Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BM formation
Msigma Offline

BM formation
Hi...
Sorry this is a little gross -
Most mornings my bm starts out well formed, but towards the end it usually gets softer and breaks apart in the bowel (sometimes into powder). Just wondering if this is normal - possibly due to the newer stuff not having as much water absorbed and not being as compact?

Thanks for any info
07-04-2012 08:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: BM formation
(07-04-2012 08:13 AM)Msigma Wrote:  Hi...
Most mornings my bm starts out well formed, but towards the end it usually gets softer and breaks apart in the bowel (sometimes into powder). Just wondering if this is normal - possibly due to the newer stuff not having as much water absorbed and not being as compact?

Thanks for any info

No this is not normal, and yes you are right. Sounds like over night your digestion is slowing down allowing more time for the water from the stool to be absorbed. When you are awake and active the stool is moving too fast though the intestinal tract preventing as much water absorption.

I would suspect an inflammatory bowel condition such as colitis.

Have you tried re-establishing your intestinal flora with cultured foods and prebiotics?

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-04-2012 04:07 PM
Msigma Offline

(07-04-2012 04:07 PM)James Wrote:  

Thanks for any info

No this is not normal, and yes you are right. Sounds like over night your digestion is slowing down allowing more time for the water from the stool to be absorbed. When you are awake and active the stool is moving too fast though the intestinal tract preventing as much water absorption.

Have you tried re-establishing your intestinal flora with cultured foods and prebiotics?

Yes, taking kefir and rice bran. Started the rice bran about a week ago, taking 2-3 tsp a day now. How much rice bran do you suggest? Also taking florastor and livatone. My digestion is improving but I still have work to do. Anything I can do to slow down the speed of the stool?
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2012 05:55 PM by Msigma.)
07-04-2012 05:49 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-04-2012 05:49 PM)Msigma Wrote:  
(07-04-2012 04:07 PM)James Wrote:  

Thanks for any info

Yes, taking kefir and rice bran. Started the rice bran about a week ago, taking 2-3 tsp a day now. How much rice bran do you suggest?

I recommend increasing that to a tablespoon 3 times daily.

Also taking florastor and livatone.

I looked up the ingredeints on the Florstor and it is very limited. It is just Saccharomyces boulardii and lactose. The Saccharomyces boulardii is a beneficial yeast, but you also need the beneficial bacteria. And if you are lactose intolerant, which is common with a lack of flora, then the lactose in the product can be a problem.

I was asked about the Livatone Plus in the past and here were my reponses:

For the most part it is just a synthetic multivitamin. And the amino acids you readily get from diet. If doing amino acid therapy the amino acids need to be taken on an empty stomach and in most cases separately since amino acids in certain groups compete for absorption.

The primary liver support is in the milk thistle and lecithin, but they are low on the list meaning there is hardly any in the product.

And I would have left out the green tea. In that small of an amount it is not going to really interfere with absorption, but there is not likely enough to do much good either.

All these things in one product? Is it suspicious?

I'm not a big fan in mixing too many things simultaneously.

Many items in a product is not always a bad thing. It does increase the chances of interaction though so the designer really needs to know how those interactions are going to go. The interactions can be beneficial potentiation or they can be adverse such as blocking each other's effects or increasing the toxicity of an ingredient. In this case with the liver formula they are using a lot of amino acids that interfere with each other. And the one ingredient that should have been either the primary ingredient or close to it is low on the list showing a low level of the milk thistle in the product. In my opinion whoever designed this was clueless about the supplements they used.

My digestion is improving but I still have work to do. Anything I can do to slow down the speed of the stool?

If it is an inflammatory condition like I suspect then building the flora back up will be the most important thing you can do.

A mixture of licorice root powder and yucca root powder can also be taken to reduce the intestinal inflammation and support the flora. If you mixed two ounces of licorice root powder to one ounce of yucca root powder then I would recommend a teaspoon before each meal.

07-05-2012 01:21 AM
Msigma Offline

Would DGL Plus from pure encapsulations be helpful?
07-10-2012 07:14 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-10-2012 07:14 PM)Msigma Wrote:  Would DGL Plus from pure encapsulations be helpful?

DGL is licorice root with the steroidal component removed. So it is not going to have the anti-inflammatory effects of actual licorice root. Since it appears that there may be an inflammatory component to your condition you would be better off with actual licorice root.

07-11-2012 04:17 AM
Msigma Offline

I got Licorice Root from Nature's Way (Glycyrrhiza glagra). Is this one ok? The recommended dosage is 2 capsules 3X. Each capsule is 900mg. How much should I take?
Also got Yucca Stalk from Nature's way - is the stalk ok or need the root?
One more thing - when is the best time to take vit c powder and what dosage?
07-12-2012 07:32 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-12-2012 07:32 PM)Msigma Wrote:  I got Licorice Root from Nature's Way (Glycyrrhiza glagra). Is this one ok?

G. glabra is American licorice root. It will work, but I prefer Chinese licorice root G, uralensis. Chinese licorice root is calming while American licorice root is slightly stimulating. Not much of an issue unless someone has severely compromised adrenals since stimulating the central nervous system with poorly functioning adrenals is not a good idea. If the adrenals are in reasonable shape though then this is not a big deal.

The recommended dosage is 2 capsules 3X. Each capsule is 900mg. How much should I take?

That should be 900mg for two capsules. Nature's Way uses single '0' capsules, which cannot hold 900mg. They average 450-500mg each.

I recommend 2 capsules three times daily at least 20 minutes before meals.

Also got Yucca Stalk from Nature's way - is the stalk ok or need the root?

The root is much stronger than the stalk. But I have not seen the root in capsules so you will probably have to buy the powder and capsule it yourself.

One more thing - when is the best time to take vit c powder and what dosage?

Vitamin C powder is best taken with meals. I recommend 500mg 3-4 times daily.

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2012 01:09 AM by James.)
07-13-2012 01:06 PM
Msigma Offline

Thanks James. Is the Chinese licorice sold in capsules or do I need to buy the powder?
07-15-2012 06:20 PM
Cargoshorts Offline

Vitamin C powder is best taken with meals. I recommend 5000mg 3-4 times daily.

James, that sounds a bit high - did you mean to say 500 mg 3-4 times daily?
07-16-2012 02:40 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-15-2012 06:20 PM)Msigma Wrote:  Thanks James. Is the Chinese licorice sold in capsules or do I need to buy the powder?

There may be some companies that sell the Chinese licorice root in capsules, but I don't know of who off hand. American licorice root is more common so you may have a hard time finding it in capsules though. So you may just want to go for the powder. I prefer the powder anyway, especially since it tastes good.

07-18-2012 01:08 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-16-2012 02:40 AM)Cargoshorts Wrote:  Vitamin C powder is best taken with meals. I recommend 5000mg 3-4 times daily.

James, that sounds a bit high - did you mean to say 500 mg 3-4 times daily?

Yes, thanks for catching that. It was supposed to be 500mg, and went back and corrected it. I don't believe in megadosing vitamin C.

07-18-2012 01:14 AM