MedCapsules Forum
External Skin Hydration - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: External Skin Hydration (/showthread.php?tid=5096)

External Skin Hydration - dog8food - 09-12-2013 06:47 AM

My wife is tired of using creams and lotions that seem to be a waste of money (and probably are). She buys specialized cream for hands, eye, face, body.... it's expensive

Are there some natural oils/butters you can recommend for various parts of the skin? Thanks.

RE: External Skin Hydration - James - 09-13-2013 09:12 PM

(09-12-2013 06:47 AM)dog8food Wrote:  My wife is tired of using creams and lotions that seem to be a waste of money (and probably are). She buys specialized cream for hands, eye, face, body.... it's expensive

Are there some natural oils/butters you can recommend for various parts of the skin? Thanks.

There are a few things that can be done.

First of all the skin needs to maintain an acidic mantle. Soaps are highly alkaline drying and damaging the skin. A simple solution is to mix a 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid in 16 ounces of water and use it as a skin spritz after bathing to restore the skin's natural pH.

Secondly, a simple cream can be made by melting 4 ounces of mango butter then adding 2 ounces of avocado oil, preferably unrefined. Mix well and let the mix cool. Any essential oils such as palmarosa, which also helps can be added at this point. Let sit overnight and the cream will harden. A small dab can be applied to the skin after bathing and spritzing with the citric acid solution and rubbed it.

You may need to adjust the ratio of oil to butter depending on the temperature where you live so it does not become too hard or soft. Hotter environments cut the amount of avocado oil some and inn colder weather increase it.

If her hair and skin is dry this could also be symptoms of hypothyroidism. Basal body temperature along with symptoms is a much more accurate way of determining if hypothyroidism exists compared to lab tests that frequently miss hypothyroidism.

RE: External Skin Hydration - dog8food - 09-14-2013 06:45 AM

Thanks.

I like the idea of making a cream, as you know it's hard to "wean" women off creams altogether. Are there essential oils to stay away from? As I know my wife likes certain scents such as lavender, Jasmine, etc.

RE: External Skin Hydration - James - 09-14-2013 07:14 AM

(09-14-2013 06:45 AM)dog8food Wrote:  Thanks.

I like the idea of making a cream, as you know it's hard to "wean" women off creams altogether. Are there essential oils to stay away from? As I know my wife likes certain scents such as lavender, Jasmine, etc.

There are some very toxic essential oils such as wormwood that should be avoided. And some oils can make the skin very sensitive to light such as citruses. So she should research them. Palmarosa is great for the skin and hair though and is not dangerous.

If she is getting jasmine it is likely synthetic or heavily cut. Real jasmine essential oil wholesales for $150.00 an ounce.

There are various lavenders all with different scents. They are pretty safe though. Personally I don't care for lavenders. They smell like soap to me. One of my favorites for calming is sweet orange. I like bitter orange as well.

RE: External Skin Hydration - dog8food - 04-29-2014 10:06 AM

thanks. what other oils are good for the skin/hair?I see sweet almond oil advertised as nutrient rich. i've tried coconut oil before but it smells stale after a while.

RE: External Skin Hydration - mtl777 - 04-29-2014 11:09 AM

(04-29-2014 10:06 AM)dog8food Wrote:  thanks. what other oils are good for the skin/hair?I see sweet almond oil advertised as nutrient rich. i've tried coconut oil before but it smells stale after a while.

Do a research on macadamia nut oil and try it. It's better than coconut oil. Here's a source:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/now-foods-organic-macadamia-nut-oil-16-fl-oz-liquid