Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
How to use diatomaceous earth in water
James Offline
Administrator

How to use diatomaceous earth in water

Add a spoon full of food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) to a gallon of water and let it settle out. Leave the excess DE in the container. As you drink the water add more water and let it settle out again. Just keep repeating the fill the jug part and let it settle out. Each time you add more water the water will dissolve tiny amounts of the silica in the DE forming orthosilicic acid.

It does not really matter how much DE you add since the excess silica that is not dissolved will just settle to the bottom. I add a spoonful of silica to a gallon of water, a little over 4 liters, and that lasts years. Although I usually empty it out and start with a new spoonful of silica ever 6 months or so.

This is better than supplements or food sources of silica as silica is poorly absorbed. So taking a larger single dose of silica will just cause most of the silica to pass through the system rather being absorbed. Since silica has to be in the form of orthosilicic acid in order to be absorbed and small frequent doses allow for better absorption the addition of the diatomaceous earth to the water solves both problems.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-04-2012 04:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Whitey Offline

RE: How to use diatomaceous earth in water
Interesting stuff. Thank you.
07-04-2012 11:34 AM
Whitey Offline

This doesn't seem to work for me, I have to add DE more often. It seems as though every 3rd or 4th fill I have to add more DE. Could it be the brand of FGDE I'm using? What brand do you use? Mine is St Gabriel's Organic FGDE.
07-12-2012 12:47 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-12-2012 12:47 PM)Whitey Wrote:  This doesn't seem to work for me, I have to add DE more often. It seems as though every 3rd or 4th fill I have to add more DE. Could it be the brand of FGDE I'm using? What brand do you use? Mine is St Gabriel's Organic FGDE.

That does not make sense since the silica in the DE is not very soluble in water. This is why only traces dissolve in the water. A spoon full of DE should take years to completely dissolve.

Are you sure the DE is completely settling out before you use the water?

I have not heard of St. Gabriel's. I think what I have is Permaguard. I would have to double check the bag to make sure.

07-13-2012 04:40 AM
Whitey Offline

It could be that I'm not letting it settle enough before drinking it. I'll try it again. Thank you.
07-13-2012 12:19 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-13-2012 12:19 PM)Whitey Wrote:  It could be that I'm not letting it settle enough before drinking it. I'll try it again. Thank you.

It can take 3-4 days initially for it to completely settle out. After that it settles out pretty quick. But the water should be completely clear and the DE settled on the bottom. I only drink the water down about a third of the way before adding more water and letting it settle out again. This way the DE does not get disturbed and poured out as happens if the water is mostly removed before adding more water.

07-13-2012 10:58 PM
Whitey Offline

OK thanks.

I'll get a second water jug to use for drinking and cooking water and keep the DE water jug separate. I seem to be getting too much DE. I still have kind of a dry mouth due to DE's vacuuming effect. I was taking up to 1 tsp of DE with the grit for a couple days and it seemed to cause extreme die off symptoms which still have not cleared up. I'm trying to get back to normal before I resume drinking clear DE water. Smile In the meantime, my hair seems to be growing faster and it even seems thicker. One thing I sure don't want is to get the iron from DE.
07-14-2012 06:22 AM
perrinje Offline

I put a 3 liter jug of water plus 1.5 tbsp of FGDE in the fridge a week ago and the water is still cloudy. Could this mean that the DE is not good or should I take the jug out of fridge maybe? (Will the water stay fresh at room temperature?)

Should I only drink the DE water from now on or am I supposed to just drink this as a supplement?
02-16-2014 11:06 PM
Anderson Offline

Interesting information!

Table spoon or tea spoon?
02-22-2014 03:11 PM
Saracatt Offline

Does the DE water have to be kept in the refrigerator? I like to leave my water bottles out on the counter at room temperature. I can't wait to try this.
03-22-2014 12:26 AM
Tom Offline

(02-16-2014 11:06 PM)perrinje Wrote:  I put a 3 liter jug of water plus 1.5 tbsp of FGDE in the fridge a week ago and the water is still cloudy. Could this mean that the DE is not good or should I take the jug out of fridge maybe? (Will the water stay fresh at room temperature?)

Should I only drink the DE water from now on or am I supposed to just drink this as a supplement?

The different grain/mesh sizes of DE particles is a factor on how long it takes to settle (ie. larger ones settle sooner). You may want to invest in a container of water that has a water valve at the bottom to let water through so you dont resuspend the DE each time you pour your water, if your planning on using this long term.

Temperature does affect the saturation of the silica, but not settling rates. I there should be a much difference between the fridge and room temperature.

Don't stress over this stuff. The fridge should be fine, let the particles settle before touching the bottle and resuspending the particles.
03-22-2014 12:23 PM
Tom Offline

(03-22-2014 12:26 AM)Saracatt Wrote:  Does the DE water have to be kept in the refrigerator? I like to leave my water bottles out on the counter at room temperature. I can't wait to try this.

Hi Saracatt,

I don't think it should matter much if its in the fridge or room temperature. DE is inorganic, think of it as a salt. It's based on your preference on the temperature of the water.
03-22-2014 12:27 PM
Anderson Offline

Does the reaction between silica and water happen immediately or it takes time?

If it happens immediately then drinking the water while it's still a little cloudy wouldn't be a problem, would it?
04-12-2014 03:53 AM
Tom Offline

(04-12-2014 03:53 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Does the reaction between silica and water happen immediately or it takes time?

If it happens immediately then drinking the water while it's still a little cloudy wouldn't be a problem, would it?

To clarify, food grade DE (depending on the source) contains amorphous silica which is water soluble and has a lot of benefits.

The food grade DE also contains insoluble fossilized exoskeletons in water, that may have benefits as well.

I have heard of people drinking their water right after after stirring it with DE, claiming that the sharp points of the exoskeletons scrubs intestinal walls and cuts up any parasites present in the digestive tract. However, you have to keep in mind that it is also cutting the surface of the intestine if it has the same effect.

That's why I think its better if you let it settle and drink the decanted water containing the dissolved silica and other mineral nutrients.
04-12-2014 09:34 AM
Anderson Offline

(04-12-2014 09:34 AM)Tom Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 03:53 AM)Anderson Wrote:  Does the reaction between silica and water happen immediately or it takes time?

To clarify, food grade DE (depending on the source) contains amorphous silica which is water soluble and has a lot of benefits.

The food grade DE also contains insoluble fossilized exoskeletons in water, that may have benefits as well.

I have heard of people drinking their water right after after stirring it with DE, claiming that the sharp points of the exoskeletons scrubs intestinal walls and cuts up any parasites present in the digestive tract. However, you have to keep in mind that it is also cutting the surface of the intestine if it has the same effect.

That's why I think its better if you let it settle and drink the decanted water containing the dissolved silica and other mineral nutrients.

According to James there is no risk of DE cutting the walls of human intestines.
06-09-2014 07:59 AM