Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gallstone/Gallbladder Symptoms
MarciGal Offline

Gallstone/Gallbladder Symptoms
Ok, I'll be the first to post here since I'm dealing with gallbladder stones/sludge/symptoms.

I am trying to 'pin down' any offending foods/beverages but so far I haven't been able to do that. I can eat things just fine and then one meal ... BAM ... I'm in severe pain and ready to hit the E.R.! It's happening more often despite efforts to heal it and my doc keeps pushing me to remove the gallbladder. I must admit when the pain is in full swing, it's like being in labor and I just want to scream "GET THIS THING OUT OF ME!"

Epsom Salts in warm water usually stops all the pain within 20-30 minutes so I guess it's relaxing the ducts, but I can't live like this.

Been a 'health nut' for a decade now and I do the TMG, lethicin, digestive grape bitters, coconut oil, vitamins, fish oil, chromium, more sups than I care to list. Trying to cut back on the fats & oils even tho I believe they're healthy and the GB needs to keep working. It's gotten so bad every time I eat I'm wondering if I'll have an 'attack'!

Bottom line: Is GB surgery really the best option when one has stones/sludge/severe pain? What if I have it removed and it turns out it wasn't the GB? Then I'm back to square one only without a GB!

Any advice/suggestions/personal experiences with this ... ? Huh

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
06-28-2012 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
James Offline
Administrator

RE: Gallstone/Gallbladder Symptoms
(06-28-2012 02:49 PM)MarciGal Wrote:  Ok, I'll be the first to post here since I'm dealing with gallbladder stones/sludge/symptoms.

I am trying to 'pin down' any offending foods/beverages but so far I haven't been able to do that. I can eat things just fine and then one meal ... BAM ... I'm in severe pain and ready to hit the E.R.! It's happening more often despite efforts to heal it and my doc keeps pushing me to remove the gallbladder. I must admit when the pain is in full swing, it's like being in labor and I just want to scream "GET THIS THING OUT OF ME!"

Epsom Salts in warm water usually stops all the pain within 20-30 minutes so I guess it's relaxing the ducts, but I can't live like this.

Not just the ducts, but also the gallbladder itself. This may stop the pain, but it can also promote bile stasis aggravating the problem in the long run.

Been a 'health nut' for a decade now and I do the TMG, lethicin, digestive grape bitters, coconut oil, vitamins, fish oil, chromium, more sups than I care to list. Trying to cut back on the fats & oils even tho I believe they're healthy and the GB needs to keep working. It's gotten so bad every time I eat I'm wondering if I'll have an 'attack'!

Sludge and gallstones are one of those things with multiple causes.

Most gallstones are formed from precipitated cholesterol. Basically the bile can only dissolve a certain amount of cholesterol. If the amount of cholesterol entering the bile exceeds the dissolving capacity of the bile then the excess cholesterol precipitates out forming sludge that can eventually grow in size in to stones.

Women are more prone to gallstones that men due to their hormones. Higher estrogen increases the release of cholesterol in to the bile. Progesterone is a smooth muscle relaxant and therefore reduces gallbladder contraction leading to increased bile stasis and thus more supersaturation of the bile with cholesterol.

Many things effect the hormone levels including the function of the liver, the intestinal flora the use of birth control pills or estrogen replacement therapy, the use of the so-called "bioidentical hormones" and the amount of body fat since this is also a source of hormone production.

If the problem is not associated with any of the above mentioned then the next thing to look at is other factors that can cause decreased gallbladder contractility such as drugs known as calcium channel blockers often prescribed for conditions such as high blood pressure or migraines.

Bottom line: Is GB surgery really the best option when one has stones/sludge/severe pain?

In my opinion? No. Removal of the gallbladder leads to number of other health issues including chronic diarrhea, decreased ability to digest and absorb dietary fats and an increased risk of intestinal cancer.

In addition, taking out the gallbladder does not address the cause of the problem. This is like taking the engine out of a car to stop an oil leak.

What if I have it removed and it turns out it wasn't the GB? Then I'm back to square one only without a GB!

Yes, that is a good point as well.

You really need to look at the possible contributing factors such as hormones and medications to see how they can be addressed.

Something else you may want to try is jiaogulan (Gynostemma) tea, which not only acts as a bitter to help increase bile release, but it is also extremely rich in cholesterol binding sterols. The sterols will bind cholesterol from diet, as well as bile cholesterol in the intestine preventing its reabsroption. This can in turn reduce bile cholesterol.

I also recommend increasing your intake of fibers to help with bile production. In particular rice or oat brans that are also high in B vitamins to help the liver with detoxifying the hormones.

One other thing is to check your basal body temperature to see where your thyroid is at. Low thyroid function increases cholesterol levels as well increasing amount of cholesterol that can enter the bile. Low thyroid can also lead to weight gain that in turn increases estrogen production, which in turn increases cholesterol deposition in to the gallbladder.

Any advice/suggestions/personal experiences with this ... ? Huh

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
06-29-2012 07:00 PM
Joe Offline

RE: Gallstone/Gallbladder Symptoms
Herbs can be used to promote the health of the liver and gallbladder, and dissolve gallstones.

I suggest taking Globe artichoke, and Silybum marianum, commonly called Milk thistle or St Mary's thistle, to promote the health of the liver and gallbladder.

You can use Dandelion and other bitter herbs to promote increased flow of bile, and dissolve gallstones.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2012 12:29 AM by Joe.)
06-30-2012 12:28 AM