MedCapsules Forum
How to make a formulation taste good? - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: How to make a formulation taste good? (/showthread.php?tid=5137)

How to make a formulation taste good? - dog8food - 09-13-2013 08:15 AM

So I'm thinking of making a formulation. Basically I'm wanting a general multivitamin, but I don't have enough money for so many herbs, so the herbs I selected are as follows:

Alfalfa
Nettle
Spirulina
Chlorella
Amla
(possibly) nutritional yeast

So that I don't have to swallow so many pills each day, I would like to take the powder directly, but this would probably taste really bad. Are there any ingredients I can use to make it more palatable?

RE: How to make a formulation taste good? - James - 09-13-2013 09:49 PM

(09-13-2013 08:15 AM)dog8food Wrote:  So I'm thinking of making a formulation. Basically I'm wanting a general multivitamin, but I don't have enough money for so many herbs, so the herbs I selected are as follows:

Alfalfa
Nettle
Spirulina
Chlorella
Amla
(possibly) nutritional yeast

So that I don't have to swallow so many pills each day, I would like to take the powder directly, but this would probably taste really bad. Are there any ingredients I can use to make it more palatable?

Nettle leaf actually has a really nice taste and is one of the best nutritional sources so make that your primary. Alfalfa does not taste too bad, just a slight hint of bitterness and it is also more nutritional than the herbs listed below it. So make that your second herd on the list. Spirulina, a cyanobacteria, and chlorella, an algae, do not taste that great and both are high protein, which you do not need a lot of. Chlorella is actually the better of the two as well regarding health effects so I would focus more on the chlorella. Amla is pretty bitter and you do not want an excess anyway due to the tannins. Nutritional yeast is a great source of B vitamins in particular so it would be good to add. But yeasts are often bitter. I like licorice root to help mask nasty flavors since it is very sweet and has so many health benefits. Otherwise stevia is a good choice.

Another thing I used to do to get down some herbs was to get mango nectar and mix the powders in a little nectar when I went to take the herbs. The mango nectar is thick making it easier to mix powders in to and the mango has a strong flavor that can mask the flavor of many of the herbs.