MedCapsules Forum
Hormone Balancing Article - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: Hormone Balancing Article (/showthread.php?tid=5325)

Hormone Balancing Article - teenee65 - 12-06-2013 08:46 AM

Hi James,

Hope this finds you doing well. Would it be possible to get a copy of your hormone balancing article?

Thanks!

Tina

RE: Hormone Balancing Article - IowaRacer - 12-06-2013 02:00 PM

(12-06-2013 08:46 AM)teenee65 Wrote:  Hi James,

Hope this finds you doing well. Would it be possible to get a copy of your hormone balancing article?

Thanks!

Tina

http://medcapsules.com/info/Hormone_Balance.htm

RE: Hormone Balancing Article - teenee65 - 12-06-2013 02:27 PM

Thank you!

RE: Hormone Balancing Article - IowaRacer - 12-10-2013 09:48 AM

I gave my wife this article to read, and she had a couple questions:

1. Is this hormone balance more for women already going thru menopause?
2. It seems this is geared towards too much estrogen and/or not enough progestrone. How do you determine if this is the balanced direction you need to go?

She is 39, athletic and has low body fat. She has regular periods (every 24 days), but has spotting a few days before her actual period, plus experiences PMS symptoms of cramping and irritability. She also gets one big pimple(acne) on her chin below the mouth every month. She may also fall into the category of having difficulty sleeping. Overall, she has a good libido and is concerned about the warnings for taking vitex.

Currently takes a whole-food multi vitamin for women, and a jiaogulan supplement.

Thanks for any advice you may give.

RE: Hormone Balancing Article - James - 12-31-2013 05:56 AM

(12-10-2013 09:48 AM)IowaRacer Wrote:  I gave my wife this article to read, and she had a couple questions:

1. Is this hormone balance more for women already going thru menopause?
2. It seems this is geared towards too much estrogen and/or not enough progestrone. How do you determine if this is the balanced direction you need to go?

She is 39, athletic and has low body fat. She has regular periods (every 24 days), but has spotting a few days before her actual period, plus experiences PMS symptoms of cramping and irritability. She also gets one big pimple(acne) on her chin below the mouth every month. She may also fall into the category of having difficulty sleeping. Overall, she has a good libido and is concerned about the warnings for taking vitex.

Currently takes a whole-food multi vitamin for women, and a jiaogulan supplement.

Thanks for any advice you may give.

The hormone balancing is for both pre and post-menopausal women.

She needs to be really careful about screwing with progesterone. Progesterone has many very nasty side effects including weight gain, loss of libido, increased aggression, cancer, etc. Don't listen to all the sales hype.

If you do a search for progesterone on this site I believe I posted various articles on the dangers already.

RE: Hormone Balancing Article - IowaRacer - 12-31-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:She needs to be really careful about screwing with progesterone. Progesterone has many very nasty side effects including weight gain, loss of libido, increased aggression, cancer, etc. Don't listen to all the sales hype.

I did the research as you suggested, and think I am more confused than before. Below are two posts you previously did:

What you have not been told about progesterone dangers
There are some VERY RARE circumstances where I will recommend progesterone, such as extreme cases of endometriosis. Even at that I only recommend small doses, and for no longer than 28 days over a two month period. Progesterone creams present a host of problems that the sales sites don’t want to mention. For example, the fact that I mentioned earlier about hormones storing in the fat tissues of the body. Because progesterone is cleared so slowly from the fat tissues the progesterone is cumulative with regular use. Women using progesterone creams long term actually accumulate extremely high levels of progesterone in their fat tissues leading to a condition known as progesterone dominance. In fact it has been estimated that many women that used progesterone creams on a regular basis can have up to a 6 year supply of progesterone stored in their fat tissue.

Progesterone dominance has many of the same side effects as estrogen dominance. These include weight gain, energy loss, insomnia, and depression, which can become sever enough to lead to suicidal thoughts. Other side effects include increased aggression, breast tenderness, loss of libido, acne, acid reflux, gallstones and fertility problems. Progesterone also promotes a number of cancers as it is known to activate human papilloma viruses. These viruses are best known for causing cervical cancer. What most people are unaware of is that they have also been linked to breast, prostate, nasopharyngeal and skin cancers.

Progesterone creams should only be used in very rare cases, such as extreme cases of endometriosis. And even with these rare cases these creams should only be used on a very short term basis. Using them long term or in high doses will only get a person from the frying pan in to the fire as they create a completely new and very dangerous hormone imbalance.

Tips on balancing the hormones
The most important thing someone can do if they have a hormone imbalance is to cleanse their liver. And I do not mean with the olive oil, lemon juice and magnesium flushes. All these do is allow people to create pseudo-gallstones from the chemical reaction of the olive oil and lemon juice. When I say liver cleanse I mean with digestive bitters. Bitters are bitter tasting herbs that stimulate the bitter receptors on the tongue. When this happens the vagus nerve is stimulated, which causes the liver to flush. For this reason it is important to drink plenty of water throughout the day when using them to prevent from getting sick. Large doses are not needed. You only need to be able to taste them, so a small amount on the tongue several times a week is sufficient. The reason that cleansing the liver is so important is that the liver is a primary regulator for the hormones. If hormone levels are too high this indicates that the liver is not doing its job of breaking them down properly.

A couple of other suggestions include maintaining the intestinal flora, eating more phytoestrogen rich foods, and avoid foods that tend to have actual estrogens like beef, chicken, and dairy. The intestinal flora are aided by fiber sources, which it feeds on. The flora help to further break down estrogen metabolites and aid in their elimination. Phytoestrogens are extremely weak estrogen-like compounds:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2368

They antagonize stronger estrogens by locking up estrogen receptors. This blocks the actions of stronger estrogens produced by the body, and those from the environment and foods. In fact that is what the DIM you are taking is doing.

Focusing on the adrenals is also important as they also produce sex hormones to help cushion the hormonal shift that occurs with menopause, either natural or surgical.

Vitex (chaste tree berry) and wild yam are also good choices. Vitex helps the body to produce the progesterone the body needs rather than overloading it with progesterone like progesterone creams can do. Vitex is slow to take effect though. You have to be consistent with it for at least a couple of months to start seeing benefits. Wild yam has a very weak progesterone-like effect. It is also very supportive to the adrenal glands.

Your balance article implies that taking Vitex is a good thing, and the 2nd past post above reiterates that. Are you refering to not using creams, even though your balance article says to use them, but vitex is ok as it is more subtle on the body?

RE: Hormone Balancing Article - James - 05-05-2014 12:32 AM

(12-31-2013 10:17 AM)IowaRacer Wrote:  
Quote:She needs to be really careful about screwing with progesterone. Progesterone has many very nasty side effects including weight gain, loss of libido, increased aggression, cancer, etc. Don't listen to all the sales hype.

I did the research as you suggested, and think I am more confused than before. Below are two posts you previously did:

What you have not been told about progesterone dangers
There are some VERY RARE circumstances where I will recommend progesterone, such as extreme cases of endometriosis. Even at that I only recommend small doses, and for no longer than 28 days over a two month period. Progesterone creams present a host of problems that the sales sites don’t want to mention. For example, the fact that I mentioned earlier about hormones storing in the fat tissues of the body. Because progesterone is cleared so slowly from the fat tissues the progesterone is cumulative with regular use. Women using progesterone creams long term actually accumulate extremely high levels of progesterone in their fat tissues leading to a condition known as progesterone dominance. In fact it has been estimated that many women that used progesterone creams on a regular basis can have up to a 6 year supply of progesterone stored in their fat tissue.

Progesterone dominance has many of the same side effects as estrogen dominance. These include weight gain, energy loss, insomnia, and depression, which can become sever enough to lead to suicidal thoughts. Other side effects include increased aggression, breast tenderness, loss of libido, acne, acid reflux, gallstones and fertility problems. Progesterone also promotes a number of cancers as it is known to activate human papilloma viruses. These viruses are best known for causing cervical cancer. What most people are unaware of is that they have also been linked to breast, prostate, nasopharyngeal and skin cancers.

Progesterone creams should only be used in very rare cases, such as extreme cases of endometriosis. And even with these rare cases these creams should only be used on a very short term basis. Using them long term or in high doses will only get a person from the frying pan in to the fire as they create a completely new and very dangerous hormone imbalance.

Tips on balancing the hormones
The most important thing someone can do if they have a hormone imbalance is to cleanse their liver. And I do not mean with the olive oil, lemon juice and magnesium flushes. All these do is allow people to create pseudo-gallstones from the chemical reaction of the olive oil and lemon juice. When I say liver cleanse I mean with digestive bitters. Bitters are bitter tasting herbs that stimulate the bitter receptors on the tongue. When this happens the vagus nerve is stimulated, which causes the liver to flush. For this reason it is important to drink plenty of water throughout the day when using them to prevent from getting sick. Large doses are not needed. You only need to be able to taste them, so a small amount on the tongue several times a week is sufficient. The reason that cleansing the liver is so important is that the liver is a primary regulator for the hormones. If hormone levels are too high this indicates that the liver is not doing its job of breaking them down properly.

A couple of other suggestions include maintaining the intestinal flora, eating more phytoestrogen rich foods, and avoid foods that tend to have actual estrogens like beef, chicken, and dairy. The intestinal flora are aided by fiber sources, which it feeds on. The flora help to further break down estrogen metabolites and aid in their elimination. Phytoestrogens are extremely weak estrogen-like compounds:

http://medcapsules.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2368

They antagonize stronger estrogens by locking up estrogen receptors. This blocks the actions of stronger estrogens produced by the body, and those from the environment and foods. In fact that is what the DIM you are taking is doing.

Focusing on the adrenals is also important as they also produce sex hormones to help cushion the hormonal shift that occurs with menopause, either natural or surgical.

Vitex (chaste tree berry) and wild yam are also good choices. Vitex helps the body to produce the progesterone the body needs rather than overloading it with progesterone like progesterone creams can do. Vitex is slow to take effect though. You have to be consistent with it for at least a couple of months to start seeing benefits. Wild yam has a very weak progesterone-like effect. It is also very supportive to the adrenal glands.

Your balance article implies that taking Vitex is a good thing, and the 2nd past post above reiterates that. Are you refering to not using creams, even though your balance article says to use them, but vitex is ok as it is more subtle on the body?

Vitex is not the actual hormone. It can help stimulate the formation of progesterone so the body can produce what it needs rather than creating artificially high levels as with progesterone creams. Vitex is also a weak effect taking several months to even build up to therapeutic levels.

I don't like the use of actual progesterone except in rare circumstances where a quick effect is needed such as in cases of severe endometriosis. Even then I I only recommend small doses and for no more than 14 days out of the month. When progesterone creams are applied to the skin the progesterone absorbs through the skin where the progesterone builds up in the fat tissues. It does not all go right in to the bloodstream as the sales sites try to claim. This is also why the application sites are rotated to spread out the build up of progesterone in different fat tissues. From the fat tissue the progesterone will slowly excreted in to the blood.

If done on a daily basis though the progesterone will continue building up more and more in the fat tissues creating dangerous, abnormally high levels.