Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advice on labs
teenee65 Offline

Advice on labs
Hi James!

I am so thankful that you started this forum. You have been such a wealth of information and great help to me. Thank you for your time and wisdom. Smile

Would you mind giving me some advice on my recent labs:

Red count: 3.74 (3.8 - 5.1)
MCV: 95.2 (80 - 100)
Ferritin 11 (10 - 232)
Thyroid antibodies: 17 (<35)
T3 free 2.6 (2.3 - 4.2)
T4 free 1.0 (.8 - 1.8)
TSH 4.90 (.4 - 4.5)
B12 >2000 (200 - 1100)
D 34 (30 - 100)

My adrenals are doing better but it appears my thyroid is still not working so well and it looks like possible anemia. My last labs showed similar numbers. My doctor doesn't feel confident in the Schilling test so he suggested reacted iron or iron diglycinate (sp). I was wondering if I took 1 tsp nettle powder twice a day and was more consistant with adding in seaweed and sprouts and took a spirulina tablet if that might help boost the iron and other minerals (I think I remember you not being a fan of spirulina...). For the thyroid, he suggested Thyrosol (Metagenics).

http://www.vitacost.com/metagenics-thyrosol

Serving Size: 1 Tablet
Vitamin A (as retinyl palmitate) 3000 IU
Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 400 IU
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl succinate) 100 IU
Riboflavin 3 mg
Niacin (as niacinamide) 4.5 mg
Iodine (as potassium iodide) 76 mcg
Zinc (as zinc glycinate†) 10 mg
Selenium (as selenomethionine) 150 mcg
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) Leaf Extract [standardized to 11% min phenolic diterpenes and 7.6% min sum of carnosol + carnosic acid] 79 mg

Would you mind giving me your thoughts on this??

Thanks so much James.
07-03-2012 07:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Advice on labs
(07-03-2012 07:45 AM)teenee65 Wrote:  Hi James!

I am so thankful that you started this forum. You have been such a wealth of information and great help to me. Thank you for your time and wisdom. Smile

Thanks.

Would you mind giving me some advice on my recent labs:

Red count: 3.74 (3.8 - 5.1)
MCV: 95.2 (80 - 100)
Ferritin 11 (10 - 232)
Thyroid antibodies: 17 (<35)
T3 free 2.6 (2.3 - 4.2)
T4 free 1.0 (.8 - 1.8)
TSH 4.90 (.4 - 4.5)
B12 >2000 (200 - 1100)
D 34 (30 - 100)

My adrenals are doing better but it appears my thyroid is still not working so well and it looks like possible anemia.

Yes, your thyroid appears low and it does appear you are a little anemic, but it does not look like iron deficiency anemia. Looks more like a B12 deficiency anemia. Several things can contribute to this including a vegetarian diet, low stomach acid or pernicious anemia.

You may want to try taking a sublingual B12, 500mcg 3 times a week, to build back up your B12 stores. B12 is stored in the liver, which normally stores a 2 to 6 year supply. Therefore, B12 deficiency anemias tend to be a slowly progressive disorder.

Since B12 is also stored and slowly released regular supplementation is not required.

Make sure the B12 is in a sublingual (under the tongue) form though to bypass the need for sufficient stomach acid and intrinsic factor for absorption. Also make sure the B12 is in the active methylcobalamin, not the inactive cyanocobalamin.

My last labs showed similar numbers. My doctor doesn't feel confident in the Schilling test so he suggested reacted iron or iron diglycinate (sp). I was wondering if I took 1 tsp nettle powder twice a day

I do prefer nettle leaf. It is not constipating like iron supplements and it provides numerous other benefits to the body including thyroid support.

and was more consistant with adding in seaweed and sprouts and took a spirulina tablet if that might help boost the iron and other minerals (I think I remember you not being a fan of spirulina...).

It's not spirulina I dislike. It is a different blue-green "algae" harvested from Klamath Lake, Oregon known as A. flos-aquae. This is actually a very toxic cyanobacteria harvested from the highly polluted Klamath Lake.

For the thyroid, he suggested Thyrosol (Metagenics).

http://www.vitacost.com/metagenics-thyrosol

Serving Size: 1 Tablet
Vitamin A (as retinyl palmitate) 3000 IU
Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 400 IU
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl succinate) 100 IU
Riboflavin 3 mg
Niacin (as niacinamide) 4.5 mg
Iodine (as potassium iodide) 76 mcg
Zinc (as zinc glycinate†) 10 mg
Selenium (as selenomethionine) 150 mcg
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) Leaf Extract [standardized to 11% min phenolic diterpenes and 7.6% min sum of carnosol + carnosic acid] 79 mg

Would you mind giving me your thoughts on this??

It is very limited. It provides the iodine needed for the thyroid along with some of the accessory nutrients. The rosemary is a strong antioxidant. But the formula does not provide tyrosine needed to form thyroid hormones, herbs to help with the iodine uptake by cells, herbs to help with T4 to T3 conversion or to support the glands that feedback with the thyroid, etc.

Thanks so much James.

You're welcome.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
07-03-2012 07:12 PM
teenee65 Offline

You may want to try taking a sublingual B12, 500mcg 3 times a week, to build back up your B12 stores. B12 is stored in the liver, which normally stores a 2 to 6 year supply. Therefore, B12 deficiency anemias tend to be a slowly progressive disorder.

Since B12 is also stored and slowly released regular supplementation is not required.

*** Could malabsorption cause something like pernicious anemia? How long would you recommend taking the sublingual B12? Did you mean 500 mcg or 5000?

I do prefer nettle leaf. It is not constipating like iron supplements and it provides numerous other benefits to the body including thyroid support.

and was more consistant with adding in seaweed and sprouts and took a spirulina tablet if that might help boost the iron and other minerals (I think I remember you not being a fan of spirulina...).

It's not spirulina I dislike. It is a different blue-green "algae" harvested from Klamath Lake, Oregon known as A. flos-aquae. This is actually a very toxic cyanobacteria harvested from the highly polluted Klamath Lake.

*** Would sprouts, seaweed and spirulina help at all?

It is very limited. It provides the iodine needed for the thyroid along with some of the accessory nutrients. The rosemary is a strong antioxidant. But the formula does not provide tyrosine needed to form thyroid hormones, herbs to help with the iodine uptake by cells, herbs to help with T4 to T3 conversion or to support the glands that feedback with the thyroid, etc.

*** What would you recommend in addition to the Thyrosol? Which herbs would you suggest? What dosage of tyrosine do you recommend and for how long?

***thanks again, James.
07-04-2012 06:29 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-04-2012 06:29 AM)teenee65 Wrote:  You may want to try taking a sublingual B12, 500mcg 3 times a week, to build back up your B12 stores. B12 is stored in the liver, which normally stores a 2 to 6 year supply. Therefore, B12 deficiency anemias tend to be a slowly progressive disorder.

*** Could malabsorption cause something like pernicious anemia? How long would you recommend taking the sublingual B12? Did you mean 500 mcg or 5000?

Pernicious anemia is actually an autoimmune disorder so it is not from malnutrition.

As for the B12 they make a 5,000mg sublingual. But again you are not going to take it every day. I just want to give a quick boost to your B12 levels.

*** Would sprouts, seaweed and spirulina help at all?

The seaweeds are good for the glands, especially the thyroid. And provides a lot of nutrition. Spirulina is fairly nutritious as well. Sprouts not so much. And none are that high in iron.

*** What would you recommend in addition to the Thyrosol? Which herbs would you suggest? What dosage of tyrosine do you recommend and for how long?

***thanks again, James.

The uptake of iodine by cells is regulated by cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP). My favorite herb for increasing cAMP is coleus forskohlii.

As for tyrosine I recommend 500mg 3 times daily at least 30 minutes before meals. It takes a few weeks to build up. After a couple of weeks you can cut back to once a day for maintenance.

07-04-2012 07:34 AM
teenee65 Offline

Thank you James.

Is there an approximate number of weeks that I should take the 5,000 mg B12 for? Or something I could be watching for that would indicate it is time to stop?

Have a wonderful fourth of July.

Sorry - one more...

I found L Tyrosine and N Acetyl Tyrosine (more bioavailable). Both state taking on empty stomach (with juice). The N Acetyl version has B6 in it which has irritated my stomach before. Should I stick with the plain ole L Tyrosine version?

Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2012 09:51 AM by teenee65.)
07-04-2012 09:36 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-04-2012 09:36 AM)teenee65 Wrote:  Thank you James.

Is there an approximate number of weeks that I should take the 5,000 mg B12 for? Or something I could be watching for that would indicate it is time to stop?

If you took it three times a week for a month or two this should get your stores up, then maybe cut back to once a week. B12 is pretty safe so you are not likely to overdose, but excess is also a waste. Main thing is to get your liver stores back up.

Have a wonderful fourth of July.

Thanks, you too. Its actually raining here so don't know if I will be doing much.

Sorry - one more...

I found L Tyrosine and N Acetyl Tyrosine (more bioavailable). Both state taking on empty stomach (with juice). The N Acetyl version has B6 in it which has irritated my stomach before. Should I stick with the plain ole L Tyrosine version?

Smile

I have always just used the plain old tyrosine on an empty stomach. Without the competition from other amino acids it should absorb fine.

07-04-2012 05:05 PM
teenee65 Offline

Thank you James. Sorry about the rain. Sad
07-04-2012 07:22 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-04-2012 07:22 PM)teenee65 Wrote:  Thank you James. Sorry about the rain. Sad

The rain stopped and the people across the street actually put on quite a fireworks show. So I went out and watched that for a while.

07-05-2012 05:10 AM