malate helps with the heart.

Nancy
07-11-2012 09:32 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-11-2012 09:32 PM)Nancy Wrote:  James and JC73,
By some miracle, after a month of water retention, it went away last night. She said she woke up 3 times at night to go to the bathroom. I wonder if there was something in the noodle soup that I made last night that did that? There was pineaple, tomato, curled soy milk, rice noodle, shredded celery and a vegetable soup base that I made from scratch with onion, celery, carot, daikon, green cabbage, and jicama. She just came from Phoenix to California to visit us yesterday and that was her first meal.

Some of the things you added, such as the tomatoes, are high in potassium.

This morning I made a smoothie that had banana, watermelon, orange, black berries, lecithin granules and some yogurt. iIt turned out that it had a lot of the fruits that James mentioned. I came home from work and she said that she went to bathroom just fine all day. She was obviously thrilled!

Even more potassium in the smoothie. It takes about 8 parts of potassium to remove one part of sodium. So the high potassium would displace sodium in her system causing water retention. Sodium sensitivity is fairly rare but does happen and potassium is the best way to address it.

I had some uva ursi on hand that I bought last time for my sister for a bladder infection. I heard that uva ursi is diuretic. If it is true, will it help her with her water retention condition? Should I be giving her as a tea if the condition comes back?

I would not use uva ursi as a diuretic even though it has this action. Uva ursi is high in tannins form one thing so it can block the absorption of other herbs, medications and nutrients. It also lowers blood sugar, which is fine for diabetics, but not for hypoglycemics. Most importantly though uva ursi can be hard on the kidneys so it is not recommended for regular use. Uva ursi is best used for no more than 4 days without a break. There are many safer diuretic herbs out there. And again, most are based on their potassium content. Even potassium pills will work.

Drinking more water can also help. May sound contradictory at first, but the water helps to flush the salts out of the body.

James,
Thank you for your precision (nutrition in the skin of the potato) and your explanation about how magnesium malate helps with the heart.

Nancy

You're welcome.

07-12-2012 10:56 PM
Nancy Offline

(07-12-2012 10:56 PM)James Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 09:32 PM)Nancy Wrote:  James and JC73,

Some of the things you added, such as the tomatoes, are high in potassium.

Even more potassium in the smoothie. It takes about 8 parts of potassium to remove one part of sodium. So the high potassium would displace sodium in her system causing water retention. Sodium sensitivity is fairly rare but does happen and potassium is the best way to address it.

I would not use uva ursi as a diuretic even though it has this action. Uva ursi is high in tannins form one thing so it can block the absorption of other herbs, medications and nutrients. It also lowers blood sugar, which is fine for diabetics, but not for hypoglycemics. Most importantly though uva ursi can be hard on the kidneys so it is not recommended for regular use. Uva ursi is best used for no more than 4 days without a break. There are many safer diuretic herbs out there. And again, most are based on their potassium content. Even potassium pills will work.

Drinking more water can also help. May sound contradictory at first, but the water helps to flush the salts out of the body.

James,

Nancy

You're welcome.

Her water retention is stemming from her heart problem. She used to take some pills to help with this condition, I am not sure what but it did not always help until she uses your Cardiovascular mix and she was fine for a very long time. She was very happy and diligently took the tonic with apple sauce. This water retention problem only arises for the last month.
She recently discovers that she is allergic to wheat and tries to stay away from any wheat product. It makes her go to the bathroom more than normal and maybe because it went through her system too fast, she was not able to absorb nutrition causing constant craving. She also tried to loose some weight by staying away from hi glycemic food. She was able to shed 10 lbs. She says that she does not crave for sweet like she used to.
Can she cure her wheat allergies? Bread is one of her very favorite that she has to say goodbye to.Sad

Thank you for the warning regarding the uva ursi. Things seem to go back to normal. I heard that celery seed also help with water retention. Is it correct?
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2012 01:31 AM by Nancy.)
07-13-2012 01:22 AM
James Offline
Administrator

[/quote]

Her water retention is stemming from her heart problem. She used to take some pills to help with this condition, I am not sure what but it did not always help until she uses your Cardiovascular mix and she was fine for a very long time. She was very happy and diligently took the tonic with apple sauce. This water retention problem only arises for the last month.

There are various causes of water retention. If it were that sudden then something clearly changed. She may have increased her sodium intake or is losing potassium for some reason, could be a problem with the adrenals or kidneys, etc.

She recently discovers that she is allergic to wheat and tries to stay away from any wheat product. It makes her go to the bathroom more than normal and maybe because it went through her system too fast, she was not able to absorb nutrition causing constant craving. She also tried to loose some weight by staying away from hi glycemic food. She was able to shed 10 lbs. She says that she does not crave for sweet like she used to.
Can she cure her wheat allergies? Bread is one of her very favorite that she has to say goodbye to.Sad

All allergies can be eliminated if the adrenals are strengthened. Maintaining stomach acid is also essential to prevent proteins that have not been completely digested from triggering allergic reactions. Trimethylglycine (TMG) is a good start. It is not only great for the cardiovascular system but also helps build up stomach acid.

Thank you for the warning regarding the uva ursi. Things seem to go back to normal. I heard that celery seed also help with water retention. Is it correct?

Yes, celery seed contains a diuretic compound, 3nB, and a fair amount of potassium.
[/quote]

07-13-2012 09:32 PM
Nancy Offline

There are various causes of water retention. If it were that sudden then something clearly changed. She may have increased her sodium intake or is losing potassium for some reason, could be a problem with the adrenals or kidneys, etc.

All allergies can be eliminated if the adrenals are strengthened. Maintaining stomach acid is also essential to prevent proteins that have not been completely digested from triggering allergic reactions. Trimethylglycine (TMG) is a good start. It is not only great for the cardiovascular system but also helps build up stomach acid.

Yes, celery seed contains a diuretic compound, 3nB, and a fair amount of potassium.
[/quote]

[/quote]
My mother in law will be so happy to hear that she could heal her wheat allergies.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help us. You are an angelAngel.

May you always be blessed,

Nancy
07-13-2012 10:22 PM