Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ideas on Bicarbonate Therapy
Whitey Offline

Ideas on Bicarbonate Therapy
Since chelating mercury with ALA for 2 years, I only tolerate certain foods and I tend to be more, possibly too acidic and I seem to need potassium more. I have Alka Seltzer Gold that I bought online and it seems to help. It's high in potassium bicarbonate, which I think can be very beneficial in certain conditions.
Some also recommended taking baking soda. They say a warm bath with 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup Mg oil is a good way to remove acids via vasodilation / sweating.

Do you know of a source to buy food grade potassium bicarbonate? Or, what are your thoughts on this?

Is it OK to take bicarb with a history of low stomach acid output like I have? I can tell that the bicarb helps. I can tell that I'm too acid. I don't need to fool around with pH testing of saliva and urine. I go by how I feel. The only alkalizing foods I can tolerate are broccoli, onions, cabbage, rutabaga, and fermented vegetables. Quinoa also seems like it may not be acid forming in my body. Any other foods I tolerate are acid forming. I tend to get bored eating too much of the above vegs in order to keep the pH more alkaline than I have been.

I need to do whatever it takes to get me thorough some more chelating, this time with DMSA. When I've gotten the Hg all out of me as best I can in maybe a year or so from now, then I should be able to eat fruit as I did before chelating and balance my pH via foods, and I should be in better mental and physical health.

Thank you.

Whitey
07-05-2012 07:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Ideas on Bicarbonate Therapy
(07-05-2012 07:51 PM)Whitey Wrote:  Since chelating mercury with ALA for 2 years, I only tolerate certain foods and I tend to be more, possibly too acidic and I seem to need potassium more. I have Alka Seltzer Gold that I bought online and it seems to help. It's high in potassium bicarbonate, which I think can be very beneficial in certain conditions.
Some also recommended taking baking soda. They say a warm bath with 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup Mg oil is a good way to remove acids via vasodilation / sweating.

Do you know of a source to buy food grade potassium bicarbonate? Or, what are your thoughts on this?

Off hand I don't know where to get potassium bicarbonate other than chemical supply houses.

You need to read my posts on acidosis though. Acidosis is extremely rare and generally transient. Generally the only time you see true chronic acidosis is in COPD patients from hypoventilation.

Food intolerances generally develop from a lack of stomach acid and "leaky gut". Using potassium bicarbonate could make things worse as it will further reduce stomach acid and stomach acid production.

Is it OK to take bicarb with a history of low stomach acid output like I have?

I don't recommend neutralizing the stomach acid at all. This could lead to all sorts of health problems. And some of the nutrients required for stomach acid formation are acid dependent for absorption. Therefore, neutralizing the stomach acid interferes with the formation of more stomach acid.

I can tell that the bicarb helps. I can tell that I'm too acid. I don't need to fool around with pH testing of saliva and urine.

Urine and saliva pH do not correlate to blood pH. That is just more sales hype. And again, acidosis is EXTREMELY rare. I cannot emphasize that enough. Both acidosis and alkalosis are harmful to deadly so the body maintains a tight control on its pH through a variety of mechanisms. The body has more means to deal with acidosis than it does alkalosis, which is why alkalosis is so much more dangerous.

I go by how I feel. The only alkalizing foods I can tolerate are broccoli, onions, cabbage, rutabaga, and fermented vegetables. Quinoa also seems like it may not be acid forming in my body. Any other foods I tolerate are acid forming. I tend to get bored eating too much of the above vegs in order to keep the pH more alkaline than I have been.

Diet plays very little role in the body's pH. All foods whether they start out acidic or alkaline will be acidified by the stomach acid then alkalized by the bicarbonate as soon as they leave the stomach. Again, respiration is the body's main means of pH regulation.

I need to do whatever it takes to get me thorough some more chelating, this time with DMSA. When I've gotten the Hg all out of me as best I can in maybe a year or so from now, then I should be able to eat fruit as I did before chelating and balance my pH via foods, and I should be in better mental and physical health.

Thank you.

Whitey

Instead of DMSA why not take chlorella? Chlorella binds heavy metals and will provide nutrition. Seaweeds, grains, fruits and vegetables also contain compounds that bind and remove heavy metals and provide nutrition in the process.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-05-2012 08:41 PM
Whitey Offline

Hi,

Makes sense to me. AK Gold might be good for an emergency if you have an allergic reaction to food, they say. Thank you for your reply.

I found some Chinese Licorice sticks at the HF store and I've been chewing on them between meals. It's kind of like chewing on branches off a tree but it tastes good and it gives me good breath. My saliva seems to be rich in licorice now.

I have Chlorella in Superfood along with Spirulina, brewer's yeast, beet root pwdr, wheat gras pwdr, kelp, and lots of other things. The Cutler program is against taking chlorella and spirulina for people with Hg toxicity, so, if I took it, I'd be going against what they recommend. I tend to want to stick with their rules because they have lead me to some success even tho I have a way further to go.

I will not make a habit of taking baking soda or K Bicarbonate. You're right, that's like taking Prilosec and all that other crap, it kills the acid but that's not a good thing long term, even tho SO many people do it, that doesn't mean it's right. I do need to favor vegs right now but I think I'll be OK as long as I don't eat too much acid foods. Millet seems to be acid forming with me, and so does Ezekiel bread and corn meal, but not fresh corn.

There are only a certain % of people that see past the alkaline myths. Fact is, I've been so alkaline that I didn't even want to get off of the sofa. It can really lay you out if you get over alkaline and it can take weeks to turn it around.

Whitey
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2012 01:00 PM by Whitey.)
07-06-2012 12:59 PM
Whitey Offline

One thing I don't agree with you on is this :

Quote:Diet plays very little role in the body's pH. All foods whether they start out acidic or alkaline will be acidified by the stomach acid then alkalized by the bicarbonate as soon as they leave the stomach.

I feel that diet plays a BIG part in the body's pH. I've seen my body pH get too alkaline and get too acidic after I over corrected it. I once took potassium chloride every day, thinking I needed potassium, and that stuff got me imbalanced and the fluid in my eyes stung, and my pee seemed like H2SO4. I don't think I balanced it with sodium.

Lots of people eat things like breakfast burritos at drive ups and big macs with tea, and they take things like Prilosec to kill the heartburn they get from it. It's a terrible way to balance oH but if it wasn't for the acid killers their pH would be very acid, and it may still be too acid in spite of the Prilosec, etc.. For years I did the same thing with drinking milk. I ate all the pasta and tomato sauce and other acid forming foods I wanted to but just drank milk with meals, and more milk between meals if I got more heartburn.

They say that baking soda / sodium bicarb has reversed cancer in many people, per Dr Simoncini and Marc Sircus books on it. They recommend taking it to prevent cancer too, but I don't plan to. I have a feeling that most of the people that reversed cancer with baking soda are people that ate the SADiet until they got sick, then wanted to survive enough to try something like alkalinizing with Dr Simoncini's approach. I'm not saying that I have acidosis, I just seem to be more acidic than I used to be, but probably not enough so that I should be too concerned about it. Killing off candida as I have been with drinking DE may be adding to the acid. As you probably know, when microbes are killed off they seem to emit acids.

Anyway, it's good to chat with you about this stuff. I've learned some interesting tidbits here for sure.

Whitey
07-06-2012 05:21 PM
Whitey Offline

Before bicarbonate can neutralize the acidic foods, there needs to be enough of it. I've heard that a deficiency of bicarbonate is not uncommon. Bicarbonate precursors can only be gotten from fruit and vegetables if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not sure but Hg toxic people can have many kinds of imbalances.
07-07-2012 05:23 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-06-2012 05:21 PM)Whitey Wrote:  One thing I don't agree with you on is this :

Quote:Diet plays very little role in the body's pH. All foods whether they start out acidic or alkaline will be acidified by the stomach acid then alkalized by the bicarbonate as soon as they leave the stomach.

I feel that diet plays a BIG part in the body's pH. I've seen my body pH get too alkaline and get too acidic after I over corrected it. I once took potassium chloride every day, thinking I needed potassium, and that stuff got me imbalanced and the fluid in my eyes stung, and my pee seemed like H2SO4. I don't think I balanced it with sodium.

Potassium chloride is not really part of diet. By diet I am referring to foods primarily that we would normally consume as part of meeting our nutritional needs daily for health and energy production.

Lots of people eat things like breakfast burritos at drive ups and big macs with tea, and they take things like Prilosec to kill the heartburn they get from it.

Prilosec is a proton pump inhibitor. So it blocks stomach acid formation. When discussing acid-alkaline balance we are discussing blood pH.

It's a terrible way to balance oH

OH refers to the hydroxyl group, which is alkaline.

but if it wasn't for the acid killers their pH would be very acid, and it may still be too acid in spite of the Prilosec, etc..

Again, the main method of pH balance by the body is respiration. If the body starts becoming too acidic the respiration increases to increase the pH by reducing carbonic acid and protons.

For years I did the same thing with drinking milk. I ate all the pasta and tomato sauce and other acid forming foods I wanted to but just drank milk with meals, and more milk between meals if I got more heartburn.

Heartburn is most often caused by a lack of stomach acid, which does not reflect blood pH.

I just don't buy the acid forming foods hypothesis. Yes some foods can cause a very temporary shift in the pH if consumed in excess of the primary buffers. In the case of diet this would be the stomach acid and pancreatic bicarbonate. For example, excess vinegar consumption can overwhelm the bicarbonate buffer resulting in acidosis.

But let's take for example something like pasta. How can pasta cause acidosis? The only way is to be broken down in to simple sugars and the metabolism of sugar will form carbon dioxide and thus carbonic acid. But carbonic acid is rapidly utilized, neutralized or eliminated. So there is no true acidosis caused by eating something like pasta.

They say that baking soda / sodium bicarb has reversed cancer in many people, per Dr Simoncini and Marc Sircus books on it.

I also wrote a chapter in my cancer book on his claims. In short I feel anyone following his advice would be foolish.

They recommend taking it to prevent cancer too, but I don't plan to.

Taking baking soda orally would not only increase the risk for cancer, but it can also be extremely detrimental to someone dealing with cancer. There is a humongous difference between the direct injection of sodium bicarbonate in to the cancer as Simoncini did and the oral ingestion of sodium bicarbonate.

And if you delve deeper in to Simoncini's claims you will see a number of very basic errors.

I have a feeling that most of the people that reversed cancer with baking soda are people that ate the SADiet until they got sick, then wanted to survive enough to try something like alkalinizing with Dr Simoncini's approach. I'm not saying that I have acidosis, I just seem to be more acidic than I used to be, but probably not enough so that I should be too concerned about it. Killing off candida as I have been with drinking DE may be adding to the acid. As you probably know, when microbes are killed off they seem to emit acids.

Not necessarily. Destruction of any cells can raise uric acid, but uric acid is generally formed from highly alkaline and toxic ammonia. So it is a little more complicated. Also keep in mind that the uric acid is not only beneficial to the body in normal doses, but it also reduces acidity in its own formation and is eliminated relatively quick except in rare incidences.

Anyway, it's good to chat with you about this stuff. I've learned some interesting tidbits here for sure.

Whitey

The myths surrounding acid-alkaline balance drive a lot of the holistic cancer therapy myths so I have been addressing this topic very much in depth in my book on holistic cancer treatments I am working on.

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 02:34 PM by James.)
07-07-2012 05:31 AM
Whitey Offline

If we are too acid, we can have bone resorption where the calcium is stolen from the bones in order to keep the blood at a balanced pH. Lack of calcium in diet and supplements can also cause this, I think. How do you feel about this?

http://www.betterbones.com/alkalinebalan...tplan.aspx
I had the Heidelberg Gastric test done twice and I had hypochlorhydria in the 80s. I have Jonathan V Wright's book on Stomach Acid, AAMOF, he did one of my Heidelberg tests. Smile
It's good to see that you have a strong opinion on this topic. Acids in the gut do play an important part.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2012 05:52 AM by Whitey.)
07-07-2012 05:44 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-07-2012 05:44 AM)Whitey Wrote:  If we are too acid, we can have bone resorption where the calcium is stolen from the bones in order to keep the blood at a balanced pH. Lack of calcium in diet and supplements can also cause this, I think. How do you feel about this?

http://www.betterbones.com/alkalinebalan...tplan.aspx

I addressed this misleading claim numerous times in the past. What these sites are leaving out is the fact that buffering by bone minerals are a LAST RESORT by the body's buffering system. In other words the body would have to reach a pretty severe state of acidosis and for a prolonged period of time for there to be any significant bone loss.

In fact, this is extremely easy to prove. Take for instance marathon runners. We all know that during intense exercise that the tissues become acidic. Not from lactic acid as most people believe but rather from the build up of acid forming hydrogen protons. So the obvious question is why don't the bones of marathon runners dissolve in the acidity as they run? Instead, running actually increases bone strength. To answer the question we go back to what I have said over and over. Respiration is the body's main means of pH regulation. And there are various other primary means of pH regulation. Therefore, the body does not need to rely on the bones as a means of pH regulation except in the super rare cases of severe acidosis.

Now, let's look at the opposite side of this claim. If they are going to claim that acidosis leads to bone loss and that alkalinity prevents it then this can be taken further as evidence that alkalizing leads to poor bone health. Surprise! If they look in to how bones form and stay healthy then they will find that in order to stay healthy bones are in a constant state of being broken down and rebuilt. This is known as bone remodeling. The breakdown of the old bone involves acid secreted by bone cells. If they were to keep the body alkaline enough to inhibit other acids then the alkalinity could theoretically inhibit the bone's acids thus inhibiting remodeling leading to structurally weak bone tissue.

Again, this is a good example of why I keep encouraging people to learn how things really work in the body rather than getting their health information from sales sites.

I would also love to know how they arrived at their lists of acid forming foods and alkaline forming foods since it makes no sense. For example how can snow peas be alkalizing and green peas and split peas are acid forming? Is there really a difference? And how can mushrooms be alkalizing when as a high purine source they elevate uric acid levels as much if not more than meats that they claim are acid forming? Why would table salt be acid forming while soy sauce loaded with the same type of salt is alkalizing? How can stevia be acid forming when the sugar molecules in stevia are not even absorbed and metabolized and the plant is full of minerals? How come the high sugar content in beets is not acid forming like the table sugar derived from them? Why is fructose from figs, dates, guavas and plums acid forming but not the sugars in other fruits despite all these plants containing minerals? Why are rhubarb and spinach acid forming when the kale they claim is alkalizing contains significantly more oxalic acid than spinach? How come umeboshi and apple cider vinegar are alkalizing while other vinegars are acid forming even though they are all acetic acid that has been shown to induce acidosis if over consumed? Especially the umeboshi vinegar, which is full of acid forming salt? How can pineapple juice be alkalizing considering all the acid forming sugar and acid in it? How can parsley be alkalizing when it is also high in oxalic acid? How can walnuts and hazelnuts be acid forming and sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews and chestnuts are alkaline forming when they are all high in acid forming proteins? How can lentils be alkalizing when their close other high protein relatives such as peas and beans are acid forming? And how do they determine some oils are acid forming and others are alkaline forming when they are all composed of fatty acids and all metabolized in the same manner producing carbonic acid and by the flora other acids? It really sounds to me that someone decided to flip a coin to decide which foods would be listed as acid forming and which ones would be listed as alkaline forming.

I had the Heidelberg Gastric test done twice and I had hypochlorhydria in the 80s. I have Jonathan V Wright's book on Stomach Acid, AAMOF, he did one of my Heidelberg tests. Smile
It's good to see that you have a strong opinion on this topic. Acids in the gut do play an important part.

Acids play important roles throughout the body. Even energy production by every cell in the body is reliant on various acids such as pyruvic, citric and malic acids.

07-07-2012 08:51 AM
Whitey Offline

I've seen all kinds of acid / alkaline food lists and I don't think 2 of them ever were the same.

I was on a program called Life Balances in the mid 90s. My anion / cation ratio then was 19, which was way too alkaline, but they reduced it to 12 in 30 days, using milk with electrolyte concentrate, Hcl, and diet.

Raw ACV is not acid forming, it's alkaline due to it's potassium content and enzymes. Are you for or against the use of Bragg's raw ACV? I used to blame my GI problems on ACV, but actually chelating with ALA only is more likely the cause. I'm thinking of using a little more ACV, but not too much of it. I think a TBS or so a day might possibly be good for me. The acidity it gives to the stomach can neutralize some pathogens.

I used to eat distilled vinegary foods like salsa with organic corn chips, salads with vinegar dressings, pickles, etc. Gut pathogens cannot live in acid and will be killed off. I don't think I'd use distilled vinegar again. My body has a hard time clearing something type of acid, due to chelating. But, it often balances itself out over time.
07-07-2012 05:19 PM
Whitey Offline

PS - I don't think I'd take raw ACV again, and maybe not any vinegar at all any more. I took some ascorbic acid instead of the NaAsc buffered C I had been taking. I may not be too acidic. Real Vit C is more beneficial than buffered in some cases. I need to take some due to chelating with DMSA at this time.
07-07-2012 08:29 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-07-2012 05:19 PM)Whitey Wrote:  I've seen all kinds of acid / alkaline food lists and I don't think 2 of them ever were the same.

I was on a program called Life Balances in the mid 90s. My anion / cation ratio then was 19, which was way too alkaline, but they reduced it to 12 in 30 days, using milk with electrolyte concentrate, Hcl, and diet.

Raw ACV is not acid forming, it's alkaline due to it's potassium content and enzymes.

Digestive enzymes do not affect blood pH.

And as far as the claim that apple cider vinegar (ACV) is alkaline due to the potassium there are several flaws with this hypothesis. First of all other foods containing a significant amount of potassium are being listed as acid forming. Fish, figs, guava, dates, tomatoes, etc are all high in potassium yet considered acid forming. In fact, according to the claims avocados are alkaline while soybeans and regular beans are acid forming. Yet the potassium content of soybeans and regular beans are 1.5-2 times higher in potassium than avocado. Bananas are also considered alkaline, even though their potassium content is lower than avocados and thus lower than some of the foods considered acid forming.

In fact, a cup of ACV only contains 240mg of potassium. One cup of tomato juice on the other hand contains 535mg of potassium, yet they call this acid forming. A cup of lima beans contains 955mg of potassium, while a cup of white beans contain 1,189mg of potassium and these are also considered acid forming despite containing exceptionally higher levels of potassium than ACV. And a cup of coked soybeans contain 972mg of potassium but are also considered acid forming despite having such a higher potassium content than ACV.

Second problem with this hypothesis is that if you test the pH of ACV, which is diluted acetic acid you will find that the pH is still acidic. There is not enough potassium to buffer the acidity of the acid in the vinegar.

Third problem with this hypothesis is that sodium also alkalizes just like potassium as both alkali metals. So how can they claim potassium is alkalizing yet sodium is acidic? Again, there is no rhyme nor reason to the acid-alkaline claims.

Are you for or against the use of Bragg's raw ACV?

No, not at all. In fact I have recommended ACV numerous times as a temporary fix for low stomach acidity while people work on getting their stomach acidity back up.

07-08-2012 01:37 AM
James Offline
Administrator

Whitey,

I got a chance to see your last post before you deleted it. I am not going off on you. I am simply trying to explain some flaws in your statements. It just sounds to me like you are getting your information from sales sites and not questioning the validity of some of the claims. For example, the claim that ACV is alkalizing because of its potassium content. If this is the case then why are foods considerably higher in potassium considered acid forming?

The idea is not to bash you. The idea is to get people back to thinking for themselves and to use some common sense. Again for example, if acidosis causes bone loss as these alkaline supporting sites claim then why don't the bones of marathoners dissolve in to nothing as they run since heavy exercise induces a state of acidosis?

If you want a place where people are simply going to tell you what you want to hear then you are right, this is not the place for you. It is like I said on the other place I used to post. I am not here to make friends, I am here to share what I have learned. The reason so many people are still sick on that other site or are getting hurt from the advice is that people are there only listening to the advice that coincides with what they want to hear in the first place with no regards as to whether or not the information is true.

I also don't see where I took things off topic or took things you said out of context. If you think I did then please point out specifically where you think I did in case there is some kind of misunderstanding or I am doing something I am not aware of.

Finally, this thread has been very beneficial all around. It actually validates what I have been saying all along about debate can be useful as long as it is kept civil. Look for instance at the evidence that was brought forth about potassium levels not being an indicator of whether something is going to be acid forming or alkalizing. And how many contradictions in the acid-alkaline food claims were pointed out. People's belief systems need to be challenged so we can keep evolving, which is why none of have the last word, not even me. I have learned that a few of the things I have long believed were wrong as I have researched more on cancer for my book. For example, I had always heard from sources including medical journals that cancer cells generate lactic acid. Come to find out that this is false. I had also always heard that cancer cells were anaerobic. Again, this turned out to be false. But I could have taken the easy way out and not bothered reading the updated research to find this out and just relied on the same old outraced information being spread around the internet to write my book. Point is that a lot of the acid-alkaline hypotheses being promoted are also based on misinformation that just keeps getting recycled by one site posting what another site claimed and adding their own little spin so they don't look like they are plagiarizing the information. That is not what this site is about.

So again, if you feel more comfortable with being where people are only going to tell you want you want to hear then this is not the place for you. There are plenty of acid-alkaline propaganda sites for that. In fact, if you really think about it if a person is only going to accept what they want to hear then they must feel they already have all the answers. They are simply looking for validation to what they believe is true. So why would you come here to ask questions if you already have the answers you want? I do hope you will stay and we can exchange information more. But again, I do allow debate here as long as it is kept civil. So if you do not like having claims challenged then I recommend you do move on. Challenging information in my mind is important since it forces us to review our claims, validate them with real evidence and motivates us to think more and use more common sense. Imagine what this world would have been like if this never happened. Most of what we have and know of today would not exist. Cars, the computer, space travel,........... All of these were thought impossible at one point, so the people who brought us these things had their belief systems challenged and it motivated them to provide the evidence that they were right evolving all of us. Something to think about.

Take care,

James

07-09-2012 06:00 PM
Nancy Offline

James,
Thank you for being such a kind, compassionate, and patient teacher!
Nancy
07-09-2012 07:09 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-09-2012 07:09 PM)Nancy Wrote:  James,
Thank you for being such a kind, compassionate, and patient teacher!
Nancy

Thanks Nancy.Smile

07-09-2012 07:23 PM
Whitey Offline

This is a good forum. I've read many of your replies at CZ and I got so I used to go there and look for your replies on various things, such as the use of DE, etc. There is a lot of confusion there and I seemed to be able to help make up my mind by reading your replies.
07-12-2012 07:11 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-12-2012 07:11 AM)Whitey Wrote:  This is a good forum. I've read many of your replies at CZ and I got so I used to go there and look for your replies on various things, such as the use of DE, etc. There is a lot of confusion there and I seemed to be able to help make up my mind by reading your replies.

I agree there is a lot of confusion. Actually all over the internet. Most of this gets fueled by sales sites that simply repeat misinformation they read on other sales sites, that twist information they find or simply make up whatever "facts" that fit their needs. For example, if you read the iodine boards at all these are one of the worst offenders I have seen. They want to make it sound like iodine is the cure all and that it is as safe as drinking a glass of water. Neither is true. In fact I have seen numerous people post the side effects of taking the excess iodine being recommended. But the sales people keep trying to convince people that their side effects are not from the iodine even though they are classic iodine poisoning symptoms. But the scour the internet looking for anything and everything that even remotely sounds like it is a benefit of iodine. For example, they try to make it sound like iodine deficiency is what causes fibrocystic breast disease, endometriosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome, etc. If you read the progesterone sales sites they make the claim that these conditions are from a lack of progesterone. With fibrocystic breast disease some studies have shown a link between caffeine consumption and FBD, which has nothing to do with iodine. So they hype up the iodine without bothering to provide any real science behind the claims and while trying to convince people their side effects are from something else. In the meantime people read the different hypotheses on what causes these conditions and they have no idea what to believe.

Again this is why I allow civil debate. Debating involves providing evidence to back a claim. As people provide more and more research to back claims this can help back certain theories while weeding out some of the unproven hypotheses.

07-13-2012 04:12 AM