Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hair Treatment
HealthLover Offline

Hair Treatment
Hi James,

I straightened my hair with a chemical straightener and need to heal it from the hit it took.

A book I have suggests the following:
1. Mix 2 T of jojoba carrier oil with 6 drops of cardamom essential oil. Place that bowl into another bowl that has boiling water to warm the oils. Work it into dry hair and scalp.

2. Wrap your head in plastic wrap like a turban. Wrap a warm towel around your head and let it sit for 15 minutes.

3. When ready, work shampoo right into your hair without using water at first (or it will be hard to get the oil out). After a good lather has been worked up, rinse.

What do you think? Other suggestiongs? FYI, I have coarse, curly hair that I have to work hard to keep moisturized.

Thank you!
07-10-2012 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Hair Treatment
(07-10-2012 12:53 PM)HealthLover Wrote:  Hi James,

I straightened my hair with a chemical straightener and need to heal it from the hit it took.

A book I have suggests the following:
1. Mix 2 T of jojoba carrier oil with 6 drops of cardamom essential oil. Place that bowl into another bowl that has boiling water to warm the oils. Work it into dry hair and scalp.

2. Wrap your head in plastic wrap like a turban. Wrap a warm towel around your head and let it sit for 15 minutes.

3. When ready, work shampoo right into your hair without using water at first (or it will be hard to get the oil out). After a good lather has been worked up, rinse.

What do you think? Other suggestiongs? FYI, I have coarse, curly hair that I have to work hard to keep moisturized.

Thank you!

I have seen several variations on this including rubbing mayonnaise in to the hair and wrapping the hair for a while then washing it out. Both the oil and the egg in the mayonnaise are great for the hair.

I also did a post the other day on dealing with dry hair:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2970

I also recommend using a boar bristle brush for your hair. Boar bristle is better for the hair in part because it does not generate large amounts of static when brushing the hair. Brushing your hair frequently will also help build up oils on the brush bristles that can help re-oil the hair after it has been stripped by shampooing.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-10-2012 11:23 PM
HealthLover Offline

I have the palmarose oil in the house from your suggestion that I had read in the past (that I do add to my shampoo). Is that a better cardamom oil (or at least comparable so I don't have to buy another essential oil)?

Thank you.
07-11-2012 07:57 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-11-2012 07:57 AM)HealthLover Wrote:  I have the palmarose oil in the house from your suggestion that I had read in the past (that I do add to my shampoo). Is that a better cardamom oil (or at least comparable so I don't have to buy another essential oil)?

Thank you.

I have never tried working with cardamom for the hair. It has a strong kind of camphory smell. I got a sample of one shampoo at a trade show that I think has cardamom in it, but also a variety of other oils so it is hard t say what is doing what in the shampoo, but it does make the scalp tingle.

Palmarosa has more a light floral smell.

The advantage of the cardamom would be more of an antiseptic property, which would be good in cases of scalp infections. But as far as other properties for the hair I cannot say, I have not done much with cardamom oil to test its properties in products since many people do not like the smell.

07-11-2012 07:55 PM
HealthLover Offline

Yes, I like the palmarosa smell. Can I just add some crushed aspirin to the oil mixture for scalp help during deep conditioning without drying properties?
07-12-2012 06:22 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-12-2012 06:22 AM)HealthLover Wrote:  Yes, I like the palmarosa smell. Can I just add some crushed aspirin to the oil mixture for scalp help during deep conditioning without drying properties?

Aspirin is added to some shampoos to help treat dandruff. If you add it you would want to powder it and add it directly to the shampoo, not the oil since it is water soluble. This way the aspirin will dissolve in the water portion of the shampoo. It is not going to alter the drying properties of the shampoo though. The oil and acidifying the shampoo will help with this problem.

07-13-2012 02:44 AM
HealthLover Offline

(07-13-2012 02:44 AM)James Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 06:22 AM)HealthLover Wrote:  Yes, I like the palmarosa smell. Can I just add some crushed aspirin to the oil mixture for scalp help during deep conditioning without drying properties?

Aspirin is added to some shampoos to help treat dandruff. If you add it you would want to powder it and add it directly to the shampoo, not the oil since it is water soluble. This way the aspirin will dissolve in the water portion of the shampoo. It is not going to alter the drying properties of the shampoo though. The oil and acidifying the shampoo will help with this problem.

I did the palmarosa oil w/ jojoba carrier treatment, and it did next to nothing. The directions said to do it on dry hair, and I wondered if the build-up of hair products like hair spray would prevent it from penetrating? Should I wash my hair first? And then, would I wait until it dried to apply, or can I apply it to wet hair?

Thank you.
07-15-2012 01:06 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-15-2012 01:06 PM)HealthLover Wrote:  
(07-13-2012 02:44 AM)James Wrote:  

I did the palmarosa oil w/ jojoba carrier treatment, and it did next to nothing. The directions said to do it on dry hair, and I wondered if the build-up of hair products like hair spray would prevent it from penetrating? Should I wash my hair first? And then, would I wait until it dried to apply, or can I apply it to wet hair?

Thank you.

I have always applied jojoba to my hair when still wet. After washing my hair and towel drying the hair then I work in a small amount of jojoba oil.

If you use conditioners then the waxes would inhibit penetration. That is why I hate conditioners for my hair. I don't like all the waxes, and actually the polymers as well such as dimethicone. Dimethicone leaves the hair really soft and shiny, but it is also a repellant.

Even if you don't use a conditioner washing the hair first then applying the oils when the hair is still damp would be best.

07-16-2012 08:59 PM