Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Acidosis myths
James Offline
Administrator

Acidosis myths
The body RARELY ever goes acidic. The acidity causing disease claims is really a myth. The body cannot survive if it becomes too acidic, or too alkaline. In fact a pH higher than 7.8 or lower than 6.8 will kill a person. This is why the body has so many redundant systems to maintain its narrow pH it can survive in. For example, breathing adjusts pH. If the body starts to get acidic our respiration increases to blow off CO2, which reduces carbonic acid, and the oxygen reduces acidic lactate. If the body starts to become too alkaline the respiration slows down to retain CO2, increasing carbonic acid. The body also generates bicarbonate to deal with acidity, can excrete hydrogen ions, carbonic acid or bicarbonate out through the urine or retain them to adjust pH. The body also uses phosphates and hemoglobin as buffers and in extreme cases can pull minerals from the bones as a buffer against acidity. Our pH is also regulated by proteins that can either bond or release hydrogen ions in response to pH imbalances. Here are some references for you:

http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869R/CHEM86...ntrol.html

http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edudev/L...uffer.html

This is why we rarely see acidosis (overly acidic blood) or alkalosis (overly alkaline blood). Acute acidosis can occur with severe vomiting and diarrhea, ketoacidosis, inadequate oxygen intake or utilization (respiratory acidosis), rhabdomyolosis, kidney failure and by poisoning with certain chemicals. Acute alkalosis can occur with over consumption of hydroxides including alkaline waters, consumption of milk with hydroxides, overuse of carbonates such as antacids or baking soda, prolonged vomiting, excessive aldosterone secretion, diuretic use and hyperventilation.

The pH of the lymphatic system is kept slightly more alkaline than the blood, so lymphatic acidosis does not occur.

Because chronic acidosis is so rare and diseases are so common even common sense should tell us that acidosis is not a cause of most diseases. Most often it is a byproduct of a disease, not a cause. So anyone who is going to claim that acidity is the cause of most or all diseases does not have a clue what they are talking about.

In fact we need a large number of acids to survive and thrive. These include hydrochloric acid, pyruvic acid, acetic acid, carbonic acid, hyaluronic acid, glucuronic acid, malic acid, lactic acid, citric acid, uric acid, fatty acids, amino acids, ascorbic acid, pantothenic acid, folic acid, etc.

And most pathogens are killed by acids and thrive in an alkaline environment. This is why the parts of the body that help protect us from pathogens are normally acidic. These include the skin, stomach, intestines and sinuses.

http://www.MountainMistBotanicals.com
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013 08:44 AM by James.)
06-27-2012 03:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Joe Offline

RE: The myth of chronic acidosis
I agree with a lot of what you said. But

People can have an acidic body, and acids can accumulate in various places and cause pain. An example of a disorder caused by acidity is gout.
06-28-2012 04:36 AM
James Offline
Administrator

(06-28-2012 04:36 AM)Joe Wrote:  I agree with a lot of what you said. But

People can have an acidic body, and acids can accumulate in various places and cause pain. An example of a disorder caused by acidity is gout.

People can have an acidic system as in acidosis, but as I pointed out this is extremely rare.

Also keep in mind that various parts of the body need to be acidic to be healthy in the first place.

As for gout, yes uric acid can accumulate in excess leading to problems such as gout. This is not the same as acidosis though. acidosis is defined by a drop in blood pH, not an accumulation of uric acid in the joints.

Speaking of uric acid it should also be pointed out that uric acid is one of the body's primary antioxidants. It is only when uric acid is in excess that it can be a problem.

06-28-2012 05:53 AM
Joe Offline

James, you don't fully understand this, and you have come to some wrong conclusions. Which raises the question:

How do we determine what is correct?

On another website, some people are promoting iodine supplements, and say undesired effects from taking iodine are extremely rare. If you say, taking too much iodine can have harmful effects, they just say you are wrong.

Some people just agree with people they like. But people they like can be wrong. Some people quote another website. But another website can be wrong. You can read it in a book. But the book can be wrong.

This is a really important issue, because the people who get it right can do a lot of good. The people who get it wrong, finish up in fantasy land.

Back to acidosis

Gout does occur as a result of an acidic body. When the body's internal mechanisms cannot correct this, the acid accumulates in certain places, and the person has gout. Gout does not occur in people with an alkaline internal chemistry. It only occurs in people with an acidic internal chemistry.

There are many different forms of arthritis, and they are not all the same. But a large proportion of people with arthritis, have an acidic internal body chemistry.

If you talk about people who have an internal body chemistry which is just slightly more acidic than ideal, that is a significant proportion of the population.

James. I challenge you to keep an open mind on this subject, and learn more.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2012 09:50 PM by Joe.)
07-06-2012 09:49 PM
James Offline
Administrator

(07-06-2012 09:49 PM)Joe Wrote:  James, you don't fully understand this, and you have come to some wrong conclusions.

If you are going to say I am incorrect then show me why. As I said about this site I am fine with debate as long as people are actually debating and it is kept civil. Debate involves taking a stance and providing evidence to back that stance. Simply claiming someone is wrong is not debate and actually shows the opposing party has no evidence to come back with. Therefore, if a person cannot provide evidence to the contrary they automatically lose the debate since there is no evidence to prove the other person wrong.

Which raises the question:

If you don't know then how do you know I came to the wrong conclusion?

On another website, some people are promoting iodine supplements, and say undesired effects from taking iodine are extremely rare. If you say, taking too much iodine can have harmful effects, they just say you are wrong.

If you read through that same website you will see a lot of people complaining of well known symptoms of iodine toxicity. But the people selling the iodine keep claiming that it is not the iodine causing these problems yet they also don't know why they are having the problem. Yet, ironically they always tell the people to do "salt flushes". What do salt flushes do? They push out excess iodine, the same excess iodine they are telling people is not causing their toxic symptoms.

There denial of the cause yet claiming they don't know the cause is like my friend who kept developing white blood clots (white thrombus syndrome) from the intact proteins she was absorbing due to having her stomach and gallbladder completely removed. It is well known that foreign proteins can cause white thrombus syndrome, for example with the use of the blood thinning protein heparin derived from pig lungs. When I told the doctor this he said that this is not what was causing the blood clots but had no idea what was causing the blood clots. All he had to do is to do the research to find the truth. Just like the people poisoning themselves with excess iodine should do and just like the people who believe the myths of the acid-alkaline hypothesis should do.

For example, I just addressed some of the myths a few minutes ago:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread....6&pid=#pid

Post #8. So we can clearly see that a lot of false claims have been made up to build this acid-alkaline hypothesis.

Some people just agree with people they like. But people they like can be wrong. Some people quote another website. But another website can be wrong. You can read it in a book. But the book can be wrong.

And those people and sources can also be correct. But people need to do some real research from credible, non-sales sites. And even more importantly they need to use some common sense. For example, going back to the iodine. If a person is taking doses of iodine well in excess of what the recommended safety limits are (note I did not say the RDA, which is the minimum required) and they suddenly start developing symptoms that are reported in non-sales sites as being symptoms of iodine toxicity then common sense does not dictate ignoring the reported side effects and asking the people about the symptoms who simply want to sell you more iodine to poison yourself more with!

That depends. When it comes to the acid alkaline thing do you want to listen to people who cannot explain why foods that are high in acids or cause acids are alkaline while foods like stevia that have no metabolized sugars and provide alkaline minerals is considered acidic. Or do you want to learn how the body really metabolizes these substances and how the body actually regulates its pH to see how acids and alkaline substances are actually dealt with by the body? You don't have to listen to me. You can go look at some anatomy and physiology books and research the medical studies to verify what I am saying. Or you can choose to keep getting your health information from sales sites that are merely repeating the same misinformation that they got from some other sales site, who got their misinformation from some other sales site............

Its like how many websites out there are still claiming that Otto Warburg claimed that the cause of cancer was a lack of oxygen? I have seen tons of websites and articles repeating this myth. What Warburg said is that he thought there was a defect in the respiratory mechanism within cancer cells, which by the way has since been disproven, and this would cause the cancer cells to continue to ferment regardless of how much oxygen is present.

But again, people just repeat the same misrepresentations they read on some other site without ever bothering to research the original claims to see if they are true to begin with. Maybe them are too lazy to do it, maybe they don't know how to do it or maybe they just see what will fit their needs and so see no reason to find out if the claims are true.

This is a really important issue, because the people who get it right can do a lot of good. The people who get it wrong, finish up in fantasy land.

People who get it wrong can end up with an empty wallet and a lot more health issues than they started with.

For example, the whole alkalize for health thing has led to the introduction of a lot of dangerous products. I have addressed one in my post on Kangen water. To make this water the machines, that cost something like $5,000, require mineralized water. Why, because the alkalinity of the water is from the mineral hydroxides formed. There are several problems with this. To start with hydroxides are very caustic and burn the tissues. For example, Milk of Magnesia is sold as a laxative because its ingredient magnesium hydroxide burns the intestinal wall. This leads to an influx of water in to the intestines and increased peristalsis. Burning the intestinal wall regularly though not only causes the obvious tissue damage but also increases the risk of cancer from the inflammation.

Another problem with alkaline waters like this is that they neutralize the stomach acid. Kangen claims the stomach acid will simply rebound, but this is not true. Many of the nutrients needed to form stomach acid are dependent on stomach acid for absorption. Therefore, reducing stomach acidity leads to interference with the body's ability to generate more stomach acid. A lack of stomach acid not only leads to a decreased ability to absorb some vitamins but also the minerals people are claiming we need to alkalize. A lack of stomach acid also interferes with protein breakdown that can lead to leaky gut and allergic responses. Stomach acid also protects us from pathogens entering through the gut. This is why wild dogs can eat old rotting meat that would make a human sick. Wild dogs produce stomach acid in levels well above a human, which kills the bacteria and other pathogens on the meats. Another problem goes back to the vitamins that are acid dependent for absorption. These vitamins are also required for the production of the methyl donor SAMe, which reduces inflammatory homocysteine linked to diseases such as heart disease and cancer.

If you check the Kangen sales site though they claim that their water is pretty much a cure all. Of course they also claim that their machines are also approved by the Japanese Ministry of Health. If you copy the tiny little picture of the document they provide though and enlarge it in another program such as Publisher or Photoshop we find that the document has NOTHING to do with the Japanese Ministry of Health. The document is from the Japanese equivalent of our business license division. The document is nothing more than a license by the government to build the machines. Is it any wonder I prefer to rely on credible sites and not sales sites to get my health information?

Back to acidosis

Gout does occur as a result of an acidic body. When the body's internal mechanisms cannot correct this, the acid accumulates in certain places, and the person has gout. Gout does not occur in people with an alkaline internal chemistry. It only occurs in people with an acidic internal chemistry.

This is not even close to being true. If that were the case then the rare people we see with chronic acidosis such as COPD patients would all have gout?

Gout actually has a number of causes including genetic defects, hypothyroidism, hemolytic anemia, diuretics, high purine intake, alcohol, etc.

There are many different forms of arthritis, and they are not all the same. But a large proportion of people with arthritis, have an acidic internal body chemistry.

Again not even close to being true. The simple fact that the body rarely ever goes acidic is enough to prove this. The body maintains tight control on its pH pretty much regardless of what we eat. The ONLY way diet can directly influence our pH is if the person consumes an excessive amount of an actual acid source or an alkalizer so that these substances completely overwhelm the body's buffering systems. That is very difficult to do. Simply eating a pound of steak or a pound of greens is not going to do it.

Some forms of arthritis are due to injuries. Some autoimmunity. Many from infections. The only arthritis I can think of associated with acid is gout, which again has numerous causes. But simply having acid in the blood does not mean one will develop gout. And since acidosis is considerably more rare than gout things are not adding up in your claim.

If you talk about people who have an internal body chemistry which is just slightly more acidic than ideal, that is a significant proportion of the population.

Again not true. Do you want to guess how many lab tests I have looked at in my life? And want to guess at how rarely I have seen anyone's blood pH test even slightly acidic? Unfortunately, a lot of the alkaline supporters incorrectly think that salivary or urinary pH reflect blood pH. They don't!!! That is just more sales hype. The only way to determine blood pH is with a blood analysis. And this can change significantly in a matter of seconds.

As I keep trying to explain the body cannot only survive in a VERY NARROW pH range. Therefore, the body has developed multiple, redundant systems to maintain its pH. This is why both acidosis and alkalosis are so EXTREMELY rare.

And as I have pointed out before alkalosis is more dangerous than acidosis since the body has less means to combat alkalosis than it does to combat acidosis.

Here is a question for you. Why is it athletes, who spend more time being acidic than most other groups tend to be healthier that the vegetarians I have known that are eating all those "alkalizing" vegetables?

James. I challenge you to keep an open mind on this subject, and learn more.

And I challenge you to do the same. Start doing some real research from credible sites as I have been doing for years.

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2012 10:35 AM by James.)
07-07-2012 10:08 AM