MedCapsules Forum
13 Year old girl with severe Stomach Cramps - Endometriosis or Harmone Imbalance? - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: 13 Year old girl with severe Stomach Cramps - Endometriosis or Harmone Imbalance? (/showthread.php?tid=5285)

13 Year old girl with severe Stomach Cramps - Endometriosis or Harmone Imbalance? - vk79 - 10-30-2013 09:35 AM

My 13 year old, gets this acute pain in her lower right abdomen (pelvic area) and this started recently and so far, she has had 3 episodes. She started her periods exactly 2 years ago.
She gets this may be a week or two before getting her periods. The pain is so bad, she feels nausea, throws up and can't even stand straight. The pain was so bad she couldn’t stand.
The first time (July 26) she got this pain, we were traveling in India and thought she had some kind of bacterial infection like Amoebiosis and the local doctor gave her Antibiotics. She felt better after a day or two. A week later (Agu 5) , she got her periods.
The second time (Aug 26), we had to rush her to ER , she had an ultrasound done and found the uterus was all normal, but the cyst on the right ovary had ruptured. Following that episode, she was diagnosed with Dengue fever (viral infection thru mosquitoes) and again a week later (Sept 5), she got her periods.
The third time (Oct 17th) , again we had to rush her to ER , another ultrasound was performed and this time around the surgeons at UoM Childrens Hospital thought it was for sure a sign of appendicitis and said it needs to be removed. Just before the surgery, we requested the doctors repeat the ultrasound and to our surprise, they found no evidence of appendicitis or fluid. They did cancel the surgery. Now, two weeks later (Oct-29), she gets her periods.

We just took her to Adolescence OBGYN and She believes it could be related to or due to

a) Endometriosis - Can’t accurately identify it unless a laparoscopic surgery is performed.

b) the ovulation plain, when the fluid is also released, can cause irritation to the endometrium lining, which could be causing this pain.

c) Doesn’t believe there’s any imbalance in the hormones (as her periods have been somewhat regular and only this past 3-4 months that it’s been off the chart)

And either ways, she wants to put my child on a birth control pill. Knowing that she is only 13 and the long-term consequences involved, and as a parent don’t want her to get on the pill. At the same time, it’s really devastating to see your child going thru this pain which is affecting her studies as well as her extra-curricular activities. She is a very active child with almost 10 hours of swimming per week, plus music and extra load with Advanced Math.

In my mind, I don’t think its Endometriosis as the pain occurs before she gets her period and I’m leaning toward the ovulation pain. We are planning to take her to Endocrinologist and an Infectious Disease Doctor specializing in Tropical disease just rule out any other possibilities.

Any suggestions that you can provide would be greatly helpful.

RE: 13 Year old girl with severe Stomach Cramps - Endometriosis or Harmone Imbalance? - Charisgal - 11-01-2013 12:04 PM

Just some initial thoughts ...

it could be possible the pain and periods are unrelated. They SEEM related but just consider the possibility they might not be related. Then you could be looking at problems with gallbladder, pancreas, liver, etc. I would be surprised that someone so young would have problems with those, but just a thought.

it may just be her hormones out of whack or in the process of getting balanced out. Perhaps some progesterone cream might help. I would avoid 'the pill' as like you already know, they really mess up things. They should be able to test her hormone levels. Perhaps some adaptogenic herbs that'll help her body balance its hormones?

Pain that severe is worrisome for sure and as a mom myself, I'd be very concerned, too. The ovarian cyst sounds like the 'smoking gun'. I'd be finding out why she got a cyst on her ovary.

Wish I could be more help. Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

RE: 13 Year old girl with severe Stomach Cramps - Endometriosis or Harmone Imbalance? - vk79 - 11-05-2013 07:17 AM

(11-01-2013 12:04 PM)Charisgal Wrote:  Just some initial thoughts ...

it could be possible the pain and periods are unrelated. They SEEM related but just consider the possibility they might not be related. Then you could be looking at problems with gallbladder, pancreas, liver, etc. I would be surprised that someone so young would have problems with those, but just a thought.

it may just be her hormones out of whack or in the process of getting balanced out. Perhaps some progesterone cream might help. I would avoid 'the pill' as like you already know, they really mess up things. They should be able to test her hormone levels. Perhaps some adaptogenic herbs that'll help her body balance its hormones?

Pain that severe is worrisome for sure and as a mom myself, I'd be very concerned, too. The ovarian cyst sounds like the 'smoking gun'. I'd be finding out why she got a cyst on her ovary.

Wish I could be more help. Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Thanks a lot for your input Charisgal,
Actually I am the dad.. mom gave me the write up and I posted it.
My daughter is fine and normal now. Mom took an appointment with Infectious Diseases Doc.
I am also waiting for the input from James as I highly respect his knowledge and have been following him for a while.
Thanks

RE: 13 Year old girl with severe Stomach Cramps - Endometriosis or Harmone Imbalance? - James - 12-31-2013 06:27 AM

(10-30-2013 09:35 AM)vk79 Wrote:  My 13 year old, gets this acute pain in her lower right abdomen (pelvic area) and this started recently and so far, she has had 3 episodes. She started her periods exactly 2 years ago.
She gets this may be a week or two before getting her periods. The pain is so bad, she feels nausea, throws up and can't even stand straight. The pain was so bad she couldn’t stand.
The first time (July 26) she got this pain, we were traveling in India and thought she had some kind of bacterial infection like Amoebiosis and the local doctor gave her Antibiotics. She felt better after a day or two. A week later (Agu 5) , she got her periods.
The second time (Aug 26), we had to rush her to ER , she had an ultrasound done and found the uterus was all normal, but the cyst on the right ovary had ruptured. Following that episode, she was diagnosed with Dengue fever (viral infection thru mosquitoes) and again a week later (Sept 5), she got her periods.
The third time (Oct 17th) , again we had to rush her to ER , another ultrasound was performed and this time around the surgeons at UoM Childrens Hospital thought it was for sure a sign of appendicitis and said it needs to be removed. Just before the surgery, we requested the doctors repeat the ultrasound and to our surprise, they found no evidence of appendicitis or fluid. They did cancel the surgery. Now, two weeks later (Oct-29), she gets her periods.

We just took her to Adolescence OBGYN and She believes it could be related to or due to

a) Endometriosis - Can’t accurately identify it unless a laparoscopic surgery is performed.

b) the ovulation plain, when the fluid is also released, can cause irritation to the endometrium lining, which could be causing this pain.

c) Doesn’t believe there’s any imbalance in the hormones (as her periods have been somewhat regular and only this past 3-4 months that it’s been off the chart)

And either ways, she wants to put my child on a birth control pill. Knowing that she is only 13 and the long-term consequences involved, and as a parent don’t want her to get on the pill. At the same time, it’s really devastating to see your child going thru this pain which is affecting her studies as well as her extra-curricular activities. She is a very active child with almost 10 hours of swimming per week, plus music and extra load with Advanced Math.

In my mind, I don’t think its Endometriosis as the pain occurs before she gets her period and I’m leaning toward the ovulation pain. We are planning to take her to Endocrinologist and an Infectious Disease Doctor specializing in Tropical disease just rule out any other possibilities.

Any suggestions that you can provide would be greatly helpful.

It is hard to say, but I am thinking more along the lines of endometriosis. Lower right pain can be several things, but we know now it is not the appendix. The ureters are another possibility, but the pain would have to be from endometrial tissue being lodged in the urinary tract. Once there it would remain, but its growth would be influenced by the hormone fluctuations.

It would not hurt to try and balance the hormones. Here is my write up on the subject:

http://www.medcapsules.com/info/Hormone_Balance.htm

Supplementing with magnesium malate, 200mg twice daily can also help with the cramping.