MedCapsules Forum
Too much bitterness? - Printable Version

+- MedCapsules Forum (http://medcapsules.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Lobby (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask James (/forumdisplay.php?fid=287)
+--- Thread: Too much bitterness? (/showthread.php?tid=4982)

Too much bitterness? - Hypo - 06-26-2013 08:36 AM

Hi James,

As you know I've been taking Tribulus Terrestris (3x 1000mg a day, about 20 minutes before meals) for a while now. Recently I noticed that the Tribulus Terrestris tastes really bitter if I don't swallow it right away but instead chew on it first. In fact, it tastes much more bitter than your Live-R-ight formula when emptied on the tongue! (Which I've been doing for several months too in order to stimulate the vagus nerve and support digestion.) Hence I was wondering;

1) Does a more bitter taste imply more stimulation for the vagus nerve and thus more digestive support? (Or does every degree of bitterness yield about equal vagus nerve stimulation?)

2) I suppose there's no use in emptying the Live-R-ight formulate caps on my tongue if I'm already chewing down the (far more bitter) Tribulus Terrestris?

3) Also, is there any downside/risk in stimulating the vagus nerve too much (i.e. by 'consuming/tasting too much bitterness')?
I must admit I've been feeling a little 'ill' since chewing down the Tribulus Terrestris three times a day and I have also started to crave plain water like crazy (perhaps a way of the body telling it wants/needs to flush out more toxins?). I figure this could just be a sign the liver is getting a good cleanse (and the feeling ill would then probably subside after a while), but perhaps it's a sign I'm overdoing the vagus-nerve-stimulation?

RE: Too much bitterness? - James - 08-31-2013 03:35 AM

(06-26-2013 08:36 AM)Hypo Wrote:  Hi James,

As you know I've been taking Tribulus Terrestris (3x 1000mg a day, about 20 minutes before meals) for a while now. Recently I noticed that the Tribulus Terrestris tastes really bitter if I don't swallow it right away but instead chew on it first. In fact, it tastes much more bitter than your Live-R-ight formula when emptied on the tongue! (Which I've been doing for several months too in order to stimulate the vagus nerve and support digestion.) Hence I was wondering;

1) Does a more bitter taste imply more stimulation for the vagus nerve and thus more digestive support? (Or does every degree of bitterness yield about equal vagus nerve stimulation?)

2) I suppose there's no use in emptying the Live-R-ight formulate caps on my tongue if I'm already chewing down the (far more bitter) Tribulus Terrestris?

3) Also, is there any downside/risk in stimulating the vagus nerve too much (i.e. by 'consuming/tasting too much bitterness')?
I must admit I've been feeling a little 'ill' since chewing down the Tribulus Terrestris three times a day and I have also started to crave plain water like crazy (perhaps a way of the body telling it wants/needs to flush out more toxins?). I figure this could just be a sign the liver is getting a good cleanse (and the feeling ill would then probably subside after a while), but perhaps it's a sign I'm overdoing the vagus-nerve-stimulation?

The more intense the bitterness the stronger the effect. So you can use the tribulus as a bitter. The main difference is the Live-R-Ight also has a lot of liver support as where the tribulus would just be a bitter.

Can you over stimulate the vagus nerve? Its possible. Vagal stimulation for example can also lead to a drop in blood pressure. And detoxing too quick can make you feel like you have the flu. That is why it is a good idea to start out slow and always make sure to drink plenty of water.

Your craving for water is likely due to the increased demand by the body to help flush out the system. Normally the flu-like symptoms from starting bitters only lasts 3-4 days.